What firearm related product/topic excites you these days?

I get the same emails daily that most of you get. In this age of overpriced ammunition and recycled flyers, is there anything that you guys and gals are excited about? Quite admittedly I am currently bored.

I'm waiting on a barrel and dies to get made for a new wildcat. (Should be any day now!) Basically it's a 300 Norma Mag necked down to .270. If it makes the projected velocity numbers it should stay supersonic past 1,700 yards using the Nosler Accubond LR. That should be a fun one to shoot.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, mixednuttz said:

I'm waiting on a barrel and dies to get made for a new wildcat. (Should be any day now!) Basically it's a 300 Norma Mag necked down to .270. If it makes the projected velocity numbers it should stay supersonic past 1,700 yards using the Nosler Accubond LR. That should be a fun one to shoot.

Yes that qualifies as exciting! Look forward to hearing more about it once completed.

Should be a fun one to shoot. Brass price will make you cringe though. Good thing it's for a bolt gun!

I've already got the scope, base and rings ready for it. I just haven't settled on which chassis system I'm going to use yet. I'll just use the factory stock for now.

It got delayed because the barrel blank I had sitting around wasn't a fast enough twist for the bullet I want to shoot so a different blank had to be ordered. Shame, it's a real nice Black Hole Weaponry polygonal rifled blank, too. I bought that blank when I was thinking of using it to make an M16A2 clone chambered in 277 Wolverine (a great round for deer and similar game, BTW)  but I already have several in that caliber. 

img(4).jpeg

Edited by mixednuttz

I got into launching big chunks of soft lead out of a .450 Bushmaster. 300 grain, powder coated ran through the suppressor knocked a whitetail down with almost no report using Unique powder.  I'd like to experiment with using Trail Boss instead because I think I can get a more consistent load. 

The .40 cal casings make great 275 grain hollow points. 10mm are bigger 350-375 grain hollow points, but swaging them down we broke a RCBS Rockchucker. So we probably won't be going that heavy again. The 275s won't drop as fast as the 350s but I'm a sucker for throwing bigger boulders when possible. 

I'm chasing " Hollywood" quiet, with enough power to knock down a whitetail out to 75 yards.  Biggest obstacle for me is the drop. 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, scoutjoe said:

I got into launching big chunks of soft lead....

I'm chasing " Hollywood" quiet, with enough power to knock down a whitetail out to 75 yards.  Biggest obstacle for me is the drop. 

Heavy, slow bullets hit hard. 250 grain .45 colt is one of my favorite bullets to shoot. The 26" barrel is 3MOA accurate at 100 yards and hits about 3.5" high at 50 yards. This is a really fun gun to shoot but a PITA to clean. 

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.626c158c784f32611743206c3a7b6ebc.JPG

• Like 1

36" barrel extension on a 12 ga. will do that for you. Big lead slug, accurate enough at 75 yd. and pretty quiet. The 36" extension makes the barrel a one chamber suppressor, lets the gasses expand and cool to subsonic velocities.

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 7:20 AM, YOT said:

Heavy, slow bullets hit hard. 250 grain .45 colt is one of my favorite bullets to shoot. The 26" barrel is 3MOA accurate at 100 yards and hits about 3.5" high at 50 yards. This is a really fun gun to shoot but a PITA to clean. 

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.626c158c784f32611743206c3a7b6ebc.JPG

I had just started to get into 45 colt when the pandemic hit. Bought a Taurus raging judge for steal, and loved it! The hornady 240 grain 454 casull at 1900 ft/sec... not so much (at least not more than 5-6 rounds at a time without a shooting glove.) I will pick up a Henry Silver Big Boy in 45 Colt if they ever get back in stock. I have everything to reload except a powder that is optimized. Unique and Titegroup are currently all I have left in pistol powder.

On 5/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, G O B said:

36" barrel extension on a 12 ga. will do that for you. Big lead slug, accurate enough at 75 yd. and pretty quiet. The 36" extension makes the barrel a one chamber suppressor, lets the gasses expand and cool to subsonic velocities.

I've forgotten about those "Metro" barrel extensions.  Well that will be another rabbit hole of "strange shotgun stuff", hopefully another 12 gauge doesn't follow me home just to get an extension for.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Spacehog said:

I had just started to get into 45 colt when the pandemic hit. Bought a Taurus raging judge for steal, and loved it! The hornady 240 grain 454 casull at 1900 ft/sec... not so much (at least not more than 5-6 rounds at a time without a shooting glove.) I will pick up a Henry Silver Big Boy in 45 Colt if they ever get back in stock. I have everything to reload except a powder that is optimized. Unique and Titegroup are currently all I have left in pistol powder.

H110 makes a dandy buckshot load for 410, but you might want that shooting glove. Some of the heavier loads are bruising out of a Judge. I had a bruised palm for a few days after 10 shots. It's hell on poly ground targets..... You'll be chasing them.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm finally got the barrel and dies for the 270 Jurasic.  Rifle is a Savage 110  (long action) in an MDT ESS chassis with a 26" barrel. Not using a barrel nut on this one so the chamber part of the barrel can be thicker for additional strength.  (Built like a Remington.) Chamber is designed for the Nosler 165 grain Accubond LR. Scope is a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25x50 in Vortex rings.  I'm pretty excited to get some brass fire formed so I can see what it can really do. (I haven't been this excited for a new cartridge since we launched the 277 Wolverine.)

1638590055002-1769076229.jpg

Edited by mixednuttz
Spelling