Just finished my 1st 308 conversion and think I have this "Safety Problem":

Problem is :ded:

- Charge the weapon...

- Put safety on...

- Touch trigger (slight movement)...

- Release the trigger...

- Remove safety...

- WEAPON FIRES!

CAN this be corrected with the weld/add to the safety?

I currently have the dinzagarms single trigger FCG, easy installation!

Would a double trigger setup help this problem?

Whould I be better off to get the FSE or RSA FCG and replace the G2?

I don't really need an adjustable trigger, so probably the FSE FCG....

Thanks for any assist....

Edited by CaptLouie
  • 2 weeks later...

- Charge the weapon...

- Put safety on...

- Release the trigger...

- Remove safety...

- WEAPON FIRES!

Is this Dinzag's FCG specifically for the Saiga 308?

If so, you should contact Dinzag.

If not you have a few options:

Alter the Safety (requires welding).

Alter the FCG (also requires welding).

Replace the FCG with the one made specifically for the 308.

Replace the Safety with one made for a standard AK.

On my latest conversion (a Saiga-M with the same FCG and Safety as the 308) I tried something a little bit different.

I used an unaltered G2 (since I had one) and for the safety, took one out of another AK I had. I then tried the unaltered Saiga safety in the AK, and it worked.

I don't recommend this (I recommend Dinzag's 308 FCG), but if you have another AK and a G2 FCG you might want to play with the idea.

Edited by cma g21

- Charge the weapon...

- Put safety on...

- Release the trigger...

- Remove safety...

- WEAPON FIRES!

Do you have the FCG that Dinzag offers specifically for the Saiga .308? If so, I would contact Dinzag about it. His .308 FCG is made to resolve that very safety issue, among other things.

- Charge the weapon...

- Put safety on...

- Release the trigger...

- Remove safety...

- WEAPON FIRES!

Do you have the FCG that Dinzag offers specifically for the Saiga .308? If so, I would contact Dinzag about it. His .308 FCG is made to resolve that very safety issue, among other things.

Yep, Dinzag 308 FCG, retention clip, etc. .

I've been in contact with him.... Just need the time to break-down my 308... check the items... and take some photos and get back to him...

Based on his description, don't think my FCG set has his mod... need to verify...

Hopefully do that tomorrow while momma is gone...

Thanks for the response...

• 2 weeks later...

- Charge the weapon...

- Put safety on...

- Release the trigger...

- Remove safety...

- WEAPON FIRES!

Yep, Dinzag 308 FCG, retention clip, etc. .

I've been in contact with him.... Just need the time to break-down my 308... check the items... and take some photos and get back to him...

Based on his description, don't think my FCG set has his mod... need to verify...

Hopefully do that tomorrow while momma is gone...

Thanks for the response...

JUST AN UPDATE....

I sent my FCG and Safety lever in to Dinzag to check out the problem.

He discovered that the tang on my 308 Safety lever is SHORTER BY .030 inches? :eek:

He is currently modifing the FCG to handle this difference in lenght/height.

I've put a query into RAAC to see if possibly there was a change in the Saiga 308 design.....

...or maybe the factory is just using which ever Safety lever is available during assembly. :cryss:

Let everyone know what I find out.

• 7 months later...

Checked my .308 safety lever against my .223 and the .308 WAS shorter. So, I took the .308 lever and silver soldered a small nail on the lever, and then ground it down so that that it would fit back in the rifle. Works GREAT!~~~! Now, I'll keep the .223 lever for the .308 conversion when the new trigger group comes in today. Apparently the factory cut back that tab on the safety lever for the odd ball trigger that comes OEM on the .308. I think any standard AKM would work. I had to clean enough material away for the safety lever to rotate after I got it back in the position. It only holds on the right side (looking down), so that part I kept as much material on it as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Boy am I glad for these forums, got me the G2 when I ordered the .308, went ahead today and ordered a new safety lever from CSS and not putting that G2 in until it arrives. I must agree that this issue sounds pretty severe and I am surprised that suppliers of both SAIGA and the G2 have not come with a permanent solution. If the vendors had a modified version of the G2 specifically made for the .308 or state it on their websites that you MUST switch out the safety lever if buying for a .308 it would save us a lot of time and possibly a innocent bystanders life at the range someday. Just a thought on that topic.

• 3 months later...

This only happens with the G-2 in a Saiga .308 using the stock safety. My smith used a FSE FCG in my .308 with the stock safety, & there is no problem. The G-2's also have problems with the NDS 3 receiver. Remember, the G-2 is a 1 size fits all FCG, & seems to have problems in certain applications. Considering all the variables between different receivers, safety's, & mfg tolerances, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I would be very interested in knowing which particular AK Gerry Gordon used when he designed this FCG? GARY N4KVE

Edited by N4KVE
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the rsa trigger and had to shim the one side on the axis pin to correct side to side play and also had to add some weld to build up the contacting part of the safety .Just like broken feather

Edited by OBITUARY
  • 4 weeks later...

I put a Dinzag 308 trigger in mine a couple of weeks ago , I actually had to remove some material off the safety to get it to fit it works fine no movement of the trigger when the safety is engaged and everything is functioning properly ,, has anyone else had to remove material instead of adding

• 4 weeks later...

I put a Dinzag 308 trigger in mine a couple of weeks ago , I actually had to remove some material off the safety to get it to fit it works fine no movement of the trigger when the safety is engaged and everything is functioning properly ,, has anyone else had to remove material instead of adding

I had too also. There doesn't seem to be a very good quality check between stamping saftey levers?

I had too also. There doesn't seem to be a very good quality check between stamping saftey levers?

I had to remove material from mine also on 1 side for it to clear.

Also used the 6mm flat washer (like DinZag uses) to make sure it stays centered.. and keeps the hammer spring from jumping in also.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Converted my 308 today with a FCG from CSS and noticed the safety issue while playing with it. Glad I didn't try to shoot it.

Does anyone know why this issue is coming up now? Folks have been converting for a good while and I would think any bugs would have been taken care of already.

Okay, now where can I buy a new safety lever?

M

Edited by m1key

Apex sells them..

Thanks.

I'm thinking anyone who sells a "complete" Saiga conversion kit for the 308 should include a "good" safety lever.

BTW, I noticed my 223 and x39 Saigas also have this "short" safety. Will converting them require a new safety lever?

M

Edited by m1key
  • 1 month later...

Apex sells them..

Thanks.

I'm thinking anyone who sells a "complete" Saiga conversion kit for the 308 should include a "good" safety lever.

BTW, I noticed my 223 and x39 Saigas also have this "short" safety. Will converting them require a new safety lever?

M

.308 saiga was the first one I converted probably 6 years ago, It was the only one with the issue of the selector being ground down too short to engage the trigger leg. My two 7.62x39 and two 5.45x39 rifles worked fine with original selector levers. Are you talking about the engagement being too short on your .223 and 7.62x39 selectors or the overall length of the selector being shorter than other country types?

Edited by Mak
  • 2 months later...

let me be more specific, since im new here.

do the stock. 308s and 7.62s have this problem?

does the trigger wiggle or move while the safety is on, or any of these other issues,

that would cause the gun to fire off a round, as the OP described?

this will determine if i purchase a saiga rifle.

thanks.

Is the only risk here if you use the safety? In other words, if you were to leave safety set at off at all times, only firing it after chambering a round, is there any other risk? Un-commanded firing, or slam firing? I am planning on purchasing an AK safety and just replacing it when I do the conversion.

• 7 months later...

I've seen this issue addressed on other boards and the solution offered has been to file off a small amount of material on one side of the safety leaving one side with firm contact on the trigger leg and the other side slightly shorter so that it clears the disconnector. I don't recall which side was filed I think it was the left with right left secure.