Anybody have any idea why there are no 12 g uppers for AR's? I would think an AR-10 could handle it, and didnt someone here find that you can fit a 12 gauge shell in an FAL mag, which some AR-10's take? I think that would be sweet. Or am I missing something?

I had asked tony rumore of www.tromix.com about maybe doing a 410 upper for me a ways back. he said that it would be prohibitively expensive, basically. now a 12 guage? dunno bout that one. I wonder if they would classify the ar15 as a destructive device! BOY, thatd piss a lot of people off, wouldnt it.

Everything is expensve, but why would it be less feasible than the .458 uppers or .50AE's? I would think people would eat them up. Right up Tromix's alley, but I guess if he says its not feasible it probably aint. I figure the S-12 would still have it beat as far as robustness and reliability, but an AR-12 would still be badass. I think I'm just running out of peculiar shotties to buy. Spas-15 is too expensive and the USAS is too much of a hassle. Wish I was a gunsmith... or smart...or rich

There is an AR that has a modular lower rec with changable magwell that can accept AR, AK, and M14 mags. It can be used with the quick change barrel upper that allows to swap between barrels/callibers rather quickly. I asked the manufacture about the possability of adding 12guage to the list of modular componets, along with some other options that would be nice to have, and was told that 12g was too big to fit into the base system without redesign. If I understand correctly, the challenge has to do with fitting the 12g barrel into the upper rec. On the bright side, I was told that 20 Gauge is on the list of future options along with many other cal/cart. Also sounds as though atleast one of the other options that I said I would like to see them offer, has been in the field for testing for a few months now. :osama::killer:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=258692&page=4

There is an AR that has a modular lower rec with changable magwell that can accept AR, AK, and M14 mags. It can be used with the quick change barrel upper that allows to swap between barrels/callibers rather quickly. I asked the manufacture about the possability of adding 12guage to the list of modular componets, along with some other options that would be nice to have, and was told that 12g was too big to fit into the base system without redesign. If I understand correctly, the challenge has to do with fitting the 12g barrel into the upper rec. On the bright side, I was told that 20 Gauge is on the list of future options along with many other cal/cart. Also sounds as though atleast one of the other options that I said I would like to see them offer, has been in the field for testing for a few months now. :osama::killer:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=258692&page=4

Very cool I'll be looking into them. I figured the 12 might be too big for the ar15, but for an AR10, I know its a pipe dream.... A 20 would kick some serious ass anyway. Thanks for the link CS!!

A 12 g shell will fit into a G3 mag. I did ask if there were any plans to offer a modular AR 10 platform, thinking that it might be even more "versital".(were's the spell check) Their answer was "not at this time"

Was also told that if they have enough of a demand for a piston driven unit, that they would eventually build a very good one.

Edited by cscharlie

Because all the shit that the ar15 gas system would spew into the receiver from firing a 12 gauge round would probably make it a single-shot gun. :lolol:

A gas piston system would be required. All current gas piston uppers for ar15s cost about 1000 dollars.

Imagine what a 12 gauge one would cost.

Anybody have any idea why there are no 12 g uppers for AR's? I would think an AR-10 could handle it, and didnt someone here find that you can fit a 12 gauge shell in an FAL mag, which some AR-10's take? I think that would be sweet. Or am I missing something?

4 words:

because

the

AR

sucks.

the saiga 12 is not beefed up that much more than the x39 ak.

look at the size of that USAS 12 receiver! it's so beefed up that it looks fucked up!

Such an animal would need a completely different upper receiver. Tromix ARs in any caliber, as far as I know, are able to use standard upper receivers and bolt carriers. I'm also assuming the bolts use standard specs and are simply modified from standard ones, using the same barrel extensions with custom barrels using standard threads.

• 2 weeks later...