Demonstration: Man is shot with .308 while wearing body armor

So throwing a bowling ball/40 lb sack/pushing someone with 40 lbs of force is able to knock them over but not me, yet a bullet hypothetically capable of knocking the target would knock over the shooter?

I couldn't throw a 40 lb watermelon at someone ( my same weight ) hard enough to knock them down, without shifting my body weight enough to have to counter me falling over.

Try throwing any weight object hard enough to knock someone your own weight size over.

Im sure you cant do it while keeping your body perfectly vertical without lateral movement.

I sure can throw a 40 lb watermelon and knock someone my same weight over,but I will make my upper body shift because of the force.

The fact you feel recoil in a gun proves this theory.

Heres something to think about too. The force of a bullet that can lift a 2 lb prairie dog off the ground ( .223 )

will cause enough backward force that can also knock a 2 lb gun back about the same distance provided no one is holding it.

Watch the first video http://www.dogbegone.com/video.htm and consider how much recoil the gun would seem to have if it weighed 2 lbs. Then figure an 8 lb gun absorbs alot more backward energy.

To do the same to a human target as is done to the prairie dog you would need at least the same amount of proportionate enegy. 2lb Prairie dog needed 1200 lbs kinetic energy

200 lb Human target needs 100 times that = 120,000 lbs of kinetic energy to

equal the same effect (vaporization)

With a 9mm 124 grain (350 lb energy ) managed to tip over a bowling pinunder 4 lbs

at the same rate you would need 17,500 lbs of energy to tip a 200 lb human over

a .308 winchester is not going to make them fall over

A 8 gauge shotgun might be about that level to cause a fall

but the 8 gauge may knock you backward enough to fall if

you dont brace your self

Edited by expeditionx

In other words, every action has an equal and opposite reaction, when under equal conditions, or maybe an equal and opposite reaction but not necessarily an equal end result. If my string of rants had anything close to a point, that was it. Your fancy book learnin ain't no match for my massive amounts of bullshit.

My .308 has never knocked me over, and I am 5'9" 195#. Ask Issac Newton. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. A bullet cannot hit downrange with more energy than it imparts to your shoulder. That is why no bullets will physically knock you down, and we don't have 40mm howitzers that are shoulder-fired. I have shot a few ballistic vests and seen a few demos live. I believe the video is real, with full power ammo. Its just a matter of dispersing the force over a given area in a given time. No magic, just physics. The dudes in the video sure seem like spuds to me, though.

I guess...

But that's also in a hypothetical newtonian universe which we don't live in. I would think A LOT of energy will be dissipated in the form of heat and sound instead of strictly a reactionary kinetic energy. Also, some of the reactionary kinetic energy will be absorbed within the gun itself as some will be spent moving the carrier back and other will be absorbed by the material itself, thus (I could be wrong) I doubt a shoulder absorbs anywhere near the energy that the bullet has.

Shooting a slab of meat is different than body armor. One would have to look toward the physical property of "impulse" to make the comparison, and the impulse of absorbing a bullet in a slab of meat is much less than absorbing it in a piece of steel.

The video may very well be accurate, which I'm mighty impressed with, however I will not be volunteering to test their product any time soon.

I was wrong...y'all were right.

Talked to some more physics gurus and I'm over-thinking it. Newton made it easy and I f-ed it up. While energy is lost in the form of sound and heat, there still needs to be an equal and opposite force like everyone said. At that point it's just about redistributing the force and finding ways to minimize it.

Thanks for re-learning me right!

As long as we're marvelling at the universe; something that has always amazed me: If you shoot any bullet exactly horizontal with the surface of the earth and at the same time drop one from the same height as the muzzle, they will hit the ground at the same instant. The accelleration from gravity is the same whether an object is moving or not. Hmmm...

As long as we're marvelling at the universe; something that has always amazed me: If you shoot any bullet exactly horizontal with the surface of the earth and at the same time drop one from the same height as the muzzle, they will hit the ground at the same instant. The accelleration from gravity is the same whether an object is moving or not. Hmmm...

