my 8x42 posp finally showed up.

it's a thing of beauty.

sighted in perfectly in 4 shots.

shot several 5 shot, 2-3 inch groups at 100yds, which is good enough for me, and way better than i am capable of with irons. i don't know how all these people saying they get one big hole at 100yds are doing it.

now i just have to find some damn batteries for it, i assumed from this picture that it came with batteries.

posp842vd1.jpg

that's what i get for assuming.

Nice rig - batteries are no problemo Senior. Got a Wally World nearby? Go there and ask for 3 volt 357 Batteries - just like the ones pictured - they'll probably have several choices... specifically, go to where they sell electronics.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

yeah, i figued wally world or radio shack would have them,....

either one requires a trip into a real town. i'm truly in the boonies, and i hate to burn $5 in gas to get $5 worth of batteries. it'll have to wait till im going in for something else.

on a brighter note, i ditched my homemade flashhider and got my groups down to 1.5 -2.5" now, so i feel better about that.

yeah, i figued wally world or radio shack would have them,....

either one requires a trip into a real town. i'm truly in the boonies, and i hate to burn $5 in gas to get $5 worth of batteries. it'll have to wait till im going in for something else.

on a brighter note, i ditched my homemade flashhider and got my groups down to 1.5 -2.5" now, so i feel better about that.

Are you shooting from a benchrest?

The batteries are very common. If you want to stock up on some for a real bargain, go to budk.com and search for batteries. They have a pack of fifty for $8.99 and not the $2.50 each you pay in the store.

Are you shooting from a benchrest?

a bipod.

The batteries are very common. If you want to stock up on some for a real bargain, go to budk.com and search for batteries. They have a pack of fifty for $8.99 and not the $2.50 each you pay in the store.

now THAT's more like it! thanks!

44rdv4rk....

LOSE the bipod... ( for now...)

You want to do your "real sighting in" from sandbags or similar... A bipod is stable, but not as good as a sandbagged rest will be... you want the rifle to be sitting zeroed on target... then you reach over and pull the trigger and it goes boom... thats the mentality you want to approach it with... rock solid rifle on rest....

That will give you your BEST groups... from there, they will open up as you adjust your shooting positions... but you will KNOW what your rifle is capable of acheiving...

:smoke:

I am not saying take it off...

Just DONT USE IT while trying to see how accurate the rifle can be on sandbags.

It is perfect to use the bipod out doing your thing... but then at least you know what your rifle is capable of, and you will be able to shoot accordingly.

Good luck!!!!

:smoke:

Okay, with sandbags, it's 1" -1.25" groups consistantly.

Most of them are just a hair over 1" (like 1 1/8), with 3 of 5 holes touching.

Sorry, no pics, need camera batteries, too. I left it plugged into the computer on transfer overnight, but the target's not going anywhere. It's an old steel barrel that's slowly turning to swiss cheese. :killer::D I just keep turning it around a little and scratching a + on it with a rock in an empty spot.

Oh, and the sandbags showed me that i was one click low and one click right of center. (and the clicks on the posp are kinda big clicks- like half an inch movement per click)

Thanks, Indy, for talking me into going through the effort to do it right. Even if it proved to me that my saiga isnt the best saiga out there. (I already knew I wasnt the best shooter out there.)

didja get teh pro or std posp? eastwave?

yep, eastwave. the regular one.. (posp 8x42 VD)

looks like the only 8x "pro" on their site is for svd/dragunov rails.

wonder what the VD stands for... am i gunna get warts on my eye? lol

didja get teh pro or std posp? eastwave?

yep, eastwave. the regular one.. (posp 8x42 VD)

looks like the only 8x "pro" on their site is for svd/dragunov rails.

wonder what the VD stands for... am i gunna get warts on my eye? lol

any chance you can check the BDC at 1,2 and 300 yards. should be almost right on, but if you ahve a chance......

from freedomoptics:

POSP 8x42V Rifle Scope is exactly the same as the POSP 8x42VD, except it has a non-adjustable eyepiece.

any chance you can check the BDC at 1,2 and 300 yards. should be almost right on, but if you ahve a chance......

i can check 100 and 200 next time i go to the range. unfortunately no 300 there.

maybe someone else here has an 8x posp on their .308 and has access to a 300yd range?

*looks around* tritium, maybe?

Personally, I find that I do my best shooting from prone with a sling. Get some nice leather to put on there. You'll recognise the sling I'm talking about by the two rows of holes running all over it, and the (usually brass) hooks. There should be at least one site out there that explain the proper installation and use of a shooting sling, but I can try to help if necessary.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good shooting!

i can check 100 and 200 next time i go to the range. unfortunately no 300 there.

maybe someone else here has an 8x posp on their .308 and has access to a 300yd range?

*looks around* tritium, maybe?

I may be able to get access to a private grass airstrip mongo hundreds of yards long. If/when I do we'll post some results.

Personally, I find that I do my best shooting from prone with a sling. Get some nice leather to put on there. You'll recognise the sling I'm talking about by the two rows of holes running all over it, and the (usually brass) hooks. There should be at least one site out there that explain the proper installation and use of a shooting sling, but I can try to help if necessary.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the good shooting!

i know just the sling you mean.

have one on my old ruger 44mag carbine. (the one with the tube mag, pre-deerfield)

it's great for steadying while standing, never really thought of using a sling while prone.

the romy leather sling on my s-308 is every bit as firm and stretch-free as the brass hook type, so i may give it a shot, so to speak.

