Dinzag's AKS-12 w/ laminate furniture

It's no small task to mod a AK RSB to fit the Saiga 12 gas tube and trunnion.

post-1293-1149736846_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1149736864_thumb.jpg

Just cutting it to fit is a bitch and then you have to line it up perfect and attach it.

I used the JB method for lack of better options so forgive me for what I had to do to my baby to prepare it.

OUCH! :cryss:

post-1293-1149737116_thumb.jpg

Not tryin to jack your post bro!

I was the first though :haha:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one possible solution to what I wish to accomplish appearance wise. I was more referring to how Dinzag made it in which the gas tube would be removable like with a regular AK. I have thought of gutting a rear sight block to enable me to just have it go over the existing gas system that is on the S-12 but it would be much more interesting to do it how Dinzag did with having the rear sight block function in the same manner as a regular AK does. Thank you much for the pictures Cobra, that will provide much insight if I decide against doing it how Dinzag did.

Alexey, bro, get your paws on an AKM/AK-74 lower handguard retainer.

Then modify it to the dimensions supplied. The 3D model I created

does have all the dimensions, I just didn't show them in the drawing.

It's an AK for god's sakes - dremel fu!

Dear dinzag!!!

You could not, on your drawing, place all the sizes long?

It would enable me to make the given detail.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

:smoke:

Cobra, jack away bro! It's your fault I caught the damn disease to begin with. Fortunately it's a disease I can live with... Any insight you can offer is mucho appreciated! I would like to see some more modded guns on the forum.

Gunsmithcat, Cobra's method is used by the factory. It is also the most non-invasive to the integrity of the gun if you fuck it up. It's basically a rear sight block modded & attached to the rear end of the factory gas tube. I believe Rick-16 did the same as well.

To do it like I did with a quick detachable tube, no mods are needed to the trunnion. Just shim the RSB so it's centered and at the proper height. You need to duplicate the height of the groove where the dust cover locks in and make the rest of it sit down on the barrel nice & square. The gas tube is the factory gas tube shortened with HG retainers welded on. A standard AK tube's flutes are too long.

Easy as pie right? Well, not really. The steel is pretty thin on the retainers and tube so don't blow through with the welder. You will need some welding skills. You strip the two retainers and the rear locking portion off an AK gas tube and put them on the shortened S-12/S-20 gas tube. Making that gas tube was the most difficult part of the entire build.

Alexey, I'll see what I can do for some more #'s for you.

Edited by dinzag

Have the factory make a hundred of them, you can then sell them to us in the USA for a nice profit!!! :up:

That cardboard mock up looks EXCELLENT, Alexey!! If that were steel, it would be perfect!

Have the factory make a hundred of them, you can then sell them to us in the USA for a nice profit!!! :up:

That cardboard mock up looks EXCELLENT, Alexey!! If that were steel, it would be perfect!

To sell, it is impossible!!!

It is a personal design dinzag!

Yours faithfully Alexey.

To sell, it is impossible!!!

It is a personal design dinzag!

Yours faithfully Alexey.

Actually Stokstad came up with the whole idea.

Sell away!

(send me a couple side-folders, PG's & 8 round mags & we'll call it good :angel: )

Cobra, jack away bro! It's your fault I caught the damn disease to begin with. Fortunately it's a disease I can live with... Any insight you can offer is mucho appreciated! I would like to see some more modded guns on the forum.

Gunsmithcat, Cobra's method is used by the factory. It is also the most non-invasive to the integrity of the gun if you fuck it up. It's basically a rear sight block modded & attached to the rear end of the factory gas tube. I believe Rick-16 did the same as well.

While on the subject, here is rick16's RSB. He mounted it a little fartherf forward. I don't have my catalog in front of me but I believe this is how the Russians do it as well. This way does not require as much work because the gas tube is much easier to fit the RSB over than the rear trunnion.

Only problem is this way does not leave enough space for the standard upper hg.

post-1293-1149949649_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1149949723_thumb.jpg

Excuse me as I very badly know English language,

And me this word is not clear: (send me a couple side-folders, PG's and 8 round mags and we'll call it good )

Once again excuse.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

Some Izhmash Side folding buttstocks, Factory Pistol Grips and some factory Saiga-12 8 Round Magazines!!

:lolol:

I was kidding of course, unless you really wanted to send me some! ;)

Good point Cobra, the factory ones have no upper handguard in that configuration. :up:

Edited by dinzag
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks SgtRock! Glad you like! :up:

There's a lot of material to remove on them puppies, but usually under all that finish there's some pretty wood. Post some pics when you get 'er done...

Here are a few shots of my full Cobra/Dinzag/nyclu3 conversion on my S-20 :smoke: . I also have a shot of my brother's S-12 in the middle of his full conversion; lacking the gas tube/RSB/FSB conversion. I just picked up another AK kit for the completion of his and the start of my S-12 that I hope to order when I get back. B)

Here are a few shots of my full Cobra/Dinzag/nyclu3 conversion on my S-20 :smoke: . I also have a shot of my brother's S-12 in the middle of his full conversion; lacking the gas tube/RSB/FSB conversion. I just picked up another AK kit for the completion of his and the start of my S-12 that I hope to order when I get back. B)

Man that is sweet.

Dinzag, how big of a PITA is it to replicate your work or would you or anyone else be able to do it for me (of course for $ ;) ) ? I suck with things like that and am thinking about doing a Saiga 12 AK style conversion like that as a fun gun as my current S12 is my HD gun.

I am thinking about something almost exactly like yours but with a Dragonuv style wood stock/grip that I would order from BRG3.

This is not an immediate thing as I don't even have a second S12 yet, but it is on my wishlist.

nyclu3 - I love the AK'd Shotties!!! :wub: Nice work bro! :up:

epsylum - Thanks! If you aren't in Michigan, I can't help you much myself...I don't have a FFL.

However, I am tight with a FFL/Gunsmith. I don't know the legalities of out-of-state gun work, but I can have him look into it.

I can get you all the parts if you can find someone to weld the RSB on. Shortened & modded gas tube & shaved down RSB, plus lower retainer. Can do the raised front sight as well. I'd supply detailed drawings with key alignment dimensions. PM me & we'll hash out details when you are ready. It's pretty easy to duplicate, the main thing is fitting all the parts & getting that RSB square.

I'm working an putting together a S-410 kit for a guy right now...

Edited by dinzag
epsylum - Thanks! If you aren't in Michigan, I can't help you much myself...I don't have a FFL.

However, I am tight with a FFL/Gunsmith. I don't know the legalities of out-of-state gun work, but I can have him look into it.

I can get you all the parts if you can find someone to weld the RSB on. Shortened & modded gas tube & shaved down RSB, plus lower retainer. Can do the raised front sight as well. I'd supply detailed drawings with key alignment dimensions. PM me & we'll hash out details when you are ready. It's pretty easy to duplicate, the main thing is fitting all the parts & getting that RSB square.

I'm working an putting together a S-410 kit for a guy right now...

Sounds good. When I get to it, I will buy all the parts first from you and see if Tony can weld on the RSB when he does the conversion on it.

Thanks