I was walking through the gun store, and i came upon about 6 m/ns racked up. Noticed that they fired the 7.62 X 54 and thought "hey, that would be a good hunting cartridge" So my question is:

1) what kind of accuracy do y'all get with the m/n

2)Is there any specific type of m/n to look for

3) can I mount a scope (i noticed that the bolt is straight), and would I even want to?

3) How powerful is it compared to 30-06.

THis would be primarily a hunting rifle. Thanks.

I can respond to the 3rd question....

My friend got one and we wanted to put on a scope mount...he bought the kit at Centerfire which didn't cost much...however, it isn't easy to install. You must drill and tap two holes on the top of the gun (tough steel!!) for the mount and cut off the bolt handle, than drill and tap a hole in the bolt to accomodate (?) the new curved bolt handle. We really messed the gun up by breaking a threader in it. Just recently got the gun fixed and can't find the screws to reassemble :angry: That mount was a flop, but, we acquired at Knob Creek another mount that simply replaces the rear sight! Should be much better. If you are good at metal working, go for it, but if you are novice (like me) don't try it.

If anyone has an idea on how to get new screws, let me know :unsure:

to add to what KySoldier was saying, I have seen a few differnet slug barrel shotguns with what are called "cantilevel mount"s ....I dont recall rear rifle sights still being on the barrels. You can swap barrels fast with a lot of shotguns, and this mount is only mounted to the barrel, so you retain zero when you change up.

In the 150 gr. bullet range they are = to the 3006. The 06 has an advantage on the heavier bullets. If you want the best MN made, check here.Wholesale Gun

You want to look for a M39. These are a Finish rebuild. When they rebuilt them they put a new and heavier barrel on them and change the stock. They also modify the trigger to lighten it up . If you want a carbine, Look for a M38 or a M44. Just buy the most expensive one that you can afford and you can't go wrong.

Hi all

Just checked out tomme boys web link on the moisin nagants............................Damn!!!!!

In England the cheapest i have seen a moisin nagant sell for is £75.00 and thats about $132.58

$58.99 is £33.38.................... we could never buy them that cheap over here.

:cryss::cryss::cryss::cryss:

KySoldier, on the mounts that are used on the rear sight, you have to use a pistol or scout type scope. Of this type of mount, BSquare is junk. The best one made right now of this type of mount is one from Darrels Mounts. His web page is not working right now but you can look at it here.MN scope mount

Just a thought, how about an AK rail mounted on the side of the reciever. These rail kits are available. Might set the scope too high though. As to power, more than my 308 win. Accuracy, open sights at 100m from kneeling position I got about a 5 cm group which penetrated both sides of a steel pipe (about 1 cm wall thickness). Pretty impressive for of hand. Also my moisin has had the stock shortened in the front which lightens it somewhat and I love it for hunting, great deer rifle for brush and with a scope it wouldn't be bad for fields either.

I tell ya, I need to put a duck rail on my saiga 12....im thinking of a permanent weld about where the rear sight is, where the front site is, and to the barrel and muzzle...Im wondering if you guys with the rifles can do a cantilever mount on them...old cowboy lever actions had long eye-relief scopes and mounts, btw

Edited by Bvamp

7.62x54 is ok, compare it to .308 more than to 30-06 , well on ammo , you can reload

if not get wolf, cabelas ask 4.99 for 20 rounds of soft point all bi-metal,

wolf makes some match ammo , I havent found any were . you can get nagants in here http://gunsnammo.com/ they have russian and finnish nagants, the finnish are more expensive but are wort it , and for more info on surplus rifles to in here http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp they have a lot of info and how to do, on surplus rifles.

I got my Mosin Nagants from Cole's Distributing.A 1940 M91/30 for $59 and a 1945 M44 for $69.Both rifles are in like new condition with all matching numbers.Hell, the 91/30 was even pre-cleaned and cosmoline free!!The 91/30 is the most accurate rifle I have.