Saiga 12 Conversion: Magwells?

Hi folks, I just picked up a Saiga 12 and am planning a full conversion. I've converted a Saiga 7.62x39 into an AK104ish SBR with an AK100 series side folding stock, so I know what I'm getting into (still need to pull the barrel to get it chopped).

I'd like to install a magazine well. I'm primarily going to use this shotgun in 3-gun matches. I'm not very competitive at these, but have been running open class with a pump gun, and I've always lusted after a Saiga 12, so that's what I'm going with.

First, what magwells are recommended? I see the SGM tactical magwell is available, and was thinking of that. But I know fairly little about these. Will installation of a magwell like this interfere with folding an AK100 style folding stock? I've found the special Saiga 12 latch in stock at AKbuilder and have a spare rear trunnion, so I'm probably going to go this route.

Second, I know magazines must be modified to remove the front latch for use with the magwell. Does this result in a magazine of the same dimensions as a VEPR12? Can VEPR12 magazines be used instead? Will these mags "drop free" like an AR15 magazine?

Third, I see SGM sells a drum, both for the Saiga 12 and the VEPR12. Will this mag, when properly modified, fit a Saiga12 with the SGM magwell?

Are there other, currently available magwells I should consider instead?

Thanks!

Edited by Couch-commando

I don't think the magwell will interfere with a folding stock.  The SGM magwell will work better with some mags over others, you would have to search on here for what others have tried that worked.  Most mags can be modified to work in the magwell.  Also, the magwell mags like the VEPR12 will work, although anything you do will require some fitting

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've attempted the installation. At the moment, magazines are difficult to insert. Occasionally, it will hang up on the front against the receiver, and occasionally on the sides against the receiver. When the mag does go in correctly, it won't lock without applying pressure to the rear. They do drop free.

I've attached a photo of my progress so far. My question is, if I hog out the front all the way to the edge of the plastic magwell, and the sides all the way out, will I run the risk of the magazine fitting "loosely"?

20210116_162200.jpg

Edited by Couch-commando
forgot the pic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm finally at a point I can test this gun. I've had issues with magazines falling out of the gun upon firing. I believe I have found the issue; the magazine catch was binding on the receiver component it pins into, not allowing it to pivot far enough forward to fully engage the ledge on the magazine. I need to test since I made this modification, but using a sliver sharpy on the mag catch, I now have full engagement, when I previously had only partial engagement.

Note, when I filed out the SGM magazine well to fit VEPR magazines, I filed off the front and the back until the magazine fit in the well. Given my mag catch issue, I strongly recommend ONLY filing off the back of the magwell. I suspect the magazine sits too far forward in relation to the feed ramp, due to the mag catch issue I described. However, it still fully cycles dummy rounds, so I'm hopeful this won't cause long term issues. If it does, I guess I'll have to buy another magwell.