Has Tony ever mounted MMC turrets to S12 covers?

the MMC ghostring sight:

gun_shotrear.gif

They come in tritum, and large and small radius sizes. They are fully adjustable for elevation and windage.

It is a good sight. I used to have a Rem 870 with one on it. Plus, the turret is pretty tough.

I figure that if I am going to upgrade sights, I might as well see if I can get something I was already very comfortable with.

Edited by headshot

I have not.

It is very difficult to mount sights on the top cover like that, since the dome profile of the top cover never seems to match anything made for other shotguns. So the fit is rather poor between the two. It is also very time consuming to reprofile the bottom of the sight to fit correctly.

It's one of those jobs that seems simple enough, but will cost 100+ bucks to do it and it may not look like a factory install job when you're done. Not worth it in my book.

Also the top cover on the Saiga leans to the right, so you have to weld that up as well, just to get the thing to sit straight.

UH OH, somewhere there's a tube of JB weld that's about to die ....

:)

If it were me, I'd be thinking about the G3 sight package that Tony does do.

Tony, How is the rear sight diff for the G3? Have you made up a custom base, or does it happen to fit, or ???

The rear G3 sights sits on a .235" wide straight bar. I have an aluminum male block that fits up inside the top cover which allows me to clamp it up in the milling machine level and straight. I then machine a .235" wide slot across the top cover for the bar to sit down into. The bar is then Tig welded in place from the bottom. I then drill and tap the bar for a 10-32 button head allen screw which retains the sight on the bar.

With it all jigged up like this, everything ends up straight on the top cover. Then I weld up the bottom right hand side of the top cover so it sits level on the receiver.

The rear G3 sights sits on a .235" wide straight bar. I have an aluminum male block that fits up inside the top cover which allows me to clamp it up in the milling machine level and straight. I then machine a .235" wide slot across the top cover for the bar to sit down into. The bar is then Tig welded in place from the bottom. I then drill and tap the bar for a 10-32 button head allen screw which retains the sight on the bar.

With it all jigged up like this, everything ends up straight on the top cover. Then I weld up the bottom right hand side of the top cover so it sits level on the receiver.

Is anything done to the sight itself?

-C4-