newby wanting a shotgun

Hello all,I just found this fourm today and had a question.Ive been wanting a self defence shotgun for sometime now and was thinking about buying a mossberg or remington ultil I found these saiga's.My guestion is on the front page of saiga-12.com these are 2 different shotguns showed,I really liked the one with the pistol grip.Is this one LE only or can us regular people buy it?If we can what is its model number and where is a good place to check around on the net for prices?Ive been to gunsamerica and gunbroker but they didnt have the one im interested in.Thanks in advance.

Edited to add "not only do I shoot slow, but I got out typed by GOB" :cryss:

Welcome to the forum.

Adding a pistol grip to a semi auto shotgun that already has a detachable mag makes it an assault weapon, and therefor banned until Sept, 13th 2004.

Afterwards, it's a little more dicey. It's been discussed numerous times on the boards, but I'm not sure anyone has conclusively proven it to me (stems from my own ignorance I'm sure).

The gist of the arguement is this. The 1989 ban for importation of firearms would come into play (often called 922). This will require that you replace parts of your RUSSIAN made shotty with some US made parts, to get to the required parts count. In plain terms, you'll need to think about doing this

A. Wait till Sept

B. plan on moving the trigger back to it's rightful place so that you can reach it from the pistol grip.

C.Replace some number of parts (I don't remember the number). Examples of candidates would be the trigger group, stock (might as well get a folder), gas piston, etc.

Sounds like a bunch of work, but I'm thinking along these lines! No one job will be that hard.

This is my take on things, please don't accept it as fact as I'm easily confused on some of these points.

To the group....

Does anyone know of makers of US replacement parts that will work on our shotguns. I know there are plenty of vendors for the rifles, but I don't know what will work on both, or who might sell shotgun parts (probably none out there yet as the ban has yet to sunset, so since Saiga made after 1994 no prebans to dress up)

Also, Who's going to be the man and start making US made Mags for our babys? IIRC , that counts as 3 US parts (mag body, base plate and follower?). Be nice to have a supply of 8 or 10 rounders that go for less than 1/2 of the cost of the whole gun, unlike today's prices!!! Creating a US made folding stock would be pretty cool too!

Best of luck in all of your shooting!

Edited by kmoore

All of that confuse's me to death.All that evil feature stuff,so the laws on shot guns are different than rifles right?What I mean is that my AR15 has the detachable mag and pistol grip and so do AK's.I guess "they" think that a shotgun with a pistol grip and detach mag is worse.O well thanks guys for clearing that up for me.Boy I tell ya I was going to jump all over that one with the pistol grip,DAMN democrates.Ok so what do you guys think of the other one on the front page.Sorry I dont know the model numbers,I am completely new to the saiga shot guns.Tell me all you guys know,I really like the way they look.

the gun you are talking about is a Saiga-12C..untill the ban sunset it is a LE only gun..but i expect that it will become available to the rest of us after sept 2004...there are several companies that do the pistol grip conversions on Saiga rifles and i would expect that they will be converting the shotguns after sept as well..there are also several companies that sell US made parts , in case you would like to do the work yourself...take a look around in the forum , you will find some of them mentioned there and some opinions of their work...luckily the Saigas use basically the same parts as AK's , so if you look for AK parts they will most likely fit(fire controll group , stocks , pistol grips will fit , but handguards will not )..the laws state that you will need to have no more than 10 foreign made parts out of a specific list of parts , that list can be found at several of the parts companies sites..heres one to start with..

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

your best bet to get alot of good info on these guns is to take some time and read thru the threads on this forum , we have a good bunch of guys here with a variety of knowledge and experiance , answers to most of your questions can probably be found there if you dig a little....

welcome to the forum , its always nice to see a new name pop up , if you end up buying a Saiga im sure you wont be dissapointed...

in sept it (the AWB) will be renewed. we have no people with backbone in congress anymore. forget about it. its as good as passed. they are scared. I think bin hiding is getting to them, the wusses.

the laws on shotguns were among the FIRST gun laws. (along with machine gun laws). they go over the shotgun laws once in a while and make them even less tolerant every so often....we are due for a doosey I think.

dont think...BUY the shotgun saigas...they MIGHT go away for good soon if the legislature goes through in more states....Ive sold a few saiga's (well, took people to buy them) recently to people that dont normally DO the gun thing. The shotguns are that good. nothing like them out there. you cant go wrong buying one.

Edited by Bvamp

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.

Almost no way concievable that the ban can be renewed before it expires. Pretty much a sure thing that there will be a banless time starting Sept 14th. I wouldn't argue that a new one could be on the horizon, and who knows what it will contain. Also, if they'll be able to grandfather in our current arsenals.

But I don't know if we'll see the 12-C available to us. It would have to be converted with a bunch of US made parts?

Time will tell.

You can follow my lead :blues: Bought one in 12ga recently, and fully plan to sell it and take a bath on it if the 12C does become available :eek: