I replaced my asphalt shingles based on condition, not time.

I noticed the sudden presence of the shingle gravel showing up at the downspout discharges, and saw that the tabs were starting to curl on the shingles on the south side of the house. That was enough right there to commit to replacement. Add in that the roof was approaching 25 years of age and it was unmistakably time...that or wait for water to come in and start ruining ceilings. 

I would say 20-25 yrs depending how well they are installed,weather climate, ect. I had to have mine replaced about 5-6 yrs ago due to curling and shingle gravel in the gutters.  Even had an insurance company refuse to insure my home because of some of the shingles curlingi was changing insurance at the time and when they first looked at the house, the said everything was fine, a few days later though i received a cancellation notice, although i went to another company and they had no problem insuring me. The last shingles only lasted around 15 yrs. Just make sure if you are having someone perform the work for you, that they are highly reputable.  

• 2 weeks later...

When I had this house built, I had a commercial aluminum roof installed. 50 year warranty so any replacement will be SEP(someone else's problem).

Asphalt shingles come in various weights, the heavier, the longer the guarantee. But climate and environmental conditions can greatly shorten their lifespan. Look for erosion in the space between tabs. That and poor flashing cause most leaks. 

In MD I found that oil heat weaken shingles, and leaves do also. Both from the acid.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...