Vepr .308 vs. Saiga .308, which is more accurate?

I'm thinking about selling or trading my HK G3 for either a Vepr .308 or a Saiga .308 (22" barrel version). My HK just doesn't have the accuracy I'd like in a .308 (at least mine doesn't). Which of these to you think is more accurate? Saiga is half the price of the Vepr, but will be converted to Pistol Grip configuration (just like all my Saigas). Saiga mags are cheaper and only hold 8 rounds, but can hold 10 with modification. Which would you prefer? I'd like a fun range gun that is decently accurate w/o having to use expensive match grade ammo. I also have around 1400 rounds of surplus .308 left, so it would make sense to get another .308. Both guns use the heavier RPK receivers and heavy barrels.

Saiga .308 converted

done.JPG

Vepr .308

Tejas_Gunwerks_1080244428_VEPR_II_.308.jpg

vepr uses RPK type parts and are thicker/heavier. would think vepr would be more accurate. the saiga ak74 receiver slightly thicker than usuual. the front trunion is reinforced on right side though think its shortened not sure to fit receiver.

www.robarm.com has some info on vepr they import parts and make US parts add them for 922® compliance.

krebs custom I believe did hicap conversions for saiga 308 but heard its no longer done.

have heard of nice groupings from both.

I have a two VEPR's in .308 and I love them. Accuracy is better than M1A or G3/CETME. I only use Hertenberger(Austrian) and South African Ammo, supposed to be the very best of the cheap stuff. Accuracy is better than 1.25(MOA) at 100 meters! Thats groups I fired with the adjustable iron sights. The groups I fired with the 8x42 PSOP sniper scope are equivalant and better at 300-600 meters!

If you want to know a secret; I am in need of some major cash for a very special project and will be willing to let go the newer of the two Vepr's. This Vepr ONLY has two boxes through it!!!!!

It is set up as follows:

-24" barrel Vepr .308(NATO)7.62x51mm with adjustable trigger and iron sights($650)

-8X42 PSOP Scope w/ IR detector, scope caps/ eye-shield and carrying case ($159)

- Original Box W/ all the extras=Manual, cleaning kit, sling, cleanin rod, & oil bottle

-Tiger-wood thumb-hole stock with hardware just like the SVD Tigers

-Black tactical stock with pistol grip that looks so much like the H&K PSG1

($125)

-(4) ten round mags($169)

-(1) five round mag

-Harris LS-A1 bi-pod ($79)

-Camoflage Soft Assault case ($49)

-Hard Shell travel case (Airliner) ($99)

-Check-rest (black polymer) ($25)

Total: $1,000 (USD) plus shipping!

You save: $350 buying this set up.

P.S. The stupid scope mount they give you when you buy these VEPR's and Saiga's is realy horrible and won't hold zero PLUS if you use coventional scopes there is not enough adjustment to zero and the scope sits to high and to the right is why, always use the Russian side-rail optics that are designed for these rifles!!!!

If you do go for this deal I will offer you only once and for only this one purchase a 1st Gen. Russian 4X Night Vision scope with weaver mount for only $425 in excellent condition with amazing clarity. It also comes with a Russian side-rail mount too! Normal cost of scope is $600 range. Side-rail mount is $110 fully adjustable. Not cheap $40 model, This is a Good Russian Mount with weaver/picatinney rail centerd over reciever.

If you don't want the mount, but just the scope I'll knock off $99! With this lil' set-up though you can do just about any thing: mount the scope to your AR-15 or FAL even a deer rifle. You can use the side-rail weaver mount to attach reflex sights or conventional optics like a MK4 Leupold scope or the likes!

Let me know what you think okay?

post-6-1085637558.jpg

Edited by rock47

Rock, you are quite the salesman, you always have something for sale.

I appreciate the offer, but no thanks. I would need to sell my G3 for now ($700) and then I would rather buy just a basic Vepr II .308 ($529) or a Saiga .308 ($249). I don't need all the stuff you are offering. BTW, you never did get back to me about the USAS 12 mags. You were going to email me some pics of them converted. Thanks.

My local shop has a used one for $525, but it's gone now. Sportingarms.com has Vepr II .308 for $549 in stock.

I have heard that the G3s are very accurate, but mine is not. It is a Hesse-built clone, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Well the best to you. I don't think that the Vepr II is as good as the Vepr "I". The Vepr II only has 20" barrel. Great for plinky or a brush gun, but lacking the extra 4 inches the semi-auto needs for bolt gun accuracy you want! They know longer make the Vepr "I", the 24 inch barrel model for import. What I have is a rare bird. I have heared a lot of complaints about the Vepr II' accuracy. With the loss of 4" of rifiling accuracy is more in the 2.5 MOA range. Medicore if you ask me.

Once you drop your $529 plus tax and shipping and dealer fee's you'll be more in the $650 range.

Plus you'll want a couple extra mags @ 49.99 a mag plus shipping=$100.

A good bi-pod ($80) and you'll be so frustrated with the messed-up scope mount that you'll blow $160 plus bucks for a good eight power Russian scope.

TOTAL: $990

All the time and money ordering this and that, that you wished you took this deal.

ABOUT the USAS-12 mag conversion. I got the info back from my buddy two weeks ago, I guess he had it burried for awile under ground (freaken wierdo) and he chikened out on doing it, because of some flak he heared about PRE-BAN hype by a neighbor .

I hate to do this to you, but I hope you understand. I am at the end of a MAJOR project with this bolt-hold-open device (AKA) the "AK SUPER CATCH" and I would rather wait untill this whole assault weapons ban fades away if you don't mind. I DO NOT NEED ANY accusations by some one ease drooping in on our conversations to mess-up my clean rep.

post-6-1085637728.jpg

Edited by rock47

That's wierd that I've heard that the saiga doesn't have a bolt open latch or catch that you guys are talking about. I've done the conversion on my 7.62 (trigger forward and the whole nine yards), if I hold the trigger and pull back the bolt lever - the open the Bolt/piston assembly stays open! it is VERY sensitive, like picking up the gun with slam it back into place. I use it when cooling the gun - would NEVER trust it with rounds in or around the gun.

is this the same?

Nah, what your talking about is an "old favorite trick" which is workable, not as a designed in feature but a pleasant side effect of the architecture of the gun. I use the technique you are refering to "all the time" to single load my first round before inserting a full magazine.

What they are talking about is making modifications to the gun, such that it will have a mechanical bolt hold open. These "kits" can go from simple to complex in a hurry. I have heard that some of the newwer models may come with a device already installed.