Breaking in saiga rifle?

Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a Saiga .223 :wub: . Right out of the Izmash-box, no conversions, it's the original version with pistol grip (by the way I can hardly believe this version is prohibited in the US and allowed over here in Germany).

When I brought my new baby to the range, I had not too much time, so I just shot about 60 rounds - and had 6 jams!! It's always the same problem: The empty cartrigde case is stuck in the extractor claw an won't be ejected.

Actualy that's not the reliability I expected from a AK :unsure: . So, the question is: Do I have to break in the Saiga with a couple of hundred rounds or should I bring the gun right back to the gun shop, because these jams are absolutely "unnatural"?

Any comment or help is appreciated.

Take Care

Kon

Edited by Kon

Good day Kon:

I would take the rifle back to the store. If they gave a gunsmith he/she would be able to accurately diagnose the cause of the problem. It may have to go back to the company or be exchanged. It sounds like you bought the rifle new so it should work right. I have not known AKs to need any real breakin other than cleaning them before shooting. AKs in my experience are almost "absolutely reliable". In my 7.62 Saiga the only failures I have had are ammo related (bad primmers, out of tolerance cases). As a matter of fact my Saiga, purchased for $159.99 new is every bit as reliable (mabey more) as my Belgian FAL that cost me 10 time the price of my Saiga.

have you taken the drift pin it came with and put it into the barrel through the gas port? maybe that is clogged or irregular. my saiga12 is a little different than your saiga 223, but on closer inspection there is a slight alignment problem with the barrel's gas port holes into the gas tube. not a huge deal with mine, due to three holes, but i could see problems occuring if the barrel is out of alignment and partially obscuring yours. that might explain your problem. send it back and make them pay the costs to get you a NEW one. dont go for the "oh its under warranty this we will send it to the factory for you" b.s. see if you can just swap it out and reregister the new one to you in its place. I dont know the gun law there in germany at ALL, but im sure there is some kind of gun registry you have to think about before exchanging anything with a serial # that you signed for.

Thank you very much for your advices.

Yes it is a brandnew saiga, right out of the factory. In fact before I went shooting I fieldstripped the gun, put a couple of patches through the barrel and cleaned the "interior" with a cotton cloth. I did not degrease it with any chemicals. Maybe that was a mistake :rolleyes: . I'll do that in prior of my next visit to the range and also check the gas ports like bvamp suggested. I hope I don't have to give it back, because that means to deal with the government guys again, as all guns over here are licenced, and changes in gun papers are always a hassle.

Thanks again for your assistance.

yeh i had that problem the first clip out of my SAR, then it went away. I smoked the grease off the entire gun though the first day (I only run a bore brush down the barrel of any new gun I buy to get the oil out of the barrel and chamber, then I just blaze away till the rest of the crap just burns off...helps me tell where i have to pay closer attention to when I oil the gun for storage), so maybe you are right, maybe its heavy gunk in the bolt assy. I guess it might also be the ammunition? My problem happened twice in the first mag and that was it. but then again, im emptying the thing out rapidly first time out.

Edited by Bvamp
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi KON,

welcome to the Saiga .223 owners.

I also live in germany :lolol:

nice art to find shooters with the same rifle.

I havent jet any problems with my saiga when i use the orig. 10 round clips.

Only when i use the red bacelite 30 round clips i have some jams, because i work on that problem.

:angel:

And after they work i will fix them to 10 round. :cryss:

The law is like that way.

Tell my from where in germany you come,

If its near we can meet us for some rounds downrange. :killer:

I live in Münster

Greatings

SteyrM9 :up:

@ SteyrM9

I live in Munich. Unfortunately that's not just around the corner of Muenster.

Hadn't the time yet for a complete treatment with break cleaner and stuff. In July there's a practical rifle match not far from munich, and I'd love to take part with my saiga. But first, I'll have to fix it :angel: .

Take care

Kon

Edited by Kon