new-to-me AK-101 (.223 Saiga conversion)

I took delivery of my AK-101 (converted .223 Saiga) yesterday. Gotta say, this rifle is *sweet*. It's one of a small number of conversions that Arsenal USA (now Global Trades/Armory USA) did on a commercial basis several years ago. Quality is very good; much better than the DIY garage conversions I've seen (and done!). In addition to having the trigger relocated and the old pin holes welded up, the gun also had a complete AK front end (front sight, gas block, gas tube & handguards) installed and an AK-74 style comp tack-welded to the FSB (these were built during the ban). Curiously, although the correct 90-degree AK-74 gas block was used, the gas tube itself is the vented AK-47 type rather than the unvented AKM / AK-74 style. The gas tube has a bit of "slop" to it, perhaps for that reason. But that's an aesthetic, rather than a functional, issue - and a minor one at that. Finish is a dark gray parkerizing; very durable.

The gun came with 10 polymer Galil 35-round magazines that had been modified to fit by sanding down the front two vertical ribs at the top. The mags lock in like they were made for the gun, with little to no lateral play. I hand-cycled a bunch of rounds through without any problems. One of the things that drew me to this particular gun was its versatility - in addition to the Galil mags (which can be found at CDNN for $5.00 apiece used or $10.00 apiece new), this gun will also accept AK-74 mags with the Robarms .223 follower installed, as well as the Bulgarian waffle-type .223 magazines. Heck, I even got it to feed .223 out of *unconverted* AK-74 mags, but I wouldn't resort to that in anything but an emergency situation.

The only change I've made thus far is to remove the Saiga manual BHO lever (it had been left in after the conversion); I find they just get in the way on converted guns, and on the rifles they don't lock the bolt back far enough to facilitate loading (more just for inspection and cleaning). The gun came with a set of US-made OD green furniture, which I probably won't keep for long. The stock is the 1.5" longer "NATO length" from K-VAR; I plan to swap it out with something shorter, and I'll probably end up putting on an Ultimak gas tube rail so I can mount a red dot up front.

Anyway here are some pics:

ak101_right.jpg

ak101_left.jpg

And a family portrait:

kalashnikov_family.jpg

Edited by shooter2
I have some clear ones already converted for sale in 20 and 30 rd if you'r'e interested.

Converted? We don't need no *steenking* converted! :lol:

saiga_waffle.jpg

Like I said, what really drew me to this gun is its versatility. It will run the Bulgarian 5.56 waffles with no modifications, in addition to the modified Galil Orlites and AK-74 mags with the Robarms .223 follower installed.