Bullet Guides

Has anyone found some galvanized pipe to be not thick enough?

That's what I have found these past couple weeks. Today I tried to build one out of the same pipe that you can buy out of any hardware store, but just a little longer than the trunnion. It didn't work.....it just seemed that it wasn't thick enough. So, I tried a little shim made out of a Coors Light beer can.....still not enough. Then I started looking through my scrap metal collection. I found a piece of tubing that looked thicker than the pipe I was trying. So I pulled out the caliper and measured the pipe, and it came out to be about .001 smaller then an 1/8th an inch, maybe a little more than that. Mearsuring the tube, it came out to be exactly 1/8th of an inch.

So, I cut out a piece of the tube, using the measurements of the trunnion, drill the hole for the screw, and recess. Ran 5 rounds through by hand with no probloems, except the last round. The last round would get caught on the bullet guide. So I took it out and dremeled a little groove in it for the left hand feed. Placed it back in, and hand fed 7 rounds through it with any problems.

Took it out to the farm and ran 17 rounds through without any problems. I love this rifle!

I am using the Galil mags so this might make a difference in the bullet guides. But at $9.99 a piece (used), I just can't pass up that up.

That's why I used the 3000 psi pipe and "buffed" it down until the bolt just cleared. Pain in the rear, but it's better than the standard 150 psi pipe. I'm also using the Galil mags, NOT CLIPS, as I was corrected for saying, but mine are 50 rounders and so far, no jams. Got them new at CDNN for $29.99

So did you guys have to modify the Galil mags to fit? Are they metal or poly? Oh and i can attest to Dinzags feed ramp,the one he made me works great with modified Bulgarian waffles.

That's why I used the 3000 psi pipe and "buffed" it down until the bolt just cleared. Pain in the rear, but it's better than the standard 150 psi pipe. I'm also using the Galil mags, NOT CLIPS, as I was corrected for saying, but mine are 50 rounders and so far, no jams. Got them new at CDNN for $29.99
Edited by Pointer
So did you guys have to modify the Galil mags to fit? Are they metal or poly? Oh and i can attest to Dinzags followers,the one he made me works great with modified Bulgarian waffles.

I went with the Galil mags using this technique

AR15.com

No Mods to the Galil mags. As someone here posted on another thread about me using the Galil mags, they had slop from side to side. YES, they have a little bit of side to side wiggle, but when I move the mag from one side to the other, the most I see is about .060. Remember that I'm near sighted in one eye, and far sighted in the other. NO BS about that, and I build compressors and vacuum pumps that run as close as .0015 clearances. Getting Old SUCKS. But I don't think that that little bit of "slop" is worth worring about, I ain't running thru the woods hunting anyone, just siting on the poarch trying to get that damn coyote that's keeping me awake and it's also a good way to shut up the "thumper" that does not know when NORMAL people like to sleep. And here lately, the 2 of them are making me not be too damn normal. The wife told me tonight, when she heard the thumping, " go outside and shoot that hole deeper so I can plant a tree in the middle of your pretty front yard". Run Forest Run. I got the message. Guess it's time for me to get the AR50 and her a new fridge and hardwood floors. I WIN CASE CLOSED

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I have the bullet guide delimma fingered out.

I went searching through my metal stock, and found some 3/16 thick chrome moley tube. Cutted some pieces out, drilled the hole and counter sink, then just dremeled till the bolt cleared. The first one didn't make it, I grinded to far. :unsure: But the second one is the cat's ass. Took it for the test fire, and no hiccups. So now I just need to put a couple of channels in it, because it was denting some rounds, then loctite the screw.

I think I would have this done sooner, if Indy would have fowarded me the Kool-aid :haha: