how many Saiga .308 rifles are being imported?

Was just wondering how many of the .308's are coming in and if the numbers would justify the production of high-cap mags.

The thing is that it takes at least a couple thousand units to justify the production of metal formed mags. And the initial cost of the first 2.000 units wouldn't allow for much profit at the sale.

You have the mag body, baseplate, spring and follower. I would estimate that the per-unit cost on the first 2,000 would run $25 - this is an educated guess. This includes the cost of making the dies. We're talking $50K with a return of $100K if they sold for $50.

After the initial run, the cost per unit would fall to $12-$15 or so.

I would think that a number like 10,000 units would be a minimum to sell to justify the risk.

Just a thought....

I don't know how much a good injection molded product would run...

Check out the old posts. Demand is HUGE. Supply is non existant. Everone who has tried to make S-.308 mags has been stymied by the fact that they can only be fabricated of unobtainum, and the entire supply is being used to build peace in Iraq.

G O B

I think the ATF wouldn't allow the import of the saiga's with large capacity mags. I don't think we will ever see any high cap mags in the future i don't think it will be allowed to happen the ATF will stop it thats my gut feeling.

BTW; I don't think we will even see anymore 308 saiga sporters with synthetic stocks too its off the saiga website here(importer) so it just maybe gonzo now too. So whats left out there for sale thats it.