Federal .308 GMM with 155 gr. SMK bullets?

Hi Guys:

My local Academy store has fortunately been getting Federal .308 GMM ammo with 168 gr. SMK bullets back in stock. 

However, I noticed another stack of boxes of Federal .308 GMM ammo loaded with 155 gr. SMK bullets. That seemed odd to me. I'm used to seeing 168 & 175 gr. SMKs being the standard two choices for Federal GMM ammo. 

Why would Federal offer their GMM .308 ammo with 155 gr. SMKs too? Is there a ballistic reason for this I've never known, or is Federal trying to save materials? 

Just wondering guys. I've never heard of 155 gr. SMKs nor have I heard of using 155 gr. bullets for match ammo in a .308 rifle. 

Thanks. 

• 3 months later...

308 bullets com come in flavors from 100 grains up to 220. 155 grain bullets are nothing new nor unusual. In fact...i was shooting this morning with 155 grain Nosler custom competition hollow points out of a stainless savage axis 2. This is a TYPICAL 3 shot group with that rifle with these rounds at 200 yards. ( yes. TWO hundred) 

0821211236.jpg

• Like 1

And you can see from the load data card... The rounds are 10 years old. They still shoot amazingly well. ☺

Edited to add... This is out if a 30-06. Not a .308.  But I have two savage's in 308 that shoot them ALMOST as good!😉

5 hours ago, IndyArms said:

308 bullets com come in flavors from 100 grains up to 220. 155 grain bullets are nothing new nor unusual. In fact...i was shooting this morning with 155 grain Nosler custom competition hollow points out of a stainless savage axis 2. This is a TYPICAL 3 shot group with that rifle with these rounds at 200 yards. ( yes. TWO hundred) 

0821211236.jpg

Savage makes a fine rifle. I have several. ALL shoot extremely well.