Yup, force vectors (learning them in Trig right now and will be doing more this summer in physics class). There are multiple forces at work on a flying bullet.

1. The force of it being shot, it's forward velocity

2. Gravity, which is always constant (it's been 6+ years since high school physics but isn't it like 3.4 m/s^2?)

3 Air resistance, what slows the bullet down as it travels down range

There are more, but they are not as major as these 3.

Since 2 of the 3 forces are horizontal to the ground (initial velocity and the air resistance), that leaves gravity as the only vertical force so it remains constant.

A couple things to consider:

1. I've seen guys who got hit with a chicken plate on, they're bruised to shit. One guy got hit at an upward angle by a 7.62 and got a cracked sternum and rib. I don't know anyone who has been standing up at the time, and got hit square in the chest. All these were seated, hit at an upward angle 10-30 degrees.

2. Felt recoil is not equal to force of the bullet. That force you feel is softened by:

a. Your shoulder moving (rotating your arm around your center of gravity. Basically, if I push you on your shoulder, your shoulder rocks back and your upper body rotates backwards. If I push you with the same force on the sternum, you're taking a step back)

b. Gas tube/buffer spring (If auto) A M91/30 kicks significantly harder than a PSL/SVD.

c. Weight of the gun

d. You anticipating and being postured for recoil

e. Gas escaping out the front of the barrel after the bullet has departed

3. Chicken plates are not form-fitting (unless you have one large a-cup breast in the middle of your chest). There are 3 points of contact on your body, the top edge, and the two bottom corners. It's not an equal transfer of energy. The soft body armor helps with this, but if you've got a plate mounted to bare skin, I'd say it's about a square inch of contact, depending on your body type.

4. A chicken plate is taking ALL OF THE FORCE AT ONCE. When a gopher gets hit by a 223, the bullet barely even slows down. This bullet is stopping, and somewhere between the bullet and that guys cg, it's all getting soaked up.

5. You can't compare shooting a bullet to throwing a watermelon. Throwing a watermelon is a mechanical lever, (your arms) seated by a 200 lb man, lobbing a 20 lb object (10% of the body weight).

Shooting a bullet is an expansion of gasses propelling a 160 grain aerodynamic object, seated against an 8 lb gun and a 200 lb guy. (20lb vs 200 is not equal to 200lb vs 160gr. And the speed difference doesn't compensate, don't even try that shit)

I really don't know for sure, but would imagine that if you weren't anticipating it, and got hit with a 160gr .308 at what? 2500fps? square in the chicken plate, you'd be on your ass.

my .02

BTW, I'll find an extra plate if anyone here wants to give it the ol college try! LOL

A couple things to consider:

1. I've seen guys who got hit with a chicken plate on, they're bruised to shit. One guy got hit at an upward angle by a 7.62 and got a cracked sternum and rib. I don't know anyone who has been standing up at the time, and got hit square in the chest. All these were seated, hit at an upward angle 10-30 degrees.

2. Felt recoil is not equal to force of the bullet. That force you feel is softened by:

a. Your shoulder moving (rotating your arm around your center of gravity. Basically, if I push you on your shoulder, your shoulder rocks back and your upper body rotates backwards. If I push you with the same force on the sternum, you're taking a step back)

b. Gas tube/buffer spring (If auto) A M91/30 kicks significantly harder than a PSL/SVD.

c. Weight of the gun

d. You anticipating and being postured for recoil

e. Gas escaping out the front of the barrel after the bullet has departed

3. Chicken plates are not form-fitting (unless you have one large a-cup breast in the middle of your chest). There are 3 points of contact on your body, the top edge, and the two bottom corners. It's not an equal transfer of energy. The soft body armor helps with this, but if you've got a plate mounted to bare skin, I'd say it's about a square inch of contact, depending on your body type.

4. A chicken plate is taking ALL OF THE FORCE AT ONCE. When a gopher gets hit by a 223, the bullet barely even slows down. This bullet is stopping, and somewhere between the bullet and that guys cg, it's all getting soaked up.

