Gun case for airport travel?

Hey guys- what is a good case to take the rifle out state and is airline approved? Need a good one as I travel extinsively. Please post a part number if possible.

RSH

Pelican 1720--extremely solid, plenty of room for scope and mags/accessories, wheeled, foam can be custom cut for precise fit. Not cheap, but worth it if you do extensive traveling.

Pelican_1720_case.jpgIMG_0304_resize.jpg

Edited by tritium

Tritium gave you excellent advice. Pelicans are top notch gear.

I have an SKB that has worked well for me on airline trips though I don't think it is the equal of the Pellican. It is, however, about half the price of a Pelican. Don

Edited by Harpoon

Passing on a tip I read somewhere-- TSA locks are available, but many people may have the key. These will make airport security easier. If you do not use TSA locks, leave extra UNLOCKED locks inside the case, just in case some TSA moron uses the "master key" and cuts your locks. Also to get a bucking funch of locks keyed alike, just grab an unoponed display box at the hardware store. All of the locks in each individual box are keyed alike.

G O B

I have to find several cases to do a one-way flight from las vegas here to NY for 3 guns that have been passed down to me from my dead grandfather.

question.

if the executor of the estate is forbidden to have a firearm, are THEY allowed to execute the delivery of the firearms by bringing them with him on the airline, if I take possession of them at the airport in new york?

or should I fly out there and go get them myself?

the other question is what do you think the chances of a german nazi marked mauser (I have no information on it, other than it is a war capture from ww2 that my grandfather had for many years) being worth so much that I have to pay a percentage on the value if it is just mailed to a dealer here in new york?

if they are flown here, I will probably take the skb route or similar cheap case, and combination padlocks with the combination on the docket that is attached to the baggage. If I ever go in search of guns again, it wont be out of state unless it is private sales and will be land driven back here, so I dont need the cases to make more than a single one-way flight, and that will probably be direct.

(by the way, tell your local gun dealer that they are fucking rude assholes to new yorkers and lost out on money because of it. further, 99% of the gunshop FFL holders Ive spoken to dont know fuck all about what the law says, but rather what you can "get away with" which is pretty shitty too... Ive hit gun shops in nearly every state in the lower 48, and Ive probably been to quite a few shops that are local to some of the members here. I can get just about anything cheaper here than from the internet anyway, so I wont be searching shops anymore like I have been because of that. yup, the gun community is suffering because of that predominant attitude, too. but thats another story, sorry off track.)

Bvamp, not trying to be bitchy but I wasn't inferring that the SKB was cheap, nothing of the sort in my opinion. I just think the Pelican is an even more rugged item. My SKB has been through the airlines several times with no apparent wear or damage. Don