Sagaia .223 ejection problem!

HI all you shooters and gun nuts! :cryss:

I just bought a Saiga .223 last saturday at a gun show in Toledo ohio. Today was the first time i fired it and i have a question. this rifle makes a groove midway across the case when it is ejected. Is this normal for a saiga rifle?

what is causing this?I have a mak- 90 .yugo sks and this does not happen with these war rifles.

I donot reload any but it kind of seems a waste of brass!

can any of you experts give me any andvice? thanks

Dave from Lima Ohio

First of all, WELCOME to the forum Dave!

As for your question,

I notice the same thing with my x39. I believe the dent in the side of the shell casing comes from the shell hitting the rec. cover while it is being ejected. I dont know for sure that ALL saigas do this, but most do.

hope this helps

HOOP

Actually... YES... it is common... Mine do it all the time, and it really is irritating... as I DO try to reload my 223 brass... ( although not for the Saiga... )

I also do not believe that it is from hitting the dust cover (Receiver cover)... Instead, It is hitting on the inside... very similar to what happens to brass from my PSL... I actually went out and bought brass, bullets, dies, primers, etc..etc..etc... to reload the 7.62X54R casings... to try to squeeze more accuracy out of my PSL... and every case that gets spit out is completely worthless... They scrape along the inside edge of the guide rails, where there is a little ear that sticks out into the receiver a little further... the pressure from being in the bolt, as the extractor is trying to force it out at an angle, it rides along that ear before being flung out to the side... INSTANT GROOVE in the edge of the casing...

I feel your pain, bro... Sorry... no fixin it...

:smoke:

I was thinking that any answers would be as such , but i thank you both for sharing you knowledge!I havenot tried any steel wolf in it yet ,but who would try to reload steel cases?

lol Not I for sure!

where is the best place to get 10 rd. or larger mags. for the .223 Saigas?

thanks again to all!

Edited by limaguppy
  • 3 weeks later...

I also just linked this thread in the X39 section as we are also discussing it there too... mind you these are X39 casings... but the dents/dings are very similar...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7303

Also note the case mouth swell difference between old style saigas and newer saigas.... :up:

Enjoy!

:smoke: