.308 Scope and Scope Mount

The title and description says it all!

What are everyone's best recommendations for scope mount and scope. I mean best not cheapest. Most durable most accurate most easily dialed in etc etc etc...

I know there are other older threads but things change ;). What are the latest rec's?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Any of the POSP series will work solid. Check out Kalinka's website and see what appeals to you. Also, I'd recommend the Iszmash made scope mount if you plan on using a scope without a built in mount. I've got that mount and have had no trouble unlike some of the "Made in Belarus" models I"ve heard about.

Edit: I just picked up a Romak 3 and plan on getting a POSP or PSO scope for myself.

Edited by KySoldier

I use a POSP on mine, among other set-ups.

While I like the POSP, I suspect that a mount that is CENTERED (the POSP is not...as the Saiga factory mount is not) might not be the "best' for most folks initial use.

A mount that centered and had a picatinny rail on top would give the most adaptability for scope (and other device) use. I did this with a Belarus BP series mount...but had to relocate the rail to center.

Another issue, a IMPORTANT one that is often overlooked -is that you will NOT HAVE ADEQUATE EYE RELIEF if you try to use a POSP that is intended for standard AK use. It will fit fine, but the longer Saiga FACTORY stock is too long to allow one to get behind the scope close enough to use it correctly.

The stock would have to be replaced with a shorter one, the factory stock shortened (what I elected to do -I'm cheap), a "conversion" done where the milspec stock is shorter, or, a POSP version that sets more to the rear used.

Saiga30801-15-06L2.jpg

My squat/chopped stock...I'm a short armed guy anyway.

Some people have a routine of use of the left eye and/or other contortions to be able to use the POSP when it presents this problem...but that seems pretty lame to me.

BTW, there is a well made & heavy chinese made "Leapers" mount that is interesting (I use one of these as well). It is inexpensive, but is not "quick detaching" (no biggie)...goes on via allen screws, but allows field stripping of the gun while attached.

Leapersmount.jpg

Here's my "Leapers" mount...it comes in black. The olive colored finish was my doing.

Jus' some thoughts and observations.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger
I foudn the KVAR to be the closest to perfect. by far the lowest, a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiit to the left, but I suspect you could play with teh mount ot get it perfectly centered.

KV-04S.jpg

Model KV-04...out of stock currently.

It looks like the rail could be moved to center via drill & tap, as I did on a BP-01 mount (much the same on top). If the latter was to be done, the newer low mounting BP-02 would be a better choice for most.

The K-var product is probably a bit pricey (common for them)...compared to, say, a Belarus or Leapers.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Edited by lollygagger

Call ANVS in Salt Lake City UT--1 800 561 2345. They sell a side mount that fits Saiga that positions your scope dead center. Think it's about 40 bucks. If you get it, take all the screws out, apply a little Loctite and reassemble. Comes with a Weaver style base. Also sell Kobra red dots that come with a side mount.

The PKAS-V you've got works solid on a 308, what about a 12???

A 7.62x39 actually - don't have my .308 yet. But if you are refering to recoil resistance, this thing is solid - I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a 12. IMHO

Also, from Freedom Optics: "Your Satisfaction is Guaranteed or Your Money Back

If you are not completely satisfied for any reason with any product you ordered you may return that product back to us within 10 calendar days after your order is delivered to you, provided that the item your are returning remains unused and is in its original condition and includes all packaging, instructions manual and other documentation, and all the accessories in unused condition. The 10-day period begins once the merchandise is delivered to you by the shipping carrier. To be entitled to the refund, you must obtain a Return Authorization Number by contacting us at order@FreedomOptics.com, you must follow our shipping instructions and we must receive the product back at our facility within the above specified 10-day period.

We do not charge any "restocking" fees, however, the shipping/handling charges are non-refundable."

In fairness to them, I would ask them about the Saiga 12 when ordering and see what they say.