5. You can't compare shooting a bullet to throwing a watermelon. Throwing a watermelon is a mechanical lever, (your arms) seated by a 200 lb man, lobbing a 20 lb object (10% of the body weight).

Shooting a bullet is an expansion of gasses propelling a 160 grain aerodynamic object, seated against an 8 lb gun and a 200 lb guy. (20lb vs 200 is not equal to 200lb vs 160gr. And the speed difference doesn't compensate, don't even try that shit)

I really don't know for sure, but would imagine that if you weren't anticipating it, and got hit with a 160gr .308 at what? 2500fps? square in the chicken plate, you'd be on your ass.

my .02

BTW, I'll find an extra plate if anyone here wants to give it the ol college try! LOL

A friend of mine has a farm hog he is likely to slaughter soon. I may attach a steel plate to it and shoot the plate with a .308. Im betting the hog stays standing after the impact. The owner of the body armor company thats in that video has been shot hundreds of times in demonstrations since the 1980's.

I don't think hes faking his demo video. Now I need to find a steel plate that can withstand a .308 impact.

A friend of mine has a farm hog he is likely to slaughter soon. I may attach a steel plate to it and shoot the plate with a .308. Im betting the hog stays standing after the impact. The owner of the body armor company thats in that video has been shot hundreds of times in demonstrations since the 1980's.

I don't think hes faking his demo video. Now I need to find a steel plate that can withstand a .308 impact.

Please please please post a video if you do it!!!

Let us know if you do it. I really don't know if he will stay standing, although a pig has a lower CG than a human. When I get back from the sandbox I've got a plate I'm gonna go "test out" with the PSL. I wish I had a friend with the balls to wear it! LOL Nah, seriously, I don't think I'd have the balls to shoot him!

I've got a plate I'm gonna go "test out" with the PSL. I wish I had a friend with the balls to wear it! LOL Nah, seriously, I don't think I'd have the balls to shoot him!

I shoot my PSL at a 1/2" + 3/16th" (welded together, for extra thickness) steel plate on my spinner I made at work, at THREE HUNDRED YARDS... yes, 300 yards... it ALMOST GOES THRU the 1/2" plate when you miss the smaller 3/16" welded to the front... Thats with WOLF 148 gr. FMJ... I would NOT want to be wearing ANY steel plate at anything LESS than 400M and get hit with the PSL!!!!

:smoke:

my .02

Well mythbusters shot a dummy (so no posturing or anticipation) with a 12 gauge slug (way more momentum than a .308) while the dummy had a vest on to absorb the whole amount of energy and it barely moved.

The guy being shot with the .308 was on one foot, not much bracing he can do with one foot.

The bottom line is a bullet has very little momentum (mass*velocity) compared to bigger items. It just puts all of its energy and momentum into a very small area, that is how they work.

The absorption of recoil is somewhat true, but the amount of eenergy is still the same. The shoulder, recoi-action fo the gun, movement of the body etc. Does not reduce the energy it jsut delays it and spreads the energy out over time. That is where the felt recoil comes in as it may feel like it has less recoil becasue it is over a longer period of time, but the total amount of energy is the same.

The basic physics of it is true however and is pretty hard to argue against as it is basic Newton's Law stuff. All things being equal, for the bullet to knock someone over it would have to knock the shooter over. That is also the basic law that makes rockets work (they throw off mass at high speed and the equal and opposite reaction is what moves it).

Edited by epsylum

Ask any of the 3 gun or IPSC guys what happens when you shoot one of those 50lb plates when it isnt ajusted so that it falls over with a slight push. I have shot steel that is not properly calibrated, ie leaning forward a little, and it goes no where. That steel is only between 50 to 75 lbs at the most and it does not go flying. The only reason it falls is because it is knocked off balance. Now take a person that is wearing a vest, they are not going to fall over. Next look at the person that isnt wearing a vest and you would see that the force is being spread out over a longer time and maybe not transfered completely due to heat or the bullet exiting. That person might fall over due to pain or the wound but they are not thrown by the bullet.

I have seen bullets do some really odd things once they hit, especially people. That video just show how completely stupid people can be. They are either completely ignoring or are ignorant of the basic principles of gun safety. If those two haven't ended up in an ER yet, it is only a matter of time.

I have seen bullets do some really odd things once they hit, especially people. That video just show how completely stupid people can be. They are either completely ignoring or are ignorant of the basic principles of gun safety. If those two haven't ended up in an ER yet, it is only a matter of time.

It's an old marketing trick for body armor manufacturers. It is supposed to show that they trust their product enough to try it thmesleves. The guy who invented them (forgot his name) started the practice by shooting himself with a .357 and then "returning fire" on some bowling pins. Like the one guy said in the vid, shooting themselves is their job.

One could almost say that body armor as we know it may not exist if it wasn't for this marketing trick convincing police and military to buy it.

A bullet cannot hit downrange with more energy than it imparts to your shoulder. That is why no bullets will physically knock you down, and we don't have 40mm howitzers that are shoulder-fired.

Interesting, but have you ever heard of the term "muzzle velocity, or muzzle energy?" Recoil is not the maximum energy that a bullet has after it leaves a barrel. The recoil--and velocity/energy--builds as it travels down the bore and is peaked as it leaves. Felt recoil does not equal bullet energy. A gun butt of a fired rifle, even with a steel butt plate, resting on a concrete block won't smash it, but a .308 bullet damn sure will.

Edited by inparidel
A bullet cannot hit downrange with more energy than it imparts to your shoulder. That is why no bullets will physically knock you down, and we don't have 40mm howitzers that are shoulder-fired.

Interesting, but have you ever heard of the term "muzzle velocity, or muzzle energy?" Recoil is not the maximum energy that a bullet has after it leaves a barrel. The recoil--and velocity/energy--builds as it travels down the bore and is peaked as it leaves. Felt recoil does not equal bullet energy. A gun butt of a fired rifle, even with a steel butt plate, resting on a concrete block won't smash it, but a .308 bullet damn sure will.

That is becasue a gun but a has A LOT more surface area to spread it's energy out over than the .308 bullet.

The recoil energy has little to do with the pressure, it's the reaction to the gun throwing off mass (the bullet) at a high velocity.

Muzzle energy is kinetic energy (M*V^2) there is also momentum (M*V). Bullets have a lot of kinetic energy, but little momentum compared to heavier objects. The reason a bullet penetrates is beacause it is putting all of it's energy into a very small surface area (in effect cutting into the object, like how a knife cuts by putting a lot of force into a very small surface area), but they have little momentum so even if they transfer all of it's energy and momentum into the object won't move as much as if something with mroe momentum hit it. In the case of a shooting, a person would easily beable to absorb the momentum of the bullet, just as the shooter abosrbed the momentum of the gun's equal and opposite reaction (the gun moves less because it has more mass and requires more energy to move than the bullet). It's the hole that it leaves that does the hurting.

Good example, take a chunk of ballistics gel. Shoot it with a .308 (make sure there is enough to abosrb the whole amount of energy and no overpenetration). Measure how far it moves (probably none). Then either take a rather large object like a bowling ball or even your boot covered foot and whack/kick it as hard as you can. I am willing to bet you will move it more than that bullet will.

Bottom line: Bullets have very little momentum and function by putting all of thier energy into a small surface area. The basically act like flying knives cutting into the object. As soon as they incounter something that can withstand the cutting action (like any sort of armor), they quit working. That is why an expanded JHP will penetrate less than an FMJ.

Using my ballistic calculator here is my comparison

A 10lb. (70,000 gr.) ball that is 12inches in diameter going 10 fps

ME (KE)= 15.5 ft/lb

Momentum = 100 ft/lb. seconds

Taylor Knockout = 1200

Sectional Density = .833333

Power factor = 700

A 180gr. .308Win going 2600fps

ME (KE)= 2702.56

Momentum = 66.86

Tatylor Knockout = 20.59

Section Density = .0834

Power Factor = 468

The momentum means the most when talking about knocking things over. I shoto bowling pins and it is well known that 9mm is not that hot at knocking bowling pins clear off the table (they have to go back about 3 feet to clear the table). So much so we let 9mm shoot from the center of the table cutting the distance it needs to travel in half. Why? They have just as much energy as standard .45acp, but they don't knock them off as well. Momentum. They just don't have the mass in the bullet to get enough momentum to knock the pin off. We mainly shoot .45acp, 10mm, .357mag, and .44mag. There is one .40 shooter, but he is by far the best shot and can shoot each pin 3 times and still beat his opponent, but his favorite pin gun is a 629 .44mag (launches them right off in one hit). Those of us who don't use magnum rounds (and even some who do) use the heaviest bullets we can get (mostly 230gr. for .45acp and 200gr. for 10mm and my dad has good luck with a super hot 157gr. .357mag).

Shooting pins teaches you alot about momentum when it comes to bullets, plus it's just plain fun.

Edited by epsylum

"have you ever heard of the term "muzzle velocity, or muzzle energy?"

Ow. That hurts.

All I am saying is that the energy going one way (bullet) equals the energy going the other way (recoil). Sure, the recoil gets dissapated over time and surface area; that's the whole point. If it did not, guns would be deadly in both directions. And the point of this thread is, "I don't think that was full power ammo in the video- a .308 would have knocked him down" and the answer is, No, that's probably full power .308, because a Level V vest can easily stop that round and dissapate the energy, just like the gun does, so that much energy will not cause trauma to your body. There simply isn't enough energy in a .308 to actually knock you down. For a 165 grain projectile to have enough energy to knock you down, it would have to be going much faster, and then it would either need a thicker vest to stop it, or it would go right through you, and not expend all its energy, and still not knock you down.

Sir Issac Newton and Dr. Bender (high school physics teacher) happen to agree with me!

post-2407-1146702999.jpg

"I have even had a cookie named for me"

I've re-watched that vid...& I got no probs with it NOT knocking him down...The only prob I have is..that I still think Full power ammo...on impact even with that vest...would still Hurt like a Sun-Bitch..I've been hit with 30 cal from over 300 meters away...with a vest..Not that brandon the vid..but a decent vest...Didn't knock me down...I fliched big time..& it scared the shit out of me...But it STILL hurt..& brused the area of impact....

But these jokers pack themselves with phone books between the vest and their bodies to dissipate the blunt trauma. Plus, this is a level IV vest, multiple layers of overlapping kevlar with steel, titanium or ceramic plates. I don't know if your vest was that intense.

Nah..I'm pretty sure mine was a different schedule..Plus as you said they were pack'n extra paper..etc..But..wasn't that vid made like in the Mid 80s??..or is it more recent..

But..still....even the recoil on thos guns they're using..when fired don't look like they got much jump to em..& they don't appear to be that big of massive type guys....I still gott'a believe those are lighter loads with softer bullets..

I remember that California news caster..That shot himself in the leg about last year on the air....was using some of that Second chance stuff..on his front leg area...he was using a 22 revolver with a 6" barrel...& he even hopped around like he was shot..scream'n that it hurt like hell..& that was a 22 rim fire..

I wonder if those guys are still around..or got into something else..Like Testing granades for dud's or something...:-)

I remember that California news caster..That shot himself in the leg about last year on the air....was using some of that Second chance stuff..on his front leg area...he was using a 22 revolver with a 6" barrel...& he even hopped around like he was shot..scream'n that it hurt like hell..& that was a 22 rim fire..

I wonder if those guys are still around..or got into something else..Like Testing granades for dud's or something...:-)

That all depends on the type and level of armor used.

The one in the vid was a pretty high level one. I mean that thing was pretty friggin big, not something a normal soldier would be wearing.

Plus who knows how many layers of magazines he has underneath that thing ;)

http://www.militaryspot.com/videos/video8.htm

He goes down, but not because of bullet force.......

Nuff said about that one, I was wrong. And if that wasn't enough, elypsum, the "whacking/kicking" of the ballistics gel brought it home for me. (Insert smiley with a light bulb over his head here)

And Indy, chicken plates aren't steel, so you don't have to worry about that. Believe me, I will give a detailed report with a metric shit-ton of pictures whenever I go shoot those plates. It's gonna be a while down the road though.

I can't download the video, so I can't comment on the type of armor he's using. But, I can say that if it were made in the 80's, don't assume level of protection based on the size, body armor has changed a lot just in the last 5 years.

I found a debrief on a guy that got shot with a 7.62x54R in the upper right portion of his chicken plate. He broke a rib, and his f*&ing collarbone. It was at an upward angle and the shrapnel fucked up his jaw as well. Bad juju. So, without a doubt, it will hurt like holy hell. That wasn't you by chance was it starlynx??

But, I still don't believe that a gun would knock down the shooter if the bullet were capable of knocking down the shootee. Boy, my choice of words there just discredited any opinion I ever give, but I'm stickin' with it.

A bullet firing is an explosion in between a 165 gr bullet, and an 8 pound gun. The majority of that expansion is going to take the path of least resistance. Since we like to compare everything to bowling balls on this forum (I was out of the office when the mods made that standard): Take an eight pound bowling ball, and a one-pound basketball of the same dimesions. Put them in a "giant gun barrel" the same diameter as the balls (WTF caliber is that!?) butted up against each other, centered in the tube, with an explosive in between them. Light it, take a few steps back, plug your ears, and observe.......... Take out your tape measure and tell me which one rolled further. If you say they both went the same distance, you're a liar. The pressure expands wherever it can, and the basketball will move further faster, and as the basketball exits the tube (before the bowling ball), all of the pressure now escapes out of the open end. So, based on that explanation, would you say that 50% of the pressure went to the basketball, and 50% went to the bowling ball? Now imagine the one pound basketball as a 165gr .308, and the eight bound ball being a bullet casing, stuck in a chamber, tightly attached to an eight pound gun.

For you smartasses out there, I know that the basketball would puncture upon detonation, just humor me.

If I'm wrong, or arguing the wrong point, educate me. I R DUM

PS - Tim & Steve, I'm starting the painful process of leaving tomorrow, so expect a call next weekend if able. I've got the dispatch signed for one day of shooting, and the wife will prolly come along. (Some .410 action maybe??)

Acceleration force reacting on shooter is spread over the length that expanding gasses are accelerating the bullet (length of barrel + small distance past the end of the barrel, untill the pressure on the nose of the bullet equalls the pressure on the base of the bullet).

Acelleration forces reacting on shootee= velocity of bullet X weight of bullet spread over the distance bullet penetrates -any energy the bullet retains afterpassing through (if it passes through).

Body armor will stop the bullet in a short distance therefore while ther may be no penetration of the shootee's person, the felt impact will be greater tha it would be if was not wearing armor,and will be much greater than that felt by the shooter.

Firearms work because the area of the butt of the stock is much larger that the bullet. Also the length of the acceleration is long and spreads the energy over time. The bullet hits and attempts to dissapate this energy into an area the size of the bullet. The bullet is at terminal velocity when it impacts. Therefore the bullet has the maximum energy over theminimum area at impact.

Armor can dissapate that energy over a distance of no more than it's thickness. Therefore it must work mainly by spreading it over the largest possible area. Since the force will be dissapated over a much shorter time, and the pulse will start at maximum force and go down from there----it will ALLWAYS be more punishing and cause a greater reaction to the shootee than the shooter.

Think of a baseball-the pitch does not hurt the pitcher-but a bean ball will hurt a batter. Exact same physics.

G O B

Nuff said about that one, I was wrong. And if that wasn't enough, elypsum, the "whacking/kicking" of the ballistics gel brought it home for me. (Insert smiley with a light bulb over his head here)

Glad I could be of some help.

BTW since you can't see his armor, I would guess it to be at least a level IV. It is quite big and has those pockets with plates all over it. Much more protection than your usual military issue, but it is also very cumbersome and probably weighs a lot.

BTW he gets shot at point blank range with an FAL while standing on one foot, twice. It would take a LOT of money to pay me to do that. but, then again some people like to jump out of airplanes. ;)