Hi-capacity mags

I just sent an e-mail to Brownells suggesting that they work with one of their suppliers to make a hi-capacity Saiga .308 magazine available.

I suggested that they set-up an item number for taking pre-paid orders for the mags and that the stipulation be set that a minimum quantity be attained before the mags would be produced.

This is a good idea IMHO. I pointed out to them that this way, they would need no capital at risk and that people would feel confident that they would provide a quality product.

I'm thinking that they should contract the concern that is producing their AR-15 govt. spec mags. A good quality aluminum Saiga 20 rounder would be awsome IMHO.

Hope they consider it!

I think there's problems with big brother about the larger saiga mags. I believe if the saiga's had larger mags when imported we would not see them imported here. There was a guy who was interested in making larger mags for the saiga that was all of a sudden squashed for some reason he couldn't deliver. I'm pretty much happy the way my saiga is in its orginal condition i'm just happy to have my saiga( brand new russian ak in a sporter wrapper). I do not think that big brother will allow larger mags for the saiga's to be manufactured. Its just my opinion and gut feeling. I also think if too many waves are made about it someone just may get a call.

I think there's problems with big brother about the larger saiga mags. I believe if the saiga's had larger mags when imported we would not see them imported here. There was a guy who was interested in making larger mags for the saiga that was all of a sudden squashed for some reason he couldn't deliver. I'm pretty much happy the way my saiga is in its orginal condition i'm just happy to have my saiga( brand new russian ak in a sporter wrapper). I do not think that big brother will allow larger mags for the saiga's to be manufactured. Its just my opinion and gut feeling. I also think if too many waves are made about it someone just may get a call.

Why?

This is not illegal. "Big Brother" can't do shit unless it is illegal. The government must follow the law.

Why would the Saiga be any different than any other rifle that accepts detachable mags?

Why?

This is not illegal. "Big Brother" can't do shit unless it is illegal. The government must follow the law.

Why would the Saiga be any different than any other rifle that accepts detachable mags?

I think in that it is imported, there can be alot of gamemanship concerning importation regulations & requirements.

I suspect importation can probably be easily terminated without much sweat.

So, the possibility of readily available hi-caps is a bit spooky.

Lollygagger :unsure:

I just contacted RAAC about not seeing the 308 saiga sporter with synthetic stock pictured on the website and they said the saiga 308 sporter is no longer on the import list so its discontinued now. It looks to me they sold all the ones that were already still marked EAA and had it milled off then discontinued them here. I wonder what caused this to happen?

So the saiga import can stop again at anytime.

that'd be an expensive mag, wouldnt it? aluminum isnt cheap, and milling takes machine time.

might be cheaper to glue factory mags together.

and i'd be a bit worried about the feed lips wearing just as quickly as polymer.

of course i could be wrong, happens all the time :unsure:

Well, I got a reply from Brownell's. Here it is:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the .308 AK mags and for thinking

of Brownells. For the balance of this year we will be occupied with our

government contract and other mag development. In the future, we have a

number of projects lined up for both government customers as well as the

civilian market. For the AK mags to take flight would require on-going

demand to cover not only developmental and tooling costs, but multiple

markets - things you recognize. I have not analyzed the market share for

this variant of the AK family but suspect the popularity is gaining.

Thanks again and wishing you a great year!

John

John Feeley CPIM, CPM

General Manager

Brownells Mfg."

So, need to look elsewhere I guess... at least they got right back to me!

Asked if they could suggest any other manufacturers that may be interested - here is the reply:

"> I know several mag manufacturers but in good faith cannot recommend them

> -- that is why we began producing our own. Cheap AK and AR mags are

> everywhere, and the quality is even lower than the price, as you know.

>

> The challenge is going to be tooling cost payback. To make these mags

> correctly and most cost effectively will require a progressive die --

> something in the range of 10-12 stages and a cost anywhere from $50K and

> up. That's for the body. The floor plate will require a second

> progressive and that will run another $30K or so. This doesn't count

> blueprint work, PPAP, and all the secondary processes such as weld, heat

> treat, coating, etc. You can find the spring but if you cannot locate a

> decent follower, the injection mold tool for a 4-cavity tool will run

> $22K and up. The investment will surpass $100K in the first few months

> and likely be closer to $200K in tooling, material, labor, and overhead

> before you see products.

>

> Not trying to talk you out of it -- just reality. I realize you know

> this and that's why you want to find someone already in this line of

> manufacturing. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance but to do the job

> right and have a product you would be proud to see will require this

> investment. If I knew Brownells Mfg. could have sales of 300K to 400K

> units a year on this product, we would be interested -- but it would

> take those kind of numbers, Jac. From us, you would have a mag that

> would be the best in the world -- period.

>

> Have a super day.

>

> John Feeley CPIM, CPM

> General Manager

> Brownells Mfg."

So, the investment in tooling up is quite a bit higher than I expected. I guess we'll have to wait until more .308's are imported...

Someone try Pro-mag

I just sent an e-mail to Brownells suggesting that they work with one of their suppliers to make a hi-capacity Saiga .308 magazine available.

I suggested that they set-up an item number for taking pre-paid orders for the mags and that the stipulation be set that a minimum quantity be attained before the mags would be produced.

This is a good idea IMHO. I pointed out to them that this way, they would need no capital at risk and that people would feel confident that they would provide a quality product.

I'm thinking that they should contract the concern that is producing their AR-15 govt. spec mags. A good quality aluminum Saiga 20 rounder would be awsome IMHO.

Hope they consider it!

Thanks for trying.

What happened to this?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/lofiversion/index.php/t2988.html

So due to tooling/development costs that outweigh the market, the S-.308 mags are now, and will for the forseeable future, be made of....

UNOBTANIUM.

G O B

John is a bit high (but not much) on his mold pricing, but then again they are tooling up for making several thousand mags. This is not the regular AK or AR market, it is less than half the size of the FAL market. Sales of the 308 guns comprise less 1/8th of the Saiga market over all. That aint much. Anyone ging into the hi-cap mag business needs to sell about 6 mags to every 308 that RAAC has brought in to even break even. (That figure is based on their own numbers)

So why would a large company that does millions of dollars invest that kind of money into something that will not give a large return but they hope will at least break even?

Just food for thought.