new to board - just bought a Saiga .308

Hey, I just registered - have a Saiga .308 on the way - bought it on Gunbroker today. Been checking the posts on converting hi-cap mags for use in this rifle. What's the latest on this?

Also, I am planning on converting to pg/standard buttstock config. Have this link which gives a nice tutorial: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_1.htm

Anybody have any other links that would be useful? Seems pretty straight forward. I build from Armory receivers and kits, so this looks pretty easy.

One question though - do the .308 versions have the pg square hole already or do I have to place my own? Any other diff.s between the .308 and the .223 as is show in the turoial link above?

I've got a couple of other Saigas - on is a 7.62 that was converted into AK-103 config by Elite in Dallas - that was actually a gunsnet raffle win - only time I've ever won something like that. The other is a .223 Saiga conversion that is well - what it is. Here's a couple of pics:

20500AK-103_Right_open.jpg

20500AK103_left_side.jpg

Anyway - see some familiar names here on this board - I usually hang at gunsnet.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

The .308 rifles do not have the pivot pins like the other models do,as for the pistol grip hole I'm not sure if there is a hole for the nut.I think these are easier and if you rivet yourself you should have it easy going then.I know you on gunsnet where in Texas are you?I might hit you for a conversion party with my .308.

Some have the PG nut hole and some don't. If it doesn't you can use a SAW style pistol grip from TAPCO and get by without cutting a new hole. My 308 and 7.62x39 already had the hole cut, but my 12 did not.

Thanks guys.

Texasak - I am near Austin. And yeah, I'm the same O.S.O.K. :)

And BTW, I didn't do the .223 conversion - I bought this rifle from another gunsnet member and just added the T-6 buttstock. I did ramp the chamber a tiny bit though, as it wasn't feeding reliably (the guy that sold it to me informed me of this b4 I bought it). I also converted 5 Weiger mags for it - and they work flawlessly.

Edited by O.S.O.K.