Cleaned Saiga 12 and Can't Put Bolt In

I'll presume you can get the bolt back in the carrier. Insert the bolt tail into the carrier and index the cam on the bolt into the recess in the carrier.

Once you've done the above, while you hold the shotgun with the muzzle pointing nearly straight down, attempt to insert the BCG. You'll notice that the bolt drop down and rotates into the proper orientation to allow you to insert the BCG into the receiver. That should be it.

5 hours ago, JohnnyE said:

I'll presume you can get the bolt back in the carrier. Insert the bolt tail into the carrier and index the cam on the bolt into the recess in the carrier.

Once you've done the above, while you hold the shotgun with the muzzle pointing nearly straight down, attempt to insert the BCG. You'll notice that the bolt drop down and rotates into the proper orientation to allow you to insert the BCG into the receiver. That should be it.

Thanks for the attempted description. I appreciate your attempt to help.  I can insert the bolt into the receiver & slide it forward until it binds up.  That is it.  How do you index the cam on the bolt?  What is a BCG?

It makes no sense to me what you have written.  Is there a video out there showing what you have tried to verbally describe?

I guess I'll have to take it to a gunsmith.

7 hours ago, gbono2 said:

Thanks for the attempted description. I appreciate your attempt to help.  I can insert the bolt into the receiver & slide it forward until it binds up.  That is it.  How do you index the cam on the bolt?  What is a BCG?

It makes no sense to me what you have written.  Is there a video out there showing what you have tried to verbally describe?

I guess I'll have to take it to a gunsmith.

First some definitions. BCG = bolt/carrier group.

You do not insert the bolt into the receiver. First you insert the bolt into the carrier, spin the bolt around until the cam on the bolt nests in the slot on the carrier. When you then point the BCG downward, the bolt should rotate slightly but not fall out of the carrier. It is the cam on the bolt that keeps it from falling out of the carrier. If the bolt does fall out, it isn't properly oriented within the carrier. Play with is a bit and you'll see how the two interact together.

With the barrel pointed down, you install the assembled BCG into the receiver.

If you still need help I'll try to find some pics.

Johnny E -- Thank you for trying to describe how to put it back together.

I found a video online.  Even with the video, I was totally unable to reload the BCG back into the carrier.  I gave up after 2 hrs. of trying unsuccessfully.  I'm taking it into a gun shop tomorrow w/a red face to get them to put it back together. 
I probably will never take the BCG out again.  I plan on cleaning around it.

There is no need for any additional posts trying to help me out because it appears I am a lost cause where these Saiga's are concerned.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, gbono2 said:

Johnny E -- Thank you for trying to describe how to put it back together.

I found a video online.  Even with the video, I was totally unable to reload the BCG back into the carrier.  I gave up after 2 hrs. of trying unsuccessfully.  I'm taking it into a gun shop tomorrow w/a red face to get them to put it back together. 
I probably will never take the BCG out again.  I plan on cleaning around it.

There is no need for any additional posts trying to help me out because it appears I am a lost cause where these Saiga's are concerned.

Don't be so fatalistic. None of us were born knowing these things. Be sure to watch the gunsmith reassemble it. That way you'll learn how to fish, rather than just pay for a fish.

• 1 month later...

ON the S-12, you have to push down on the bolt group fairly strong, the hammer is a bit higher and needs to be compressed. When you get it all aligned right, pressure downward will cause it to click down in the rails and slide forward.

• 3 months later...