stove pipe saiga

Typically a "stove pipe" is when your shell fails to eject, and is caught between the bolt carrier and the dust cover, sticking up and out at an angle, often with a hint of smoke still oozing from it, very much looking like a chimney. Hence the term "stove pipe".

Now... as to the why's of it... not sure.

:smoke:

What kind of ammo you running? I had a few myself with some SA stuff. Mine

LOVES Port. But now that I think of it I ran 5 boxes of SA last weekend with

no problems.

Give the bolt a good cleaning,clean the chamber real good and try her again.

CnRnut

What kind of ammo you running? I had a few myself with some SA stuff. Mine

LOVES Port. But now that I think of it I ran 5 boxes of SA last weekend with

no problems.

Give the bolt a good cleaning,clean the chamber real good and try her again.

CnRnut

Yeah it was with the SA ammo I just bought. Ill guess Ill have to open up that last case of port afterall. :unsure: Hopefully that solves it. It was kinda embarrasing infront of my friends, after I told them its an ak action rifle and could never jam.

Another possibility is the rifle equivalent of "limp wristing." The one and only time my Saiga malfunctioned was a stovepipe that I believe I caused. I was in the sitting position, facing uphill and with more than a normal amount of weight distributed way back from the rifle. Recoil, the hill, and the distribution pushed me back more than normal and it stovepiped. Don

The last time I shot my S-308 I think I also induced the rifle equivalent of a limp wrist. That particular shot was from a rest and I let the gun push me back more than usual and I wasn't holding onto the forend. Only my right hand was holding onto the gun. After I fired the shot there was a spent case halfway out of the gun pinned by the bolt carrier.

On my first trip to the range with my S-308 I was a little disappointed as it stovepiped quite a bit. I didn't have any problems with my Saiga 7.62x39 the first time out. I had green Blackjack buffers in both and realized the combination of the metal spacer on the S-308 recoil spring and the buffer were causing the bolt to short stroke. I took the buffer out and had no more problems that day. Since then I removed the metal spacer and reinstalled the buffer in it's place.

What lube are you using to lube the receiver, bolt carrier/bolt, recoil spring, gas piston/tube??

All of my 308 saiga's have never stove piped once with surplus south african 308 ball FMJ ammo never. But on the other hand i did try some indian 308 and its junk it would constantly stove pipe one round per mag with it due to each round has a different powder charge in it. But i went back to SA 308 ball ammo and again no stove pipes. Stove piping means the bolt carrier is short stroking its not going back far enough to fully eject the spent case. Its not going back far enough to even push the next round so its a problem in the slide travel. So the only thing that can cause that is the powder charge in the round isn't enough to operate the gas system or its the lube your using.

I don't have one semi-auto that likes indian ammo. Now i have to pull almost 640rds of indian ammo and either scrap it or change the powder charge so its shootable. I have heard some of the indian ammo is way too hot too.

Now since day 1 my saiga is lubed up with moly. I lube my receiver rails, bolt carrier/bolt, recoil spring and i put just a little on the gas piston,rod and tube too besides the trigger sear/hammer face/bottom of the slide were these parts mate when in operation.

Moly eliminates "all wear", reduces "all friction", prevents "all galling", stays wet and were you put it and it doesn't attract dirt too. It can lessen the trigger pull by up to 50% right away and more as it works into the pores of the metal too. The gun will cycle faster and smoother too. The Saiga will feel like a different gun with just by using moly in it.

I use moly in all my guns, my guns never leave home without it!!!!!!!

All my saiga's are straight out of the box orginal nothing added but moly and they function/cycle perfect as long as you shoot decent quality ammo. Why ruin a good thing by adding something thats not needed if it needed it the russians would of added it in the first place.

Edited by Unknown Poster

Interesting, the 1st time I heard the term "stovepipe" was used by an older shooter I know talking about when the base cplits of the case and the next shell run up and wedges into the case that ist still in the chamber, Like how stove pipe goes together. If it didn't eject, it was failt to eject, etc.

Anyway is this a conversion or the stock Saiga?

Edited by Onepoint
Interesting, the 1st time I heard the term "stovepipe" was used by an older shooter I know talking about when the base cplits of the case and the next shell run up and wedges into the case that ist still in the chamber, Like how stove pipe goes together. If it didn't eject, it was failt to eject, etc.

Anyway is this a conversion or the stock Saiga?

This is a stock saiga. It only started doing it with this last batch of ammo, I think. I checked and found a buffer in it also. I just bought the gun last week and shot 5 boxes of port no problem. I ran out and then bought a battle pack of SA, I think thats when the problem started. I guess I should have put 2+2 together, but all my ak, saiga and vepr's have never malfunctioned in any way, with any ammo so I thought it could be the gun. Im going to remove the buffer tomorrow and open up my last case of port and let her rip. Hopefully the problem goes away. Thanks for givig me good sauggestions on where to look for problems. Chuck

I have two ammo cans of the linked Portuguese.

Havent had the chance to go shoot any yet... the bitch is unlinking them... cant just grab ammo and load up... gotta unload, pick up the links... THEN you can grab and go! LOL :lol:

:smoke: