Halo Handguard - Pre Production sneak peak (pics)

I just received this Halo handguard, as-cast from the mold for a fit check on the Tromix shorty 12" guns. No final machine work has been done on it. This thing is EXTREMELY robust. I don't think you could break it if you ran over it with your truck. No Airsoft part here my friend. Time for Chipahoy to break out his best crow recipe....it's time for dinner my friend.

post-3-1147104922_thumb.jpg

post-3-1147104936_thumb.jpg

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Very moist indeed.

It is comming along very nicely. I am glad to see someone step up and make a streight up bolt on model like that. Wish it was around about 5 months ago when I did mine.

Got to say, it goes perfectly with your conversions Tony.

I just received this Halo handguard, as-cast from the mold for a fit check on the Tromix shorty 12" guns. No final machine work has been done on it. This thing is EXTREMELY robust. I don't think you could break it if you ran over it with your truck. No Airsoft part here my friend. Time for Chipahoy to break out his best crow recipe....it's time for dinner my friend.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Does this require any smithing? Or is this a bolt on to the S-12?

That looks sweet! Hope it is heatable.

I am in no way comparing this one to the generic composite front handhard that is sold for AK's, but I had one of those and was dumping my 2nd 40round magazine out of it and melted the thing down. It looked good, seemed sturdy, but couldn't handle an AK level heat. I think there is more surface area in an S-12 to disperse heat, and less friction from ammo on the barrel, but I ended up going with an aluminum one that blackjack now carries for AK's. It is an awesome lightweight cool running aluminum.

This one looks like it has to go on top of the S-12 shopping list!

That looks sweet! Hope it is heatable.

I am in no way comparing this one to the generic composite front handhard that is sold for AK's, but I had one of those and was dumping my 2nd 40round magazine out of it and melted the thing down. It looked good, seemed sturdy, but couldn't handle an AK level heat. I think there is more surface area in an S-12 to disperse heat, and less friction from ammo on the barrel, but I ended up going with an aluminum one that blackjack now carries for AK's. It is an awesome lightweight cool running aluminum.

This one looks like it has to go on top of the S-12 shopping list!

According to Halo they are cast and milled "70 series Aluminum"

I got that here

I hope the plastic is just for mock-up.

Edited by epsylum

God damn, I want to like it but it just looks big to me. Does anyone have a front view? I guess I'm used to quad rails on AR's and the tri rail set up's on the Krebs AK's. I am diggin on Tony's new stock. There's a lot of really cool shit coming out, this is pretty slick in itself but I wish it was more compact looking and I've yet to see something that has a good co-witness set up between the irons and a dot. I'm wishing for a trimmed back version, possibly with an extension on the rear to make it more like a Predator rail on the AR's. Add an EOTech and a couple AR flip up's and I'd be good with it. (but then again, I'm not the one shelling out R&D cash so it's easy to kick back and make suggestions).

One of Tony's SBS set ups with the new stock, a carbine length cut HALO rail and a matching heigth rail on the cover (EOTech and flip up's) would be bad ass. Someone buck up so I can get a free peek.

Edited by 6500rpm

It weighs 1.76 pounds, but that is as-cast before final machining. I have no idea how much material will be taken off during the final machining process, but the weight will be coming down.

I put the handguard on an S-20 and it fit very well. The tongue on the S-12 handgard is narrower then the slot in the S20 receiver, but it still did not flop around after I mounted it.

Here's a front angle pic of the HALO mounted on an unconverted S-20.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=403771

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

1.76#, Thanks Tony! Would be nice if you could post the finished weight after you have that info aswell.

I like the way the Preditor rail extends further back over the reciever. I wonder how strong that section of rail over the reciever would be without the support of the rec. like it would have on an A3.

I seen pictures of the AK 47 TDI X47 5 rail system. It uses a top rail that extends back about as far as the PG, although its beefed up on the sides a bit. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=316532&page=1

Oh yea, The Halo rail looks tough! :killer:

Edited by cscharlie