Posp scope, need to change the clamp

Another impulse buy at the gun show...

I hit table after table looking at optics for my Saiga 7.62 x 39, and no one carried the mounting brackets.

Finally, way back in the corner of the room, I find a table with Russian scopes on rifles. The vendor is a smiling grandfatherly type, but he doesn't take plastic, cash only. Also, he only has one scope to sell which is not attached to a rifle. I recognize it as the posp and he assures me it fits the Saiga.

We shake hands on the deal, I feel like I am buying something from a relative.

Later, when I try to attach the scope, no dice......arrggghhhhh :cryss:

A quick surf of the net confirms it.....There are TWO types of clamps, and you done bought the wrong one buddy......

Heres, where I need help. How the heck do you get the old bracket off this thing. I removed the 4 screws and 2 bolts, what else is holding it on? Note the red arrow in the photo, is this some type of pin or something?

Also, while I'm at it....

All I really need now is the other clamp, right?

And, any way to tell a 6 power posp from an 8 power? The pics look the same...

Thanks for helping

Pharmer

post-5-1085373028.jpg

Easy fix and you do not have to change the bracket.

On the lower left bolt. replace that one with a metric allen head bolt. You want one that is about a 1/8" longer than it is thick. You want it to stick out.

Slide the mount on the gun with the new bolt flush so the mount will go on all the way. Clamp it down so that it is real tight. Now, screw the bolt in so that it just touches, to see were it makes contact with the mount on the gun. Remember were this contact point is.

Take off the scope. Take a dremil with carbide tip and grind out the small area were the screw made contact. Go very slow, and check the fit with the scope bake on the gun. You will want to make a small flat surface on the mount that is on the gun towards the front of were the screw will sit up against. You will also want to have it deep enough so the screw can be tightened down to the mount as to not cause a binding of the scope. It will try to push the scope at an angle if it not deep enough.

You can also grind the bolt to a shorter length if you think it is deep enough. Buy a couple of extra screws in case you need one that you ground too far.

I have done 6 guns this way and no one has had any problems so far in 3 years. Doing it this way prevents the scope for moving forward after a couple of shots. Just remember to carry a couple of allen wrenches with you to loosen up the one allen bolt to take off the scope if needed.

Easy fix and you do not have to change the bracket.

On the lower left bolt. replace that one with a metric allen head bolt. You want one that is about a 1/8" longer than it is thick. You want it to stick out.

Slide the mount on the gun with the new bolt flush so the mount will go on all the way

That's the other problem I am worried about... The scope sits soo low to the rifle, I cannot slide in onto the rail. It makes contact with the regular sight body and also hits the led case cover. Maybe the scope is just too big for this gun?

I was hoping the correct claim is going to raise it up a notch.

thanks..

pharmer