5.56 drums....

So, if someone were to make a feed tower that would go on a beta mag and fit an unconverted (or converted) 5.56 saiga or Vepr, would that be of interest to you guys?

Don't bother with the "I'll take two." answers, a simple yes or no will do.

WOW... so far I am the only one that said "Why bother"

Hell... .223 is expensive enough without having to blow it off 50/75/100 rounds at a whack...

At $3.00 for 20 rounds of wolf... a 100 rd drum would cost $15.00 to fill, and you could empty it in about 3 seconds if you really got wild.... I dunno... that just seems too pricey for my blood... especially to plink/blast away with...

But hey... thats just me... I would rather save my money to buy MORE GUNS... LOL :up::lol:

:smoke:

If I had a Mini-14, an AR-15 (or gun that uses its mags), and a Saiga-223 and a mag tower for each, I could use one beta-c mag for all three. With Wolf ammo for X39 going up in price, I see 223 being a more affordable option. That's said with the understanding that I have a line on nearly 2k rounds of 223 for probably $200ish from friends looking to offload. I realize it would go fast in a C-mag, but still, having the firepower available for use in three different packages is not a bad proposition.

Note also that the C-mag would (unless I'm gravely mistaken) count as 3 US parts. Get a US made stock set and you're good to go on an unconverted Saiga. Though I'd have to say that for that kind of firepower I'd sure convert in order to have the better trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

I think when you start talking about beta mags and ammo cost, they are not in the same world to the folks who use the betas(and I have caught flack over owning too many firearms, imagine the cost of ammo). I guess its like if you own a full hummer, why would the cost of gas bother you at all even at five or six bucks a gallon.

People have spoken for this in 308, but a C-mag in 308 is not yet released, which would have to happen in order to have a S-308 tower for it.

The thing with the C-mags is that they take different feed towers for different guns. You can get one C-mag, and get a different tower for your AR, Mini-14, Sig-550, Steyr AUG, and such. PvtPyle is suggesting just a tower to fit the standard 223 C-mag, and I think it's a great idea. Might be worth having a second S-223 after I bullpup and AR-mag-ify my current one.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • 4 weeks later...
People have spoken for this in 308, but a C-mag in 308 is not yet released, which would have to happen in order to have a S-308 tower for it.

The thing with the C-mags is that they take different feed towers for different guns. You can get one C-mag, and get a different tower for your AR, Mini-14, Sig-550, Steyr AUG, and such. PvtPyle is suggesting just a tower to fit the standard 223 C-mag, and I think it's a great idea. Might be worth having a second S-223 after I bullpup and AR-mag-ify my current one.

If Beta mag gets the M1A mag out,I'm set with my Vepr/M14 conversion.

Edited by AKTexas73

No. Reason being is my experience with the beta mags themselves has been negative. They can be fun at the range, but the design/construction seems to be poor for anything else. On another note, if a guy could offer a way to add an M16/AR15 feed tower to chineese drums there might be a market there.? Just my 2 cents.

:smoke: Personally I would rather have 75 rounder done up like the chinese drums-you can store them full and just 'wind them up when you want to go blow them off. Also good for storing for the SHTF or 'zombie' days,or whatever else comes along. :rolleyes:

I would also like a similar drum made for my FN/STG58/S308-1. I have tried the betamags and my experience is mixed.

I guess I am a ''yes' though

Converted w/ feed ramp, YES.

Unconverted using modified AK mags... not really.

From a market look -

Most people convert to use standard 223 mags; it's much cheaper in the long run.

Also, there are a number of other manufacturer hi-cap 223 AKs out there that could buy them too.

I've been holding off making one myself out of a Weiger mag... and would prefer to have a tower that fits tighter than the Weiger.

So, if someone were to make a feed tower that would go on a beta mag and fit an unconverted (or converted) 5.56 saiga or Vepr, would that be of interest to you guys?

Don't bother with the "I'll take two." answers, a simple yes or no will do.

As far as I'm concerned the Beta C-mag was made for the AK.Drums increase bolt over base stoppages and don't like fast cycling actions so the M16 is a poor candidate for a drum but the slow cyling AK is a perfect candidate for a drum.

If you made your towers just right you could cover AK74/Weiger/Bulgarian/Galil all with one tower with minor post production mods for each variation ;)

• 6 years later...

SGM Tactical has beaten you to the punch and already makes a 100 round drum magazine for Saigas. I have no idea how well it performs, but if looks could kill all the zombies would be dead.

this tread is 6 years old, you've dug up a dead thread, look at the date of the first post 23 May 2006,

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I don't know who resurrected this thread but I LOL'd at the complaint of $3.00 per box of wolf! Hahahaha. I remember those days!

it was you who resurrected this thread.

Well, someone must have voted to bring it back up. It was at the top of the .223 page when I cam here to look around.