5rd mag to 6rd mag "conversion??

Yes, I am interested in this, too.

I guess if you cut the follower down a tad, it won't effect the reliability of the magazine. And the extra round should not make a difference when it comes to spring tension, etc....

FYI..........I cut the four corners of the bottom of the follower off about 1/4" and I cut the two tips of the spring guide (down by the baseplate?) by about 1/4" just to experimant and I can get about 5.5 rds in now. :D

I hate to wreck a $35 mag though..........should I cut MORE?? Anyone else??

Um, you could always have a round already loaded into the chamber when inserting the five round magazine if you really must have six shots. :unsure:

I wouldn't trust myself in not grabbing my "experimental" magazine by mistake if I have to go into condition red once with only having the Saiga-12 close by at the time. :eek:

Edited by Gaddis

Well, never to be one NOT t too try something new....Just bought 3 new 5 rounders from the UTAH guys... good sevice, fair price. Sooo.. I decided to "wack" one too 6 rounds... Your going to need to cut both pieces... the follower and the guide plate (top & bottom,about 1/4 "). I didn't get anywhere until I noticed that it's best to follow the "factory" contours..... that is, keep a "V" notch in the bottom of the follower, so that the bottom guide-plate can sit/fit into the top follower, other wise you are cutting off more than you need. mikeNM P.S. one day we will have ????? 10 ROUND MAGS???????

Edited by mikeNM

So with a properly functioning 6 rounder you could have SEVEN rds in the weapon without having that HUMONGOUS 8 or 10 round thing hanging out. The key IS reliablity. Anyone do it and have it work first time, every time?????

Makes sense the more I play with it. I think it will either have to be 8 or 10 rounders or some modified floorplate. Just gonna have to make another one of these with some kind of deeper pocket, maybe 1/2" or so?? saiga12magfloorplate.jpg

Thanks all! :D

Edited by tomovich
I searched on follower, there's a lot of posts that come up.

But somewhere back in history this WAS discussed.

Here's one thread with mixed (some negative) results.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5221

Been there done that. The less you cut the better for reliability. ...In 8 and 5 rounders. Gone all the way to 3/4" high follower and last roud angles far too much. One could solve this problem by using long cartridge as last round to prevent failure to feed. ;)

Floorplate can have max. 2 round deep pocket since rails for shell rim ends up otherwise. And what does that mean? Nasty feed failures... :cryss:

-JumiKuula

Well, never to be one NOT t too try something new....Just bought 3 new 5 rounders from the UTAH guys... good sevice, fair price. Sooo.. I decided to "wack" one too 6 rounds... Your going to need to cut both pieces... the follower and the guide plate (top & bottom,about 1/4 "). I didn't get anywhere until I noticed that it's best to follow the "factory" contours..... that is, keep a "V" notch in the bottom of the follower, so that the bottom guide-plate can sit/fit into the top follower, other wise you are cutting off more than you need. mikeNM P.S. one day we will have ????? 10 ROUND MAGS???????

Hey, guys: Here's the problem with 5 to 6 and 8 to 9 mag conversions: I find it useful for the left mag in a clamped mag situation when swapping mags in the heat of shotty, or 3gun battle, but, as far as starting out. . .you can (1) put one in the pipe and 5/8 in the right mag, OR (2) start out with 6/9 in the right mag, but with a mandatory bolt lock back (which may present a problem for our BHO deprived bretheren). I usually do the latter, but it depends on the club/range starting rules (cold chamber or not).

Remember that when you have the 6/9 setup in the right mag, it's not like you can ALSO put one in the pipe. It won't seat. Too much ammo in the mag to go to lockup on a CLOSED BOLT. So, you need to ask yourself what your club/range rules are before modding expensive mags in any way. 5/8 + 1, or 6/9 with the bolt locked back= same-same.

Edited by inparidel