newbie question about a bipod

:killer:

hey folks:

Just a lurking newbie here, managed to purchase a .223 Saiga last month.

Here in the frozen wasteland of upstate NY, been waiting for warmer weather to play with it seriously.

Was wondering, any help on what sort of bipod would bolt up easily?

Its not converted in any way, still the same as it came out of the factory.

And while you all have some great looking guns that you have converted,this one is staying stock.

but I do want to put a bipod on it.

Any assitance would be appreciated.

Mongo

One like this?!?!?

I put a standard QD swivel in the front of the forearm, where the old lug was... and then a standard bipod hooks right up to that.

its not the BEST pic of this setup... but it should give you an idea of where... and how...

:smoke:

s223tweak1b.jpg

Yes!

Thats exactly what i was thinking, but i have not looked to closely at the front sling nub. Its easily removeable then?

And its good to hear from a fellow NY'er. I'm located near Buffalo, closer to lake Ontario.

BTW, where did you get that buttstock, it looks interesting.

MONGO

Howdy neighbor! I am a little west of Syracuse, myself...

The front lug is just a screw... pop it out... it falls apart. you can replace it with an aftermarket sling lug.

That stock is a chinese MAK90 stock. J&G sales had em on clearance a while back so I bought a bunch.

They may still have them... check the clearance aisle... LOL

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW....

26095Saiga_handguard_gas_tube_-1.JPG

Note the modified Saiga swivel on the handguard front.

If you take the sling loop off and widen the slots in the cylinder, make the slot a little longer & flatten it's sides (a pretty simple file job) -a Harris bipod fits right on w/o need to add a QD swivel. The loop can be replaced if desired as well.

Remember: the Harris bipod has a provision for attaching a sling to it anyway (QD type).

I added the side swivel for grins.

Saigafrontend.jpg

Jus' a idea.

Lollygager :smoke:

Edited by lollygagger
  • 1 month later...
One like this?!?!?

I put a standard QD swivel in the front of the forearm, where the old lug was... and then a standard bipod hooks right up to that.

its not the BEST pic of this setup... but it should give you an idea of where... and how...

Indy,

Any trick to swapping out the stock sling swivel? I bought a versa-pod with an extra attachment point, want to try to mount that to my .223. If it is as simple as unscrewing one and screwing in the other...i think i can handle it....

I think Indy will probably tell you to just remove the Saiga swivel and screw in a short wood/plastic thread QD stud.

I just finished playing around with a Verspod for application on the Saiga & AK forearms. The Versapod "palm rest" attachment was used.

I found the palm rest to maybe be fine for a wide wood stock on a bolt benchrest or varmit rifle -but too wide for my application. I spent alot of time & effort recontouring it to fit and look decent...too much time & effort.

In use, it was okay, but I have to admit that the somewhat less costly Harris bipod is better.

The Parker-Hale zoomie look of the Versapod got me to purchase it. But, it slops around too much & hangs too low (allowing the weapon to flip over!) for my taste.

I have not decided yet what weapon I'll leave it on -probably a bolt afterall.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Indy,

Any trick to swapping out the stock sling swivel? I bought a versa-pod with an extra attachment point, want to try to mount that to my .223. If it is as simple as unscrewing one and screwing in the other...i think i can handle it....

Well....

I think Indy will probably tell you to just remove the Saiga swivel and screw in a short wood/plastic thread QD stud.

Yuppers... thats about it, really... might have to trim the inside of the screw shorter with a dremel... but thats what I used... :up: