the main point of free floating is not to relieve stress on the barrel, but to make sure the same stress (or lack thereof) affects the barrel every time.

Well put. Relieving unecessary stress is always good. :)

The particular instance I'm thinking of would be with the Saiga rifles in their stock form. It should be possible to make the handgaurd thin enough in the right places (given the "single screw" attachment method) to keep it from putting any pressure on the barrel.

That said, one could also go with a modified type of "V block" bedding inside the handgaurd of a more traditional AK. It's mostly theoretical anyway. The gain would probably not be worth the trouble for most AKs.

That V-block (very similar to my dwing) is basically how the finns (or swedes?) made their new battelfield sniper rifle out of mosin octogan receivers..... it was in shotgun news a couple months back, I'll IM fortier and ask for the specs, FANTASTIC looking rifle, performed decent, but as you said, and bedding of that type will be heavy as hell.

Finnish Tarkkuuskivarari 85 (Marksman Rifle 1985) or

simply TKIV 85

atkiv85_480x322.jpg

1083742430_05.7.62_TKIV_85.jpg

1113205476_IMG_7982.jpg

1113200598_IMG_7971.jpg

the receiver is bedded at front of receiver only adn the two mosins stock screws don't touch anything. it's competely floating other than the single bedding point. basically a wooden sled.