.308 vs 7.62 NATO

The gunsmith at EAA told me that either milsurp 7.62x51 or .308 Win were fine in the .308 Saiga. Don

My EAA 308 is actually marked on the receiver with both "308 Win" and "7.62x51 NATO"

Yes, what is marked on the rifle is what it is designed for.

You have to be aware that the saiga/308 is made for the more powerful 308win round and can shoot up to 168gr bullets with no problems. It can also shoot the less powerful 7,62 nato/ball ammo too.

NOTE; Not all modern military semi-auto's can shoot both the 308 win and the 7,62 nato. Some can't handle the more powerful 308win round. Some military 7,62 rifles have fluted chambers and require the 7,62 nato round only because of its thicker walled case. There have been a few accidents with Cetme's and i'm not sure if they happened to use the 308win with the thinner walled case and it split when it was fired causing the higher breech pressure of the 308win round to destroy the cetme. You can not use both the 308win and the 7,62 nato in any modern military semi-auto. When its says its for 7,62 nato on the receiver thats it 7,62nato means 7,62 nato only it doesn't mean you can shoot 308win too. Remember the rifles with fluted chambers its 7,62nato only.

If you want to chance shooting the 308win out of your 7,62 nato rifle thats up to you its your gun and your life.

My 308win saiga loves to eat the 308 south african FMJ ball ammo.

Edited by Unknown Poster
You have to be aware that the saiga/308 is made for the more powerful 308win round and can shoot up to 168gr bullets with no problems. It can also shoot the less powerful 7,62 nato/ball ammo too.

NOTE; Not all modern military semi-auto's can shoot both the 308 win and the 7,62 nato. Some can't handle the more powerful 308win round. Some military 7,62 rifles have fluted chambers and require the 7,62 nato round only because of its thicker walled case. There have been a few accidents with Cetme's and i'm not sure if they happened to use the 308win with the thinner walled case and it split when it was fired causing the higher breech pressure of the 308win round to destroy the cetme. You can not use both the 308win and the 7,62 nato in any modern military semi-auto. When its says its for 7,62 nato on the receiver thats it 7,62nato means 7,62 nato only it doesn't mean you can shoot 308win too. Remember the rifles with fluted chambers its 7,62nato only.

If you want to chance shooting the 308win out of your 7,62 nato rifle thats up to you its your gun and your life.

My 308win saiga loves to eat the 308 south african FMJ ball ammo.

And to me this is what makes the Saiga .308 a great value!!! Able to shoot both.