Disected a Door Breaching Round. (pic)

Carbon is not magnetic. Iron in most any form, is.

Generally if an element is magnetic, then it is also a metal (vise versa is not true). Carbon (non-metal) and Iron (metal) are both basic elements.

Carbon is not magnetic. Iron in most any form, is.

Generally if an element is magnetic, then it is also a metal (vise versa is not true). Carbon (non-metal) and Iron (metal) are both basic elements.

Pretty much correct.

The term "ferrous" (meaning containing Iron and usually means magnetic) is derived from "FE" the symbol for Iron on the periodic table.

Most non-magnetic ferrous materials are types of alloys like stainless steel (usually is not magnetic).

ok according to the NSN on the item in the review the projectile weighs 398.98 grains but for the life of me the database I am looking at doesn't have much on the filler. I am guessing the material in the projectile is bismith or another non lead heavy material, maybe tungston, both replacements for lead shot too.

Both bismith and tungston are metals for sure, reading more on the data base on this it might be copper/zinc mixture though too.

Edited by okie shooter

i thought door breaching rounds used lead dust?

un-fucking-believable...ol' painless'es box-o-truth is banned by the navy-marine team! i'm surprised these idiots don't ban usmc.mil cuz of all those "evil nasty guns and tanks and mean old stuff"...assholes.

Edited by PogueMahone
i thought door breaching rounds used lead dust?

I imagine you dont want to be shooting lead dust loaded rounds no matter what, breathing heavy metals is not good for you for sure. Thats why indoor rifle ranges have to have ventilation to deal with lead dust along with burnt propellant. Other heavy metals you dont want to be ingesting or breating include brillium copper, depleated uraninum too. (depleated uraninum danger is not radioactivity but heavy metal posioning)