New member/owner intro

I recently picked up an unconverted Saiga-12 from my LGS and found my way here by way of the AK Files, the consensus there was this was THE place to learn about all things Saiga-12.  It was a consignment sale and came complete with a Wraithmaker 20-round drum, two 5-round Izzy mags and one 10-round AGP Arms magazine.  I was quite surprised when I initially handled it as I thought it was new, it barely had the typically safety lever scratch which normally happens after wiping the safety up and down a few times on any AK.

The salesman at the LGS said if I was at all unsatisfied with it that I could return it for a full refund, which was kind of unusual as I've bought quite a few guns there and have never been told that.  After doing my research on the AK Files and lurking here, I'm guessing the original owner went in whole hog (hence the Wraithmaker drum!) ran garbage ammo through it and encountered all sorts of malfunctions and was done with it.

I took it to the range yesterday for a brief test fire using 2 boxes (50-rounds) of 2 3/4-inch 00 buck Remington reduced recoil (8-pellet, 3 dram equivalent, FPS unknown, not shown on the box) using all 4 of the magazines/drum.  While I won't say that's at all a comprehensive evaluation of the its reliability, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised as it was malfunction free.  I didn't futz with the gas regulator and just wanted to run it out of the box.  I'm extremely anxious to convert it but wanted to make sure it was going to work out for me and since this is my go-to ammo I figure I'm going to move forward with that as soon as I can figure out which CSS kit I wanna go with.

As a side note the drum weighed just over 5-pounds loaded and while it's a fun range toy I suppose, I'm likely going to sell it as I'm more than happy to run 8 or 10 round mags.  I was impressed by the quality and machined billet aluminum construction and it admittedly looks cool as hell, even on an unconverted gun, just not my style.

Lots of great how-to instructions, before and after pictures, etc. here and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can and applying it, I prefer to "buy once, cry once" whenever I can.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! I had joined a couple of years after having gotten a S-12. I had been looking for a box fed shotgun when I read an article about the Saiga in one of the gun magazines. Some time after having gotten one, I heard about this forum and found a lot of information that is very useful.

That being said, you will want to check out the section of the forum regarding 922r. It covers the import laws. It has a parts count that means no more than ten imported parts in the shotgun so you can use magazines that hold more than five rounds. It could be a federal beef, but I haven't heard of this happening. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be one to test it. Besides, the conversion makes for better ergonomics.

1 hour ago, patriot said:

1st tip:

Good idea on the WraithMaker drum (Widowmaker drum). Sell the drum and get an MD Arms drum if you want a good drum.

My understanding is MD Arms is no longer making their drum so the only way to buy one would be used/secondary market.  Like I said not a huge fan of a drum that...huge...! (sorry)

1 hour ago, ewoketeer said:

Welcome to the forum! I had joined a couple of years after having gotten a S-12. I had been looking for a box fed shotgun when I read an article about the Saiga in one of the gun magazines. Some time after having gotten one, I heard about this forum and found a lot of information that is very useful.

That being said, you will want to check out the section of the forum regarding 922r. It covers the import laws. It has a parts count that means no more than ten imported parts in the shotgun so you can use magazines that hold more than five rounds. It could be a federal beef, but I haven't heard of this happening. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be one to test it. Besides, the conversion makes for better ergonomics.

Thanks!  I'm fairly certain from my research that I'm not going to have an issue with 922r, which only applies to importers/manufacturers anyway, which is probably the main reason why you've never heard of anyone getting jammed up for it.  There was a recent conversation about just that on the AK Files and with what I'm planning on it's a non-issue anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, PeterGriffin said:

My understanding is MD Arms is no longer making their drum so the only way to buy one would be used/secondary market.  Like I said not a huge fan of a drum that...huge...! (sorry)

Thanks!  I'm fairly certain from my research that I'm not going to have an issue with 922r, which only applies to importers/manufacturers anyway, which is probably the main reason why you've never heard of anyone getting jammed up for it.  There was a recent conversation about just that on the AK Files and with what I'm planning on it's a non-issue anyway...

Having a few more Russian parts on a gun is not worth a federal sentence. Do as you will. When they decide they are interested in an individual they will be charging that person with everything they think will stick and then some. That individual will then cop a plea to have all of the lesser charges dropped and still serve 10 years. Not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

(#2) in the handful of posts at the AK Files 37 in 7 years (with a literal 2-year break until recently) in addition to your posts here (6.6K) you come across as preoccupied, obsessed even, with bashing other vendors which is (#3) a not so thinly veiled attempt to drive business towards yourself which is (#4) laughable, considering #1.  I get it, you win the Big Fish, small pond award.  The work I have seen you do is top notch, which is what I'd expect from the exorbitant prices you charge (compared to some of the other vendors you're trying to malign), but with that being said I personally wouldn't  ask you what time it was in a clock factory and give you a thin dime of my hard earned money because of #1-4...

It's not bashing if it's true and high quality work is expensive, so

• Like 1
On 6/10/2020 at 12:55 PM, PeterGriffin said:

Thanks for the tip 🙄. I checked Westlaw and Lexis/Nexus for standalone 922R cases for individuals and couldn't find a one.  That's not to say they don't exist, but I didn't want to waste any more of time to validate what I already knew from extensive reading about it and previous research.

What I did find, however, is (#1) the link to your own website in your signature doesn't work and appears to be for sale:

http://www.http.com//evlutionz.com

(#2) in the handful of posts at the AK Files 37 in 7 years (with a literal 2-year break until recently) in addition to your posts here (6.6K) you come across as preoccupied, obsessed even, with bashing other vendors which is (#3) a not so thinly veiled attempt to drive business towards yourself which is (#4) laughable, considering #1.  I get it, you win the Big Fish, small pond award.  The work I have seen you do is top notch, which is what I'd expect from the exorbitant prices you charge (compared to some of the other vendors you're trying to malign), but with that being said I personally wouldn't  ask you what time it was in a clock factory and give you a thin dime of my hard earned money because of #1-4...

Pauly, is that you? If so, I hope things are going great for you.

I don't agree with your opinions, but you are entitled to them.  Understand me, you will not damage my business no matter what you say or do. You didn't make me and you definitely will not break me. My Father gave me this business. My customers pay what I  charge for what I do because the difference has no equal and is absolutely measurable. I pour out my heart in these builds and the customer can see and feel the love in it. I do have more basic service offerings, but few want that. You are free to have whoever you want to do your work, brother, I hope your build goes great and exceeds your expectations. You just aren't my customer and I'm fine with that. I'm not your shop, but you are angry and I can't understand it. Vote with your wallet, my friend. We all have our tastes and desires and some people want something really nice, well built, something that looks like the craftsman cared about it, and something that they know for sure runs great before they get it. I have raised prices many times to try and slow the flow of work, but it never works and I have given up. God bless you. I hope you can decide to be happy and have an outstanding day. Smile, brother, it's ok.

My website? I think it is obvious that I am not concerned with it, lol. It has been down for weeks and I'm over it. I own the domain and many many others. When things settle down a bit, I will have it rebuilt and hosted elsewhere. I have no time to deal with it and it hasn't effected the flow of new inquiries. That crappy website didn't make me either ;)

In the spirit of outrageous pricing...

• Like 1
On 6/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, patriot said:

🍿

2 minutes with a search engine: https://www.facebook.com/evlutionz/

Sounds like his gun already runs phenomenally. I'm not sure what the problem is.

17 hours ago, patriot said:

Nice mag dumps! Great little gun evlblkwpnz!

That was actually the first customer who let me do Evl Grade as it is supposed to be. It turned out so nice I made a banner of it and it is the center piece in my showroom.