Atlantic Arms asking for input on producing mags for the .308

I don't know any more than what is at the link below. Someone claiming to be Atlantic Arms is asking for input on producing mags for the S-12, and the .308.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=86037

he isnt claiming to be atlantic firearms. he most certinaly IS. they are an industry partner of ar15.com and they have there own forum there. atlantic firearms also offers discounts to all ar15.com members. everyone go post that you want some .308 mags!

I have contacted Atlantic, and recommended that they post HERE... They seemed very positive to do that, so hopefully they will be on our own forum, and we can have info straight from the source.

:smoke:

Guys thanks for all the input so far on the mags, here is the scoop , we are distributors for RAAC and have long known that the Saiga line is great but limited by the lack of hi cap mags for the 12 & .308 units. We are currently in the R & D phase of looking at the Saiga 12 in a 8 -10 round mag and the .308 in a 20 round mag.We feel if this can be brought to market with a reasonable price and decent quality it would open up a larger market for the Saiga line. We are not offering any promises etc but we are seriously persuing this project, our plan is to market a all metal mag, initally we will do a small production run and distrubute a few free mags to select individuals for their independednt field testing and review. We will not market the mags until we feel comfortable in their quality and relaibality. Please feel free to offer any suggestions and we will be glad to keep you informed as we progress along with this porject. Thank You Blaine Bunting / Atlantic Firearms.com My Webpage atlanticfirearm@aol.com

Guys thanks for all the input so far on the mags, here is the scoop , we are distributors for RAAC and have long known that the Saiga line is great but limited by the lack of hi cap mags for the 12 & .308 units. We are currently in the R & D phase of looking at the Saiga 12 in a 8 -10 round mag and the .308 in a 20 round mag.We feel if this can be brought to market with a reasonable price and decent quality it would open up a larger market for the Saiga line. We are not offering any promises etc but we are seriously persuing this project, our plan is to market a all metal mag, initally we will do a small production run and distrubute a few free mags to select individuals for their independednt field testing and review. We will not market the mags until we feel comfortable in their quality and relaibality. Please feel free to offer any suggestions and we will be glad to keep you informed as we progress along with this porject. Thank You Blaine Bunting / Atlantic Firearms.com My Webpage atlanticfirearm@aol.com

I will be glad to help you generate interest in this product. I am a USPSA member and the Siaga 12 is making a big impact on our three gun matches. As a suggestion, 10 rnds for the Siaga 12 would be better for the USPSA market since it would fit our division requirements better. 20 rnds for the 308 would fit our heavy metal class but 30 rnds would produce more of a market by covering more classes. E-mail me at darknessdawning@yahoo.com and I will help get you in touch with the right people within USPSA, an ad in our front sight magazine would be a good idea. Also if anyone in USPSA gets free magazines make sure that they right an article for Front Sight magazine about your product.

I'd definitely be very interested in buying a few of these mags, if and when they're released. Pretty much the only issue I have with my wonderful rifle is the low capacity magazines.

If the mags are available. I would buy at least two S-12 and at least one .308 mag.

I personally would purchase 7.

Any thoughts on taking pre-orders when you get close to production and know the final details/pricing? I would be game for that - take a cc number and then charge-off when shipped?

We have posts here that generated almost 1,000 "sales" - and that is just the folks that read the thread.

This is great news!

I personally would purchase 7.

Any thoughts on taking pre-orders when you get close to production and know the final details/pricing? I would be game for that - take a cc number and then charge-off when shipped?

We have posts here that generated almost 1,000 "sales" - and that is just the folks that read the thread.

This is great news!

We are not interested in getting into the pre order trap, hundreds of people place orders but when everything is ready to ship half of the customers do not follow thorough, we will not begin to take orders until we have field tested the mags and have them ready to ship. We appreciated the ideas and the enthusiasm but so many company's promise projects like this and never deliver , we do not want to be part of the group. We hope to have more news in a few weeks on our plans. Thank You Atlantic Firearms,llc

We are not interested in getting into the pre order trap, hundreds of people place orders but when everything is ready to ship half of the customers do not follow thorough, we will not begin to take orders until we have field tested the mags and have them ready to ship. We

+1 on that. And considering how many 308 guns have been imported, those that do buy have to buy a bunch of them just for the manufacturer to break even.

Let's not start piling on about how many we'd buy ok. Sounds like they're serious, so we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, like Atlantic said, when it comes time to actually buy them, 1 in 5 come thru. And in something like this the manufacturer stands to loose 10's of thousands for the effort.

Regarding pre-orders, I understand what you are saying.

