just bought a saiga .410 need help

Im not sure if my saiga .410 I bought today is semi-autoor not, i bought it at a gun show, and the guy that sold it to me said it was, but I dont know about him because he also told me it only took 2 1/2" shells, and I figure out that the 76mm on the mag means 3"!!, but yea is there any way to physically tell if mine is semi auto or hand operated just by looking?

If you take out the threaded plug at the end of the gas tube and look inside you will find a piston. Take that out and look for holes going down into the top of the barrel. If it has the holes and you can see thru the gas tube to the other end with the bolt back then you have a semi.

If you take out the threaded plug at the end of the gas tube and look inside you will find a piston. Take that out and look for holes going down into the top of the barrel. If it has the holes and you can see thru the gas tube to the other end with the bolt back then you have a semi.

Okay thank you, and does anyone happen to have a more detailed breakdown of the gun than the owners manual stated, because it wasn't very detailed to me, and Im the kinda person who needs descriptive pictures, instead of just naming the parts.....

Why not just load the mag with 4 rounds... go out to a shooting area... and pull the trigger... then pull it again... if it goes off twice... ( or again and again for all 4 times...) then it is a semi auto... and it doesnt matter what part is what... it works. :up: LOL

I would say that with 90% certainty it is a standard S-410 and is semi auto... and will work just fine... enjoy it!

:smoke:

Okay thank you, and does anyone happen to have a more detailed breakdown of the gun than the owners manual stated, because it wasn't very detailed to me, and Im the kinda person who needs descriptive pictures, instead of just naming the parts.....

This is a labeled pic of an S-12 but the parts are all the same in the .410. Hope it helps. :up:S_12_Exploded_View.jpg

Yeah, just shoot it! :killer::killer::killer:

Reason being, is I will not have the chance to shoot it for a week, I live in a residential area and cannot just shoot it in my back yard, and I wont have the chance to make it to the range for another week becuase my drivers license is suspended until next week. Reason I wanted to know asap was because like I said, the guy that I bought it from at the gun show said it is semi, but he also said that it doesn't shoot 3" so he is obviously not very credible, cause the magazine says 410x76 right on it..

Also does anyone know of any decent scopes for under $50, Im not lookin for anything spectacular, just a decent scope, range doesn't have to be too far either...tnaks for any input!

Yeah, just shoot it! :killer::killer::killer:

Reason being, is I will not have the chance to shoot it for a week, I live in a residential area and cannot just shoot it in my back yard, and I wont have the chance to make it to the range for another week becuase my drivers license is suspended until next week. Reason I wanted to know asap was because like I said, the guy that I bought it from at the gun show said it is semi, but he also said that it doesn't shoot 3" so he is obviously not very credible, cause the magazine says 410x76 right on it..

Also does anyone know of any decent scopes for under $50, Im not lookin for anything spectacular, just a decent scope, range doesn't have to be too far either...tnaks for any input!

Recently got a Burris, 3-9x, 42mm, about $45, very good, bright optics. Might be overkill for a shotgun. Lots folks use red dot scopes--usually cheap. You have lots of choices. :smoke:

any specific places to get them online? all the ones I have seen say they are only for Saiga rifles not shotguns......and also does CDNN still carry saiga guns?? I looked through their 148 page catalog and didnt see any, maybe I missed them?? sorry for all the diff questions, just didnt want to fill the forum up with different posts!

any specific places to get them online? all the ones I have seen say they are only for Saiga rifles not shotguns......and also does CDNN still carry saiga guns?? I looked through their 148 page catalog and didnt see any, maybe I missed them?? sorry for all the diff questions, just didnt want to fill the forum up with different posts!

List of Saiga distributors is at: http://www.raacfirearms.com/distributors.htm

About the scopes, for shottys you really don't need a hi-power scope and lots of folks get a red dot which has no magnification. They come in 20/30/50mm lenses that I've seen. Often between $20-40. Lots of sites have 'em, like Sportrsmens Guide, CheaperThanDirt etc. Just buy an appropriate scope mount that is AK/Saiga compatible. They are the same mount on the gun. Many recommend the ones from EastWave, either low rise or high rise (use the high if you want to continue to use the iron sights at times with the scope mounted) and they run $35+shipping/insurance. They hold their zero well if removed and remounted. Or post a WTB on the forum a used mount that might be a little cheaper. :smoke:

Edited by tritium
Im not sure if my saiga .410 I bought today is semi-autoor not, i bought it at a gun show, and the guy that sold it to me said it was, but I dont know about him because he also told me it only took 2 1/2" shells, and I figure out that the 76mm on the mag means 3"!!, but yea is there any way to physically tell if mine is semi auto or hand operated just by looking?

I've not heard of a Saiga that was anything other than a semi-auto, that's the way their designed. Take off the top cover and remove the bolt carrier. Is there a piston attached to it? If so then you're on your way.