Brownell barrel porting jig

I was going to buy that tool.... too much money!!, for so little use... BUT there is HOPE, I did my own. Port your Saiga barrel for about $15.00 sound o.k.??? A drill press with a vise is very helpful, but not neccessary. Required materials, small hammer, sharp center punch, #3 lathe centering tool, 1/2 inch wide piece of aluminum angle stock about 12 inchs long, new 1/16 (or so) inch drill bit (the 135 degree ones self center, which is nice). Wtih no mag in the gun, set gun on flat suface AT THE MAG WELL with the stock hanging off table. Put angle on left side where you want the holes, scribe TOP/center of gun. Put angle on RIGHT side and scribe another line. Your true center is in the middle. Turn angle stock UPto the Centerline , scribe lines on left and right of CENTER line, these are your other "ports". Lay out ports where you want them. Center punch ports. Stagger them as you wish. Put gun in vise,locate holes and just start them w/1/16 inch bit.(After you are happy? with their location, drill them on thru. I left plenty of punched marks in caseIwanted more holes later(wouldn't need to lay-out again),and I put more on the right side vrs the left side. w/ more holes on top than the side. I'm still at 23 holes, BUT can easily add more. Next put gun in vise and take # center finder and drill and champher your holes with it. Keep in mind .... if you are going to add a Poly-choke, start back 3 or 4 inchs w/the FURTHEST from the front hole. If you want to keep your barrel at 19 inchs?

post-3152-1146620546_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeNM