Hi-capacity mags

Well, I've been looking into this pretty thoroughly and I guess I've come to the same conclusion as many of you guys, just took me longer and had to "see for myself" - you can't blame me, I was raised in Missouri ;)

So, I guess there ain't gonna be no high capacity mags for my .308 carbine.... guess I'll just have to sell it off to some gullible buyer on gunbroker....

JUST KIDDING!!! :eek:

I'm not defeated yet! I'm going to work on the G-2, FAL or M-14 based conversions. I see where people are successful with these and I think I can do it too.

YEEEEHAWW - I just got a phone call from my dealer - my Saiga is in at his shop! Gotta go!

I have a possible solution, but I want to test it before I break the news. Not done with it yet.

Sorry for the tease.

No you're not or you wouldn't have posted it ;)

I'm interested - sign me up!

I got my rifle this afternoon and was able to shoot a few mags of some Hirtenberger through it - was shooting quite low, but screwed the front sight down and got the groups up to point of aim - she was shooting 2" groups with ease - open sights. That's fantastic!

But I still need hi-cap mags, so I'm seriously looking forward to your next post about this.

I have a possible solution, but I want to test it before I break the news. Not done with it yet.

Sorry for the tease.

No you're not or you wouldn't have posted it ;)

I'm interested - sign me up!

I got my rifle this afternoon and was able to shoot a few mags of some Hirtenberger through it - was shooting quite low, but screwed the front sight down and got the groups up to point of aim - she was shooting 2" groups with ease - open sights. That's fantastic!

But I still need hi-cap mags, so I'm seriously looking forward to your next post about this.

Well do not modify your rifle,keep it the same.If Atlantic Firearms gets a working mag for the S-308 you won't be able to use them.Now my Vepr is the tits,it takes unmodified M14 mags.

Well do not modify your rifle,keep it the same.If Atlantic Firearms gets a working mag for the S-308 you won't be able to use them.Now my Vepr is the tits,it takes unmodified M14 mags.

Dont' modify my rifle but your modified rifle is great? So, which is it? :)

Did you mean to say that you wouldn't have modified your rifle if you knew that hi cap mags were coming, but you are happy with it anyway?

Why would I not want to mod my gun if it works good? Or is that iffy? :unsure:

Dont' modify my rifle but your modified rifle is great? So, which is it? :)

Did you mean to say that you wouldn't have modified your rifle if you knew that hi cap mags were coming, but you are happy with it anyway?

Why would I not want to mod my gun if it works good? Or is that iffy? :unsure:

Well I can see how goofy that sounded.My Saiga .308 is unmodified I use stock mags for it.I would keep it factory just in case Atlantic Firearms makes a 20rd mag for the S-308.I just hope this is not another one of those we are working on it ideas that never comes to fruition.If you change the rifle to use G3,Galil M14 mags you will most likely have to modify the rifle to fit the mags.I recalling someone using G3 mags but they were not 100% functional,and the rifle was modified so they were unable to go back.Now maybe you can come up with a way to use other mags without changing the rifle.I thought of using G3 mags as well but after getting some I knew right away I would have to change the rifle and that was not something I wanted to do.

My Vepr is a completely different animal.There are no hi cap mags for the Vepr .308 and the Vepr was modified by Krebs to take unmodified M14 mags.I think at one time Krebs did a Saiga 308 conversion to use Galil mags,but the only mags available cheaply are the 12 rd mags,25 rd mags are pricey close to 100+ per mag.I was told by Marc Krebs over the phone that there was not enough material in the trunnion to convert them to M14 mags.

Some will tell you if you want a Hi-cap .308 buy yourself a Cetme/G3,M1A,FAL etc,but I'm not one of them do what you want with your rifle as you please.I'm only suggesting you throughly research your options,call or email some reputable Saiga experts before chopping your rifle up.

Are you planning on converting to pistol grip yourself?Are you going to rivet the trigger guard or use screws?I ask you these questions because I would like to do the same to my 22" S-308 and was thinking of a conversion party would be in order for the local Central Texas Saiga crowd.I want my Trigger guard riveted instead of using screws.I think this would be better for the resale of the rifle in the long run.I have no plans of selling my S-308.

I'm also planning on a 24MM FSB with lug to go all out evil.

OK, I see now - and no, I don't want to modify my rifle - I was thinking of using modified mags.

I already did the pg conversion! (see post with pics) - I used rivets for the trigger guard and had to bend it together quite a bit to get it to fit correctly - easy to do though. In fact, the whole thing was quite easy and took less than an hour total. Used the Duplicolor hi-temp black paint to finish the bottom - baked for 2 hours and it looks perfect!

Screws would be fine for the trigger guard too - I just happen to have extra rivets and stuff from building, so used them.