what the twist

does anybody know what the twist of the rifling in the saiga 223 rifles

thanks gunguy51 :killer:

Check this chart: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=At...ost&id=8095 Some info is better than none I guess.

Hmm the chart shows rifleling "pitch" as 178 mm - and that's roughly 7", so 1-7 twist? That's on the fast side - should be able to handle 80+ grain bullets if I'm extrapolating this right.

yep, i thought fbmg guy once told us here it was 1/9. 1/7 would be overkill.

Wouldn't be overkill if they intended this for milspec ammo - 55-60 grains. Fast, yes but didn't the Colt M-16 have a 1:7" twist for a while? Then, I think they went to 1:8"...

My Bushmaster has 1:9"

US military still have 1/7 twist barrels, the main purpose from what I gather is to stablize a tracer from the 14" barrels. Its not needed in a Saiga unless you are wanting to try and shoot 75gr+ match ammo. 1/12 is a closer optimum for 55gr. 1/9 is a compromise for a most common bullets.

onepoint is right, the mil did use 1/7 twist for about 2 to 3 yrs, mid 80's , to stabilize the tracers, but they switched to 1/9. the problem with the 1/7 twist is that , if you use bullets 40 to i think 55 grns, they will literally fly apart when leaving your muzzle... I would not think that an ak or ar ,to the public at large, type mfgr , would go with a 1/7 twist. 1/9 twist covers everything from 40 to 69grnrs.

Edited by rangerruck

I've seen more than one 5.56/223 using 16"barrels with 1in9 twist barrels fail to stabilize 75gr+ bullets on targets at 100 meters. If you look at the ballistics of the 223 round you'll see why it would be desirable to use as heavy a bullet as possible when using the 5.56mm/.223 round .

There are plenty of barrels with 1in7 twist in theater now, as well as in civillian hands being used to stabilize 75,77, and 79gr bullets to extend that fragmentation range of the 223 round, and still maintain some accuracy.

I personally will not use 45Gr-bullet in a barrel with 1in7 twist, although i've seen it done.

Edited: to say I wanted to clarify that the barrels I'm talking about were not on Saigas. I don't know what the Saiga .223 use.

Edited by cscharlie
  • 2 weeks later...
onepoint is right, the mil did use 1/7 twist for about 2 to 3 yrs, mid 80's , to stabilize the tracers, but they switched to 1/9.

The .mil still uses 1:7. That is all they have used in standard issue since the A2.

1:9 is a civ compromise.

Again I say 1 in 9. I suggest you guys go refigure your metric conversion or tight patch the barrel, I just did it again to see if I was wrong. my 2 saigas came out 1 turn in 9 give or take a 1/4", just like the AR-15 barrel I did as a comparison, and that is marked 1/9.

The 1/7 AR barrel came out 1 in 7.5", not exact but close enough to call it.

Again I say 1 in 9. I suggest you guys go refigure your metric conversion or tight patch the barrel, I just did it again to see if I was wrong. my 2 saigas came out 1 turn in 9 give or take a 1/4", just like the AR-15 barrel I did as a comparison, and that is marked 1/9.

The 1/7 AR barrel came out 1 in 7.5", not exact but close enough to call it.

I know for a fact my barrel is 1:7.This was confirmed to me when the conversion was done on it. Factory specs are 1:7, I even got a confirmation from Izh that the S-223 are 1:7.

I'm not doubting your twist rates on your rifles but I do know what mine is for certain as well as what the specs are for the the factory. Could it be an older version or newer version?

Mine is a brand new one. Therefore, it is 1:7. Right?

I see no marking to that effect on the rifle or manual.

Is there a way for me to determine it myself?

I guess I don't really care that much but now I'm curious.

I see no marking to that effect on the rifle or manual.

Is there a way for me to determine it myself?

I guess I don't really care that much but now I'm curious.

From Assassin's post 6/21/06:

Hi all

yes the rifling pitch in the saiga .223 is definatly 1:7"

they are advertised over here in the U.K as such and as far as we can find out there is only one pitch in these barels

all the best

assassin

If someone tells you its 1 in 7 thats good enough apparently. If you really want to know, wrap a patch up so its very tight in the bore on you cleaning rod, mark it, run it down until it makes 1 turn, mark that, pull it out, measure between the marks and that is the twist rate. OR you can simple listen to advertising, which is much easier. ;)

Actually , I am curious to those who say they do have 1/7 if they have patched it, because it would be interesting, even if trivial to know, especially if or when they changed it.

Edited by Onepoint