Another Conversion Question

For the trigger group, do I want double or single hook?

I am thinking of going with the fiberforce thumbhole stock and handguards, its cheap. $52 Is it American?

akfiber1tc.jpg

Will the handguards fit my Saiga without alot of alterations? Or will I have to get a new gas piston or whatever?

The trigger group-------------3 parts

Buttstock and handguards---2 parts

Bullet Guide-------------------1 part

Is that good?

How hard is it to change the buttstock and grip whenever you want after the conversion?

"For the trigger group, do I want double or single hook?"

i would go with the single hook over the double hook. The use of the double hook FCG requires a little modding of the bottom of the reciever. I recomend the G2 FCG. i have used them in both my conversion. Go with the single and it'll drop right in. no worries

"I am thinking of going with the fiberforce thumbhole stock and handguards, its cheap. $52 Is it American?

Will the handguards fit my Saiga without alot of alterations? Or will I have to get a new gas piston or whatever"

The thumbhole stock should be a straight drop-in replacement, however, the front hand guard will not fit the saiga without modification/extra parts. Correct me if im wrong here guys! I have not tried to adapt AK handguards to a saiga, but i know they just dont bolt on.

Another note, ive read elsewhere on the forum that the drag style stock set made by CHOATE is much nicer and more durable than the fiberforce stock

the bottom line, using a US made FCG (3) and a US made stock set (2) will give you the correct number of domestic parts to be 922 compliant.

After conversion, changing the buttstock is as simple as removing a couple screws and smacking it with a rubber mallet

I would go with the Choate stock and not the fiber force. In my opinion the choate is a much better stock. It feels better and the front handguards are much better. Its roughly the same price maybe a little more but the quality in my opinion is way better. Here is mine with the choate:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=6177&hl=

The foregrips will take a little working to fit a stock saiga but its not hard I go over it in my post I listed there. Also you would be fine with the single hook trigger. The double requires cutting an extra slot which is really unessasary. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Look at the stock and PGs from K-Var; they are very nice. Since you can't use the front handguards with the Fiberforce or Choate without extensive modification, you're wasting your money buying a stock set that includes them.

I think you'll find that a U.S. AK stock and PG from K-Var are only $54. The stock screws can be reused with the conversion, but you'll also need to order a PG screw and nut as the do not come with furniture kits.

KVar US Stock Set

PG Srews and Nuts

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by RDSWriter
Look at the stock and PGs from K-Var; they are very nice. Since you can't use the front handguards with the Fiberforce or Choate without extensive modification, you're wasting your money buying a stock set that includes them.

I think you'll find that a U.S. AK stock and PG from K-Var are only $54. The stock screws can be reused with the conversion, but you'll also need to order a PG screw and nut as the do not come with furniture kits.

KVar US Stock Set

PG Srews and Nuts

Just my 2 cents...

Bullshit! I didnt need extensive modification to use the forgrips from the Choate Stock. Hell I'm using those same foregrips on both my x39 and my S12.

"For the trigger group, do I want double or single hook?"

i would go with the single hook over the double hook. The use of the double hook FCG requires a little modding of the bottom of the reciever. I recomend the G2 FCG. i have used them in both my conversion. Go with the single and it'll drop right in. no worries

"I am thinking of going with the fiberforce thumbhole stock and handguards, its cheap. $52 Is it American?

Will the handguards fit my Saiga without alot of alterations? Or will I have to get a new gas piston or whatever"

The thumbhole stock should be a straight drop-in replacement, however, the front hand guard will not fit the saiga without modification/extra parts. Correct me if im wrong here guys! I have not tried to adapt AK handguards to a saiga, but i know they just dont bolt on.

Another note, ive read elsewhere on the forum that the drag style stock set made by CHOATE is much nicer and more durable than the fiberforce stock

the bottom line, using a US made FCG (3) and a US made stock set (2) will give you the correct number of domestic parts to be 922 compliant.

After conversion, changing the buttstock is as simple as removing a couple screws and smacking it with a rubber mallet

FCG is the trigger group or what?

Diznag, when you do a conversion what type of mags will the gun use, and where to find them?

I am trying to make a list and get everything at once while I got the money to do it.

Yes, the FCG is the Fire Control Group. Trigger, Hammer & Disconnector

There's the pistol grip conversion, high capacity conversion and front handguard conversion.

First off you want to do the PG conversion.

For High Capacity conversion you will need a bullet guide and mags.

For a .223 (5.56x45) you want Plastic Bulgarian .223 mags from K-Var or Steel German Weiger .223 mags from Centerfire Systems. Those do not require modification of the follower, just the mag body.

If you want to use 5.45x39 mags you need to modify the follower in addition to the mag bodies. Those are cheaper and more plentiful, but more work.

...or...you modify the gun to accept the magazines as is.

Aren't the Choate HG's just like AK ones? :unsure: You need an upper AK gas tube and a lower HG retainer...

Same with the ATI Fiberforce...Camo Saiga 7.62x39 w/ ATI Fiberforce HG's

post-2093-1143748594_thumb.jpg

It isn't traditional AK handguards, but is made to go on an AK, not stock Saiga. Some mods are in order.

Not extensive, but not a cake walk either - IMO :smoke:

Edited by dinzag
Aren't the Choate HG's just like AK ones? :unsure: You need an upper AK gas tube and a lower HG retainer...

Same with the ATI Fiberforce...Camo Saiga 7.62x39 w/ ATI Fiberforce HG's

post-2093-1143748594_thumb.jpg

It isn't traditional AK handguards, but is made to go on an AK, not stock Saiga. Some mods are in order.

Not extensive, but not a cake walk either - IMO :smoke:

Putting a new gas tube in and cutting a retainer to go on the barrel that difficult? Mine sure seemed easy.

Edited by stokstad

Putting a new gas tube in and cutting a retainer to go on the barrel that difficult? Mine sure seemed easy.

Did you weld the retainer back together or JB weld it?

I bolted it back together with a machine screw but welding could be a good option.

That one in particular we pressed off the FSB & GB, then notched the barrel for the retainer flip release, then put on the lower retainer & tapped everything back on.

Yes there are easier ways and shortcuts, but 2 guys and a fifth of rum do wonders for conversion superpowers! :wacko::up:

For the trigger group, do I want double or single hook?

I am thinking of going with the fiberforce thumbhole stock and handguards, its cheap. $52 Is it American?

Yep, its made in Versailles KY, which is about 15 miles away from me. :super: