Dinzag's S-223 Conversion

Here's my S-223 conversion. 2004 model, BHO, 16" barrel.

I have to weld the 2 rod holders on, clean-up & paint yet. Also waiting the return of my bolt carrier from Pistonring8.

Parts:

AK-47 Lower HG retainer from TheGunHustler

Threading kit from wjm

Carrier beadblasting via Pistonring8

Romy kit parts & G2 from DPH Arms - (cleaning rod, FSB indexing pin & pin, rod holder, bayo lug & gas tube)

K-Var stock HG's & PG

Hole plugs, bullet guide & various drill & dremel bits.

Mods:

-Usual PG conversion with K-Var U.S. furniture. 6 compliance parts with FCG & Furniture. I can attach any import mag or brake.

-Added bullet guide & fitted AK-74 mags & followers.

-Notched safety lever for BHO capability.

-Pressed FSB off barrel & removed the shroud; drilled for indexing pin & spring & ground the bottom flat for cleaning rod holder. (need to weld)

-Pressed off gas block & attach bayo lug to bottom. (need to weld)

-Notched barrel for AK-47 lower HG retainer locking tab.

-Swapped factory gas tube for AKM tube with retainers.

-Threaded barrel for 14x1LH threads.

Things learned:

I wanted the FSB in the factory position and with the AK-74 brake there wasn't a need to attach a bayonette lug or bayonette. Due to length of barrel in front of FSB, the forward threads had to be ground down to clear inside of the brake. If one wants a bayonette attached, you need to move the FSB forward or bayo lug back. Use cobalt bits for drilling the FSB & trunnion as there is a lot of carbon in the steel.

Also, converting these things are too much fun! :smoke: Thanks for looking!

post-2093-1145731617_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1145731742_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1145733560_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1145733642_thumb.jpg

Edited by dinzag
  • 1 month later...

Here it is as welded. I need to grind a little & paint.

Since the AK-47 HG retainers don't have a sling loop, I put the AK-47 one on just behind the gas block - just barely enough room. The barrel diameter was a perfect fit and it was held on with the gas block.

The close-ups also show the dilemma with the factory FSB being set back for proper bayo lug placement. Normally they are on the front of the gas block bottom. To get the bayo to lock it needs to be set back 1/2" the same as the FSB.

Gotta finish her up so I can work on the 308. :smoke:

post-2093-1150924409_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1150924469_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1150924522_thumb.jpg

Great work - I like it! :up:

Looks a lot like my Bulgy 74.

What kinda finish you going to use?

I used Duplicolor on my .308's receiver to clean it up after the pg conversion and it matched the stock paint perfectly after I baked it. I mean you can't tell where the duplicolor starts - perfect match, and seems to be very durable.

Here's a shot of it:

20500Saiga_underside_308_conversion.jpg

Edited by O.S.O.K.

Thanks!

I still haven't figured out how to upload & attach a photo larger than 100kb. Yours bogged down my dial-up connection, but that's not saying much. Maybe the problem's on my end...

I haven't decided on the paint yet. I did the entire S-12 with the low-gloss black duplicolor - that stuff is impossible to mess up and seems to be pretty damn durable. I used K&G Gunkote on the 410 & 762x39 and wasn't too impressed with how it laid down, but it seems to be holding. I might try some Moly or Duracoat this time around.

The Duplicolor wins so far - that K&G was pretty steep for what you get!

Edited by dinzag