Interchangable Saiga/non-Saiga .223 mags

I have a Saiga for which I have bought several .223 East German "Weiger" mags and filed them to fit...

I was wondering, has anyone done this and then used the "modified" mags in another .223 rifle with success? Maybe a SAR-3 or some other .223 AK?

I might get another .223 AK (non-Saiga) and was hoping the modified mags would still work in it also.

The last time I was at the range A guy next to me plugged one my 40 rounders in to his SAR. I Own the 7.62X39, but there shouldn't be any difference. Especially if you filed down from the top and left the bottom of the catch relativly untouched. I think it was a bit looser in his gun.

should work though could be loose.

have read too many postings on converting magazines to give good answer.

converting ak74 to sar3

convert sar3 to chinese 223

few others. wish someone had a ar15 magazine adapter. then again ak magazines are 1/4th if not half the cost of ar15 magazines get into uber high quality ar15 mags 1/8th the cost. sorry went off topic.

your project is nutty. have read it across various forums. your money to blow hope your get your worth.

saiga uses ak74 frame though trunion specs and no dimples on frame though can adjust the rifles metal to ak74 spec or adjust the mag to work.

this I know if you modify a preban normal cap magazine so it no longer works in original rifles. its post ban hicap magazine. which is not good in the states. live outside states enjoy.

Edited by mrapathy2000
  • 2 months later...

Thanks inparidel, I'll check it out.

your project is nutty. have read it across various forums. your money to blow hope your get your worth.

I don't understand, the Saiga .223 conversion was very easy. Only a very small modification to the mags was needed for it to work. The modification was so small that I expect the mags to still work in other .223 cal AKs. But I don't have another .223 AK right now to test the mags in.

I've done so many of these conversions that I'm very comfortable with the process. I've never wasted money doing them.

This was merely putting a .223 AK mag in a .223 Saiga AK. Not much of a stretch.

Edited by Messiah Jones
few others. wish someone had a ar15 magazine adapter.

Now that AK-74 mags are getting harder to find, 223 AK mags are hardly uniform, and AR mags will soon be appearing in hi-cap form again, I'm thinking AR mags in 223 AKs will have their day soon. I plan to develop a permanent AR mag conversion (different from the adaptors poreviously available) that should be plenty reliable with even the cheapest AR mag. Right now it's just a pet project on the shelf while I develop my G3 adaptors, but if it works out I might offer it. Also, I'm thinking of trying to design one to use an AR group so that you can have reliability and durability of AK but competition triggers of ARs. What say ye?