Well, my carbine is in the oven...

I just completed the pg conversion mods on my Saiga carbine. Checked for function, fit, degreased and painted up with duplicolor high-temp. Now she's in the oven curing.

This was a little different than the 22" model that I had. The 22" had a pg hole done already, this one needed me to cut it. I think this is an older model as its marked with EAA - and I don't remember if my 22" had that marking or not (traded it for this carbine and a little graft). I used rivets to secure the trigger guard (did the same thing on the 22") but this time, the rivet inside needed to be trimmed down to avoid contacting the back of the trigger - didn't have that situation with the 22" model. The cut-out for the trigger seems to be bigger on the carbine? Again, the 22" is addios, so I can't put em side by side and compare...

I'm putting a red star fcg in it and installing K-VAR buttstock and pg. That'll probably be it for some time.

I'll post a pic when she's all done.

I just completed the pg conversion mods on my Saiga carbine. Checked for function, fit, degreased and painted up with duplicolor high-temp. Now she's in the oven curing.

This was a little different than the 22" model that I had. The 22" had a pg hole done already, this one needed me to cut it. I think this is an older model as its marked with EAA - and I don't remember if my 22" had that marking or not (traded it for this carbine and a little graft). I used rivets to secure the trigger guard (did the same thing on the 22") but this time, the rivet inside needed to be trimmed down to avoid contacting the back of the trigger - didn't have that situation with the 22" model. The cut-out for the trigger seems to be bigger on the carbine? Again, the 22" is addios, so I can't put em side by side and compare...

I'm putting a red star fcg in it and installing K-VAR buttstock and pg. That'll probably be it for some time.

I'll post a pic when she's all done.

Can't wait to see the pic!

Ta dah!

20500PDRM0356.JPG

20500PDRM0360-med.JPG

As mentioned, used Duplicolor high temp and once again, it worked great! Really a nice finish.

The Red Star fcg also worked really well - have it tuned down to a single stage trigger and it is sweet!

I can't wait to get it out to the range again :D

Oh, I didn't install the bolt hold open - was in the process of wranglig with that damned spring and "fwoing!" off it went into the wild blue and I couldn't find the little bastage. So, it is sans bho for now...

Edited by O.S.O.K.
Ta dah!

20500PDRM0356.JPG

20500PDRM0360-med.JPG

As mentioned, used Duplicolor high temp and once again, it worked great! Really a nice finish.

The Red Star fcg also worked really well - have it tuned down to a single stage trigger and it is sweet!

I can't wait to get it out to the range again :D

Oh, I didn't install the bolt hold open - was in the process of wranglig with that damned spring and "fwoing!" off it went into the wild blue and I couldn't find the little bastage. So, it is sans bho for now...

I wonder if one of Jeric's BHO springs would serve as a replacement. If so he might be able to hook you up with a replacement.

post-1970-1151791724_thumb.jpgpost-1970-1151791748_thumb.jpg

Found it! :D

I have an RCBS Rockchucker press that was nearby and the little shit was laying in the dead primer tray...

Thanks guys. :xmas:

o.s.ok that finish looks real nice what duplicolor did you use the satin or the flat i used the satin on mine her a couple of pictures gunguy51

Yeah, I saw those pics - great job on it! I like the drag stocks on the long barreld .308's.

I used the flat.

One thing I didn't do is paint the dust cover and gas tube - they are both gloss black and it has a kind of two-tone appearance. Of course, I haven't really oiled it down yet, trying to allow a little more curing time before I do that.

Well took her back to the range and tried out the new fcg and stock config. Shot very well! The Hertenberger berdan ammo gave 2-3" groups - shooting about 2" to the right of aim.

Had some handloads on hand (Hornady 150 grain spire points and W748 powder) and those did even better - 1 1/4" group at 100 yards with the iron sights - again, 2" right and a little higher than the Herty.

My nice B-Square sight pusher won't fit the front sight base of this rifle - too wide fore and aft, so tried a brass nut on one side and a c-clamp - couldn't get it to budge.

Decided to just give in and trade-out a windage adjustable rear sight from another AK. That'll take care of that! :D

All in all, I'm very happy with this rifle - shoots just as good as the 22" version that I traded it for.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I tried shooting this with the issue trigger and the groups with the Hertenberger ammo were generally 2-3" but I got a lot of flyers, which openned the groups up to 6" or so. I attributed this to the trigger which was unpredictable and mushy - I didn't care for it at all. It was worse than the 22" rifle's original trigger (the gent that I traded with did inform me of the trigger, but I knew that I was going to install the RS fcg anyway).