Well, I called the people that were selling the rifle and asked them what the heck it was going to be - their auction was quite confusing. At the time that I bid on it, I didn't realize that the 16" carbines were available and the description indicated 22" but refered to added pics showing a carbine with a mag inserted. They had another previous pic of the 22" rifle with no mag and indicated that "its the rifle in the 2nd and 3rd pics" which were of the carbine w/mag.

Any hoo , I called them and asked which it really was - they said, yeah, its the carbine.

Go to pick up the rifle today and its the long barrel.

Whatever - I like it.

I took it out to shoot this afternoon and got 2", 100 yard groups (8 shots) with Hertenberger surplus (berdan primed) - which is excellent. My Fal doens't really like this ammo - likes the boxer primed Herty much better, so I can shoot the berdan primed stuff in my Saiga.

I'm going to do the pg conversion this weekend - was interesting to see that these don't have the two rear pins, so the conversion will be easier. :)

Have a power custom fcg (the Vepr .308 kit) and K-Var buttstock and pg to install. To start with... ;)

Thanks to everybody that replied to my many questions.

I'll post pics as I progress.

Well, I kinda wanted a carbine - but the way it shoots, how can I bitch? I mean, 2", 8-round groups (milsurp ammo) at 100 yards with issue sights? What will it do with my POSP and taylored handloads :eek:

I see the 22 and 16" versions as two different rifles- one is carbine and the other is a "sniper" type rifle.

Well, I kinda wanted a carbine - but the way it shoots, how can I bitch? I mean, 2", 8-round groups (milsurp ammo) at 100 yards with issue sights? What will it do with my POSP and taylored handloads :eek:

I see the 22 and 16" versions as two different rifles- one is carbine and the other is a "sniper" type rifle.

The .308 prefers a long barrel--

YAHOO !!!!............. got my 308 today, it too has the 22" barrell...model #139 8rd....man, these are lighter than expected. i got it thru RSR in Fla (in Stock) i have had a 223 on order since mid april....I got a little nervous when another member posted that the sportsters will no longer be imported. I hope my 223 order gets filled. well, i will stop by wallyworld to get some ammo for this weekends baptism. I will then order some of that s african ammo from aimsurplus :killer::killer::killer::killer::killer:

I inquired at raac about the 308 saiga sporters with synthetic stocks not on there website pictured anymore and whats up with that. RAAC emailed me back saying the 308 saiga sporter is no longer on the import list.

Right now they do show the wood stock sporter in 308 and the model 100 in 308 too. I don't think there is anything going on with the saiga sporter's in .223rem yet as we speak but down the road things could change too. Now my gut feeling is get what saiga's you want now so your sure to have them. I did this when i shot my very first saiga and soon after the import stopped. I'm not taking any chances with this great gun and history tells us that already what can happen at anytime. Like i said before the russian izhmash saiga's are the hottest thing to hit our shores since the very first chinese norinco sks's did in the late 80's. The saiga in 223 is my very first rifle in 223 too and its the affordable price tag thats hard to pass up and thats the reason i wanted one even though i was never too fond of the 223 round but i couldn't pass up a saiga in 223 its a fun round to shoot too and i'm glad i waited for the saiga to come along to buy one too.

I inquired at raac about the 308 saiga sporters with synthetic stocks not on there website pictured anymore and whats up with that. RAAC emailed me back saying the 308 saiga sporter is no longer on the import list.

Right now they do show the wood stock sporter in 308 and the model 100 in 308 too. I don't think there is anything going on with the saiga sporter's in .223rem yet as we speak but down the road things could change too. Now my gut feeling is get what saiga's you want now so your sure to have them. I did this when i shot my very first saiga and soon after the import stopped. I'm not taking any chances with this great gun and history tells us that already what can happen at anytime. Like i said before the russian izhmash saiga's are the hottest thing to hit our shores since the very first chinese norinco sks's did in the late 80's. The saiga in 223 is my very first rifle in 223 too and its the affordable price tag thats hard to pass up and thats the reason i wanted one even though i was never too fond of the 223 round but i couldn't pass up a saiga in 223 its a fun round to shoot too and i'm glad i waited for the saiga to come along to buy one too.

If I had to bet real money on something... At first I thought it might be the Imperial United States Federal Government of all Known Reality and Creation or Whatever You Believe. However, after a cooler head and rational thinking, they very well might be letting things dry up then re-price and being importing again. I could see the price raising 30%, and then imports starting up again.

Just a thought.... I hope the Saiga doesn't just shrivel up and blow away...