Buying the Saiga-12 in Maryland

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Saiga 12, but I understand that Maryland law classifies it as a "restricted" weapon. I've heard that in Maryland, even class 01 FFLs cannot process interstate handgun transfers... does the same apply for the Saiga 12? What is the best way to buy the Saiga in MD? Does anyone know local dealers who stock it? (I'm in the DC area, but MD is small state, so I'll go anywhere if I have to.) I hope to get one of the post-recall 19" barrel guns, if possible. How much should I expect to pay more to buy the gun in MD than I see elsewhere?

Also, if I do get my hands on the Saiga, is it possible to install a pistol grip at a later date? I was lead to believe Maryland still has the "two deadly features" Assault Weapon Ban, and as such, all of the conversions I see with the folding stock AND the pistol grip would be illegal to buy new - is there a MD legal way to convert to a pistol grip and still have a fixed stock.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Saiga 12, but I understand that Maryland law classifies it as a "restricted" weapon. I've heard that in Maryland, even class 01 FFLs cannot process interstate handgun transfers... does the same apply for the Saiga 12? What is the best way to buy the Saiga in MD? Does anyone know local dealers who stock it? (I'm in the DC area, but MD is small state, so I'll go anywhere if I have to.) I hope to get one of the post-recall 19" barrel guns, if possible. How much should I expect to pay more to buy the gun in MD than I see elsewhere?

Also, if I do get my hands on the Saiga, is it possible to install a pistol grip at a later date? I was lead to believe Maryland still has the "two deadly features" Assault Weapon Ban, and as such, all of the conversions I see with the folding stock AND the pistol grip would be illegal to buy new - is there a MD legal way to convert to a pistol grip and still have a fixed stock.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell the Saiga-12 (or any Saiga) would not fall into the registered weapon list in MD. The "list" (http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf) does not list the Saiga anywhere on it. Yes, I realize that it states that all clones of weapons on the list are included regardless of the manufacturer, but under the technical definition the Saiga is NOT a clone of the AK. It also should be noted that the definition of the word "clone" as the use it is defined nowhere in the law as far as I can tell so there is a ton of slack in the law. The other gun that has a very similar issue is the AR-10.

Note: This is only my opinion and is not legal advice in any way.

Quick Edit:

Fromt the dictionary the definition of the word clone is "one that appears to be a copy of an original form". The Saiga is a derivative of the AK, but is not technically. (Once again this is my opinion). Also note, my dealer agreed and stated that the paperwork was not required for the Saiga 12 and Saiga 223 in MD.

-C4-

Edited by -C4-

Here in MD the Saiga transfers just like a pistol. Any FFL can do the xfer, you must have the Saiga xfered to the FFL, and the 7 day wait, one in 30 days, and extra paperwork are the same.

Contact your FFL and clear it with him first. Have the distributer ship the Saiga DIRECTLY to your FFL. The distributor needs your FFL's liscense on file. That can now be done by fax.

Save time by making shure you get the serial number when you order the Saiga-that way your paperwork can be sent to the state. Otherwise you will waste the time that it takes for shipping before you even get the paperwork started for the 7 day clock.

Where are you in Md, I can recommend a couple of FFL's REALCO in District Heights and The Gun Merchant on Kent Island. I have purchased Saiga's successfully through each of them.

G O B

Great! Thanks for the replies. I called up Atlantic Arms, and they have S-12s in stock for $369, although I still need to do the transfer since they don't sell direct. I'll have them give me the serial when I put the money down tommorrow or the day after.

I live in Hyattsville, near DC. Will the FFL I have perform the transfer also have the extra "scary weapon" paperwork, or do I need to get the forms myself?

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 26 2006, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here in MD the Saiga transfers just like a pistol. Any FFL can do the xfer, you must have the Saiga xfered to the FFL, and the 7 day wait, one in 30 days, and extra paperwork are the same.

Contact your FFL and clear it with him first. Have the distributer ship the Saiga DIRECTLY to your FFL. The distributor needs your FFL's liscense on file. That can now be done by fax.

Save time by making shure you get the serial number when you order the Saiga-that way your paperwork can be sent to the state. Otherwise you will waste the time that it takes for shipping before you even get the paperwork started for the 7 day clock.

Where are you in Md, I can recommend a couple of FFL's REALCO in District Heights and The Gun Merchant on Kent Island. I have purchased Saiga's successfully through each of them.

G O B

Which one in the MD list do you think it falls under? The only ones I could think of were (2) (AK-47) or (27) (AK in any form). However, if you look at all federal legislation there is a seperate spot for Saigas. If you want to be on the safe side you could always have them do the paperwork, but I still don't think that it is required. Can someone quote something that would prove otherwise?

-C4-

Ordered mine today - my local FFL seems to think it does not count as a registered weapon. Sadly, it doesn't seem like MD has a technical branch like the ATF that can answer this question once and for all.

Yeah, so far I haven't actually been able to get an absolute answer either way. You can actually call the State Police's Firearms Registration Section (or whatever they call it). The number listed in "the list" is (410) 799-0191. Pretty much what I have found is that like the AR-10 some people say "yes" and others say "no", but as far as I can tell there haven't been any cases on this subject.

-C4-

Right, the Kalisnikov action is "scary" and "evil"=so they must be regulated. The wait is 7 State Business days-you can take possesion on the 8th. Also only one in 30 days (actually 37 because the state starts the 7 day period AFTER the 30 day limit from the last purchase. (wich started after you took possesion|

G O B

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 28 2006, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, the Kalisnikov action is "scary" and "evil"=so they must be regulated. The wait is 7 State Business days-you can take possesion on the 8th. Also only one in 30 days (actually 37 because the state starts the 7 day period AFTER the 30 day limit from the last purchase. (wich started after you took possesion|

G O B

For anyone that also isn't aware it is very easy to get around the 30 day thing by becoming a collector. Steps:

1) Get Form

2) Fill Out Form

3) Noterize Form

4) Mail Work

5) Wait

6) Buy Lots Of Guns.

-C4-

B)-->
QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 28 2006, 08:07 PM)
<!--quotec-->

G O B

For anyone that also isn't aware it is very easy to get around the 30 day thing by becoming a collector. Steps:

1) Get Form

2) Fill Out Form

3) Noterize Form

4) Mail Work

5) Wait

6) Buy Lots Of Guns.

-C4-

If you mean getting an ATF C&R license, this site is very helpful: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/h...ffl03/index.asp

It costs $30 for three years. No notarization is necessary. Mine took less than four weeks to arrive. But, it won't usually be helpful buying any other than guns on the C&R list. :smoke:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 28 2006, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

G O B

1) Get Form

2) Fill Out Form

3) Noterize Form

4) Mail Work

5) Wait

6) Buy Lots Of Guns.

-C4-

If you mean getting an ATF C&R license, this site is very helpful: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/h...ffl03/index.asp

It costs $30 for three years. No notarization is necessary. Mine took less than four weeks to arrive. But, it won't usually be helpful buying any other than guns on the C&R list. :smoke:

No I didn't mean a C&R. MD has a regulation in which you can only buy one registered weapon every 30 days, e.g. pistol, ak, etc. You can however become a "Designated Collector" in MD so that regulation no longer applies. The MD form isn't any sort of a license so you can't buy guns and have them shipped to you.

-C4-