Ah...the fabled "30mm grenade". It'll go really well with my 10mm pulse rifle (they mostly come at night.....mostly!)

Too bad each and every one of them would have to be a registered DD.

Yeah, It would look great next to my phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range!!

FRAG-12%20Projectile_1.jpg

"The FRAG-12 HE-AP round incorporates a shaped charge to allow it to penetrate 1/2-inch steel armor plate. The Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory (MCWL) states that "the main reason for experimentation [with the FRAG-12 ammo family] is to examine these rounds as potential improvements to the combat-effectiveness of shotguns in urban areas [for urban warfare operations], using shotguns for stopping vehicles [vehicle interdiction] at roadblocks and checkpoints, barricade attack, and remote probing of potential Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)."

I'll take 5000. :angel:

"The FRAG-12 HE-AP round incorporates a shaped charge to allow it to penetrate 1/2-inch steel armor plate. The Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory (MCWL) states that "the main reason for experimentation [with the FRAG-12 ammo family] is to examine these rounds as potential improvements to the combat-effectiveness of shotguns in urban areas [for urban warfare operations], using shotguns for stopping vehicles [vehicle interdiction] at roadblocks and checkpoints, barricade attack, and remote probing of potential Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)."

I'll take 5000. :angel:

Actually the HE-AP (high explosive- armor pericing) will penetrate an undisclosed amount of inches of steel plate. The HE (high explosive) will blow a one inch hole in 1/4inch by its self. There is also an anti-personel round.

Edited by Mike Davidson

203 might be seen as overkill. Plus if they already have shotguns in ample supply from the civilian market, why bother with 40mm? They may have decided that a soldier with 50x 12g frag shells would be more effective than a soldier with 10x 40mm frag shells.

I would personally like a 40mm launcher on my AK for the sake of completeness, but obviously we have stupid laws that prevent that. I think that a 12 ga grenade round would be great because it would really strike at the heart of what makes a weapon a DD and what makes it "especially suitable for sportuing purposes." A shotgun that is undeniably in both categories creates an interesting dilemma that a 40mm sporting shotgun might not.

Actually a 203 round doesn't have that big of a explosion, I couldn't even imagine what the damage area for the frag-12 would be maybe max 3-4 meters and at that I couldn't see the fragmentation doing a extreme amount of damage unless a direct hit on someone... but why not just shoot them with your rifle? It is not a combat effective round. Why would the military or witch ever manufacturer making the frag-12 factor in the availability of civilian shotguns? The military has plenty of 203's already. Have you ever seen a live frag grenade for sale in the civilian market? What is the probability the frag-12 will be available to the civilian market?

quote name='beerslurpy' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:08 PM' post='85016']

203 might be seen as overkill. Plus if they already have shotguns in ample supply from the civilian market, why bother with 40mm? They may have decided that a soldier with 50x 12g frag shells would be more effective than a soldier with 10x 40mm frag shells.

I would personally like a 40mm launcher on my AK for the sake of completeness, but obviously we have stupid laws that prevent that. I think that a 12 ga grenade round would be great because it would really strike at the heart of what makes a weapon a DD and what makes it "especially suitable for sportuing purposes." A shotgun that is undeniably in both categories creates an interesting dilemma that a 40mm sporting shotgun might not.

Edited by setlab

Perfect for the new "door buster" 12 ga. that attaches to the M16 and ect. and uses all of our 12ga. saiga mags. I understand that it is a bolt type action- so blow the doors and windows --- Then charge in with rifle and shoot-um-up.

G O B

There was a guy in my unit the first time we went to the gulf in 1991 that tried to bust a door with an M203 HE round. He was too close for the shell to arm itself and bounced back and detonated close enough to him where he got schrapnel from it. Helluva way to get a purple heart. I can't remember which if it was 20meters or 20ft for an 203 HE to get enough rotations to arm.

lol, you got to be fucking retarted to do that... somebody tell him to do that or did he just do it on his own? For some reason I'm thinking its 10-15 meters for it to arm.

There was a guy in my unit the first time we went to the gulf in 1991 that tried to bust a door with an M203 HE round. He was too close for the shell to arm itself and bounced back and detonated close enough to him where he got schrapnel from it. Helluva way to get a purple heart. I can't remember which if it was 20meters or 20ft for an 203 HE to get enough rotations to arm.