Saiga/PSL .308

Nice job! Looks great!

I have some of that stain too.

You can acheive the same results for a lot less with RIT dye and denatured alcohol. Seriously, use the liquid RIT dye - red, yellow and brown - mix your own stain. Works very well and is cheap.

Nice job! Looks great!

You can acheive the same results for a lot less with RIT dye and denatured alcohol. Seriously, use the liquid RIT dye - red, yellow and brown - mix your own stain. Works very well and is cheap.

How much does the 3 cans of RIT + alky cost? My bottle of CRS was $10 shipped, from Brownells...

I've done 3 rifles so far, and there is still 3/4 left in the bottle.. for the time and effort saved hard to beat.

have a Bulgy rubber recoil pad coming to complete the look...

Actually.... your look *IS ALREADY* complete....

PSL's do not come with rubber butpads... they have a metal springloaded buttplate...

yours is kickass the way it is... other than the comfort factor for your own shooting, it looks like a PSL the way it is!! :up: :up:

I wouldnt change a thing!!

( except if you want the buttpad for your comfort... then of course, stick it on there...)

:smoke:

have a Bulgy rubber recoil pad coming to complete the look...

Actually.... your look *IS ALREADY* complete....

PSL's do not come with rubber butpads... they have a metal springloaded buttplate...

yours is kickass the way it is... other than the comfort factor for your own shooting, it looks like a PSL the way it is!! :up: :up:

I wouldnt change a thing!!

( except if you want the buttpad for your comfort... then of course, stick it on there...)

:smoke:

It's all about the comfort! The one range I go to has low benches, and a overhang off the front to keep the muzzles from going too high and over shooting the berm. So you almost have to lay the rifle on the bench to get low enough for scoped weapons.

Consequently, the butt ends up very high on my shoulder, and gets painful after a couple mags. Anything to help is welcomed!

Besides, never know when I might need to toss out a grenade or two! :killer:

And it has a velcro strap on the pad, so easy on and off.. for us sissys! :haha:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thats a nice looking setup, you did a great job on that Saiga!

I was going to do that same approach on my Saiga, but decided to go with a more compact rifle , I wanted handling capabilities instead of long range traits.

Thanks for showing your Saiga to us!

Nice job! Looks great!

How much does the 3 cans of RIT + alky cost? My bottle of CRS was $10 shipped, from Brownells...

I've done 3 rifles so far, and there is still 3/4 left in the bottle.. for the time and effort saved hard to beat.

The 3 bottles of RIT and some pure denatured alcohol would be less than $10 and you could do 100 rifles with the amount of stain that you could make - and, you can customize the stain for the type of wood that you are using. IMHO

And here she is with some Chestnut Ridge stain and tung oil

6x24 POSP scope with SVD reticule, welded on Drugy FH.. have a Bulgy rubber recoil pad coming to complete the look...

post-3216-1151077338_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1151077356_thumb.jpg

Where'd you get the Dragunov FH? :wub:

Actually found it on an Airsoft parts site.. steel, correct left hand threads, the whole thing.

Most impressive, I'm planning something similar for my S-308 22"rifle.

Forum member BattleRifleG3 is going to work on a walnut draganov stock with a vented hand guard for for me.I'm sending my S-308 off to have the barrel turned down and a Bulgarian 24mm FSB installed,this will allow me to use 24mm brakes,flash hiders etc.

You have a PSL look alike but it will shoot much better I'm sure.

• 10 months later...

I've had a few questions on the conversion, so I thought I would go back and update this..

The stock is a cheapo standard AK from Centerfiresystems

FCG is RSA Vepr 2-stage, pretty much drops in

gas piston is a standard AK part, got it from RSA as well

Upper hand guard and gas tube are off a Romy AK. The PSL is too long. You have to change the angle of the rear bevel on the tube to match the Saiga, otherwise it drops in.

Lower handguard is a PSL, came from K-var. I shortened it about 1 inch, and cut the rear to match the stock Saiga, and installed the Saiga retaining nut with epoxy.

The front is the major work, to open it up to clear the gas block, and fit the front hand guard retainer from the Saiga. My AK "retainer" on the handgaurd is glued on, just for looks. The forearm attaches just like the standard Saiga.

I also made a couple metal floor plates for the mags, to get to my proper compliance count.