Komrad 12: Converting To VEPR Mags?

Hi all,

First post!

Tried searching and read the pinned posts and perhaps someone can help me with better search terms b/c I couldn't find anything that really explained what I'm asking.

I have a VEPR 12 which I really like but have always wanted an SBS but didn't want more tax stamps.  When the Kalashnikov USA Komrad came out, I thought...perfect!  My Komrad happens to run Federal bulk pack 8 shot with no issues (using CSSpec 8 round mags and the factory K-USA 5 rounders).

However, loading a full mag on a closed bolt into the Komrad flat out sucks.  I tried changing the way I grip the mags to load it and that works....but it's still FAR slower than a VEPR 12.

I see Dissident Arms and Legion (at one point anyway) did conversions to adapt a VEPR magwell to SAIGAs to run VEPR mags. 

I contacted Dissident months back and again recently to find out about having the conversion done.  They haven't gotten back to me in either case. 

I'm reasonably handy, have a good sized shop and have done a pretty heavy amount of gun-smithing.....so I'm comfortable tackling this myself with a little guidance.

From what I can tell I need the magwell with the catch, a spring and pin as seen here: http://dissidentarms.com/index.php/product/russian-flared-polymer-magwell-saiga-vepr-12-ipsc-lab/

JTE has a conversion too....seen here: https://4shooters.com/product/jte-competition-magwell-for-the-saiga-12.html  (though I assume I'd  need to source a new catch, spring and pin)

SGM Tactical's magwell for Siagas: https://www.sgmtactical.com/sgm-products/magazines/saiga-shotgun/saiga-competition-magazine-well/

Not sure if one is better than the others or if any of them will allow plug and play of SGM VEPR Mags (I have 5 or so of the 8-10 round SGM VEPRs).

It does suck that I spent so much on CSSpecs 8 round mags for the Komrad and won't be able to use them....but I really want to speed up the reloads, so I guess I'll just eat the loss.

Can anyone point me to a thread or video as to how to do this conversion (or tell me I'm completely off base for wanting to do so.....I should say that I actually prefer rock and lock mags over STANAG style in many cases...just not this one b/c I haven't found a way to become proficient with the reloads).

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Sean

PS. Added a pic of my VEPR when it was under construction....dont' have one of my Komrad handy, but it's basically stock....changed the foregrip to a BCM KAG, added a Streamlight ProTac rail mount light and the 8 round CSSpecs mags and ALG modified trigger (though I just found out ALG does not recommend their triggers in shotguns for whatever reason...oh well.  Love mine, won't be switching back).

Vepr12 18in Perm'd Brake.jpg

Edited by SeanK762

So I found instructions for installing the JTE Comp Magwell for Saiga 12s....but it says to modify Saiga 12 mags. 

Would VEPR mags work with this magwell? 

Can't seem to find any contact information or a website for JT Engineering to ask directly.

I've tried putting my VEPR mags in the Komrad and they seem like they would work if they could lock into whatever magwell I install.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by SeanK762

Factory V12 probably wouldn't work with the JTE unit, but SGM mags will if you remove the front lug and do whatever he (Travers RIP) suggested as mod for regular S12 mags in use with that magwell. Expect to do a lot of filing/sanding and fitting on all mags to make them drop free easily if you desire that. I'd hack it up and run a V12 magwell on it if it were me. It is an invasive process though.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, evlblkwpnz said:

Factory V12 probably wouldn't work with the JTE unit, but SGM mags will if you remove the front lug and do whatever he (Travers RIP) suggested as mod for regular S12 mags in use with that magwell. Expect to do a lot of filing/sanding and fitting on all mags to make them drop free easily if you desire that. I'd hack it up and run a V12 magwell on it if it were me. It is an invasive process though.

Thanks man.  Highly respect your work.  For now, got the rock and lock guide from JTE. I'll install it and see if it will help.  If it doesn't, can I use the V12/S12 magwell (like this one:  https://4shooters.com/product/original-russian-molot-magwell-saigavepr-12.html ) and use modified SGM S12 mags (removing the front lug, etc.)?  Or am I better off with the SGM magwell and modding their S12 mags?

Edited by SeanK762

Update...I see very little improvement (if any at all) with the JTE Magazine Guide (Rock & Lock):

https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/Saiga-12-Magazine-Mag-guide-well-JTEngineering-p/jte-rock-n-lock.htm

Feel like it almost obstructs my view more than helps. 

Need to work with it more and practice my technique.  Will update.

Edited by SeanK762

Got my SGM S12 10 round mags today (will cut them down to 8 due to the size).  Tried it with the JTE rock and lock....seems to work pretty well.  I think with a little practice, it can improve loading time...though the CSSpec mags seem to be a little more difficult to seat quickly.   Think I will leave it as is for now....

Finding that reversing my grip on my support hand to feed into the magwell with my pinky closest to the top of the mag (rather than the tradition grip where the forefinger and thumb are closer to the top of the mag), really helps lever the mag into position.

Edited by SeanK762
  • 2 weeks later...