If I order something and provide my cc number, then I expect that the items will be shipped and my card charged. Otherwise, why place the order?

I can see 100% where you're coming from if people just "pledge" to order for sure. If you have their cc number and everything they still back out or return the product 5 to 1? That's a shame... and you can't be faulted for not wanting to engage in that. And frankly, I think that stinks that people would do that. Cancel the order before shipping, OK, but not after unless the product is crap or something.

The way I see this is that 1) there is an existing market for X number of mags and 2) that if there were hi cap mags available, then the .308 rifles would begin selling at a much much higher rate.

There is always a risk, all that you can do is evaluate the market, get your break-even figured with surety and then make a decision on wether or not it's worth it. And even if you win and have a hedge on the market, others will eventually enter the fray if the money is there... the best scenario would be that the return on the investment is good but not so good as to attract new products.

As to the feedback on the mags - I would want a stretch version of the existing Saiga mag - a clone with the middle stretched to allow for 20 rounds. Steel, aluminium, high-impact poly, I don't care as long as they are quality.

I am going to put the KAIBOSH on all this " I want such and such" right now...

If I see any posts that say ANYTHING REGARDING " I want X number of mags" REGARDLESS OF WHAT ELSE YOU HAVE TO SAY... I will DELETE IT! :up:

The few that are already posted can stay... but all future replies to this thread... lets keep it in the proper relevance. If you want to let atlantic know they will sell a lot of mags... I think that its obvious... I have steered them to, and they have seen the "daewoo" threads... they can count!

They KNOW there is a market for their product!!!

Lets not bog it down with " I want " Bullsh!t!

Thanks! :up:

:smoke:

I have three 8-Round S-12 Mag Followers and Springs that are of no real use to me as anything other than spare parts I will probably never need. I will gladly give you one or all three even if it helps you through the R & D phase. Please let me know if you can use them or not. The stock spring is extremely over-powered and would be more than adequate for use in a 10-Round Mag.

Edited by DaGroaner

Atlantic Firearms:

Thank you for coming to our forum and and expressing your intrest in developing mags for our favorite toys. It is refreshing to hear from a reputable manufacturer, who is willing to come to our "house" and speak frankly. Wether this project can be brought to market or is found to be econimacly unfeasable, your honesty and candor are appreciated. I wish you good luck in your endevor, and welcome you to our forum.

G O B

PvtPyle, can you still get the 8 rounders for the Saiga .308? If so, how much? I bought 3 before and untill a hi cap mag. (20 rd) is made and sold I will just buy the 8 rounders. Thank you

I just ordered 3 8 rounders for the .308, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

This topic sounds good, I am certainly going to write Atlantic Arms with some support .

The 20 round mags sound great, but to be honest, a 15 round mag would be more matched to the lines of the rifle, and not seem like an blocky piece of metal.

It all depends upon the shape of the magazines, i suppose.

I think a 12rd 308 mag would be perfect and it won't affect the balance of the rifle too much. I think the added weight of a 20rd mag on the 308 saiga 16" barrel just won't feel right. The gun becomes a boat anchor I been there before with the 25rd mag on the 8mm hakim the larger mag sucks and it sits in the box never to be used again. It proves sometimes what we wish for we may not want.

Most of us were there before with the promises of the other guy on the larger mags so i'm not going to get all excieted about it right now, time will tell.

We will initially focus on the 20 round .308 AK mag to compete with the FAL & HK G3 20 round mag standard, if these are successfull there should be no problem offering a 12 or 15 round mag. Again we are in the early stages of R&D and market reserch on the viability of the project and are not offering any promises but are very serious about bringing Saiga .308 and 12 guage mags to the market . Thank You Atlantic Firearms,llc

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ May 14 2006, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlantic Firearms:

Thank you for coming to our forum and and expressing your intrest in developing mags for our favorite toys. It is refreshing to hear from a reputable manufacturer, who is willing to come to our "house" and speak frankly. Wether this project can be brought to market or is found to be econimacly unfeasable, your honesty and candor are appreciated. I wish you good luck in your endevor, and welcome you to our forum.

G O B

Not to mention from our own state. :super:

Howzabout a discount for MDers like GOB and I?

I'm going to wait and see how this pans out.Tapco was supposed to working on an 8 and 10 rd mag for the S-12 and they have said nothing as of late about the R&D.Either they gave up or are just keeping a lid on the development.After the Daewoo fiasco and the so called 10 rd mags for the S-12,I do not put any faith into these threads.Until I see a hard product I will remain skeptical.It is good to see that Atlantic Firearms is looking into this,but for now it is only R&D.