:wolfwood:

FYI - the reason that the bipod screwed your zero up is because as the round passes the point that the bipod is supporting, the slight barrel flex involved when the round passes through the barrel causes it to jump up slightly.

FYI - the reason that the bipod screwed your zero up is because as the round passes the point that the bipod is supporting, the slight barrel flex involved when the round passes through the barrel causes it to jump up slightly.

hmm. makes sense. i guess it wouldnt take more than a tiny little "hop" to bump it 1/2" at 100yds.

i'm getting so much info here, my brain may 'splode :D

thanks!

you can minimise that effect (or at least I do with an ar15 with a bipod on it) by shooting prone off grass or mud or leaves. possibly a bath towel folded in half twice on a truck hood should do it as well. also, when using a bipod, you should do the same that you are supposed to off a sandbag and hold/support the rear bottom of the stock into your armpit with your non-trigger hand (obviously). this will also help minimise muzzle drift from recoil hitting the bipod and trying to make the gun holp on you.

also, set the rifle on a totally level surface, and verify that the scope and bore are true vertical to the plane the gun rests on. a slight turn and you get your one click off. good target guns have bubble floats on the front sight bases for this very reason.

I for one am glad to see the noobs coming out of the woodwork finally! welcome aboard people!

also, set the rifle on a totally level surface, and verify that the scope and bore are true vertical to the plane the gun rests on. a slight turn and you get your one click off.

That's why I used to champion the Versa-Pod. It allows for a few degrees of tilt in either direction. Strangely, it looks a lot like the Parker-Hale bipod pictured in Brownells... but costs a LOT less. As a possible up-side, it attaches to a sling connection point. This would require the installation of one on the bottom of the handgaurd, but it may also keep the bipod from exerting pressure on the barrel. This assumes that the barrel is free floating, as it would be (or could be) on a normal Saiga fore-stock.

Oh, and what Bvamp was reffering to is called a "spirit level", in the catalouges I'm familiar with.

As for the sling, I'm going on limited first hand experience and years of second hand information (my father used to compete). It seems that normally (in NRA High-Power matches that is) a sling is only used in the sitting and prone positions.

that's because standing is the one position where slings are not allowed in most competitions.

it really does help, for me anyway.

etit: can one consider the saiga barrel free floating, when they have an ak gas system?

Edited by 44rdv4rk

If an M14 can have a "free floating" barrel, then I'm sure the Saiga can. What most people (including me) mean when they say "free floating" is that the stock does not contact the barrel. Annecdotal evidence being worth what it is, I'll offer this: The few times I've read about people trying to get more accuracy out of a Romak 3, the most commonly done operation (and the most effective) was to remove wood from the inside of the forestock. The gas system shouldn't put much load on the barrel. It probably changes harmonics, but it should change them in the same way for every shot. This is because the gas block and handgaurd retainers are permanently attached to the barrel. As the stock is not permanently attached to the barrel (on AKs that is, Mausers are a whole different story), the pressure on the barrel can change from shot to shot.

By the way, I think I'll try using a sling for off-hand shooting again. The last few times I did that, the results were not acceptable. I feel inspired to give it another try though.

If an M14 can have a "free floating" barrel, then I'm sure the Saiga can. What most people (including me) mean when they say "free floating" is that the stock does not contact the barrel. Annecdotal evidence being worth what it is, I'll offer this: The few times I've read about people trying to get more accuracy out of a Romak 3, the most commonly done operation (and the most effective) was to remove wood from the inside of the forestock. The gas system shouldn't put much load on the barrel. It probably changes harmonics, but it should change them in the same way for every shot. This is because the gas block and handgaurd retainers are permanently attached to the barrel. As the stock is not permanently attached to the barrel (on AKs that is, Mausers are a whole different story), the pressure on the barrel can change from shot to shot.

By the way, I think I'll try using a sling for off-hand shooting again. The last few times I did that, the results were not acceptable. I feel inspired to give it another try though.

fwiw, i keep my sling a little shorter for offhand shooting, since in that position i take up a little less space inside the sling, if you know what i mean.

free floating would be hard caouse of the stamped receivers, I don't think they can support a ff tube. only way I've figured out would be a continous stock, almost like a sled, connected at the stock and grip points with two support rods on left and right of receiver extending from the rear of shoulderpad to support a handguard. but then, we have to leave room for the safety and the scope mount is really low too, so figuring out how to get those support rods all the way through would be tough.

here's a pic:

157oiux.jpg

and again, the main point of free floating is not to relieve stress on the barrel, but to make sure the same stress (or lack thereof) affects the barrel every time.

Edited by chapperjoe
the main point of free floating is not to relieve stress on the barrel, but to make sure the same stress (or lack thereof) affects the barrel every time.

Well put. Relieving unecessary stress is always good. :)

The particular instance I'm thinking of would be with the Saiga rifles in their stock form. It should be possible to make the handgaurd thin enough in the right places (given the "single screw" attachment method) to keep it from putting any pressure on the barrel.

That said, one could also go with a modified type of "V block" bedding inside the handgaurd of a more traditional AK. It's mostly theoretical anyway. The gain would probably not be worth the trouble for most AKs.

How long did it take you to get it from Eastwave. I'm still waiting for mine.

The one I got took less than three weeks after order. They are well packed and arrive from Belarus, registered mail.