.223 or 308?????

I guess it would depend on what you plan to do with it, I will be buying a .223 but after that I'm seriously considering getting a .308, because I like the round. Good Luck you will be happy with which ever you select

If you are going to hunt or shoot at longer ranges the 308 is the way to go. The 223 is a better plinker and is little cheaper to shoot. The 308 has more recoil but if you put in a buffer its not enough to bother you. The 308 has the least recoil of any 308 semi that I have fired. You might want to consider a 7.62x39 but right now the ammo costs about the same as 308. Just get both. I have a 7.62x39, a 308 and a 12 gauge and thinking about a 223.

.308 Because-----a bigger hammer hits harder!

The .223 is great for smaller varmint, the .308 is great for larger varmint--it will also take care of the smaller varmint, but may mess it up too bad for eating.

G O B

My advice is to start with the .223. You will really enjoy shooting it and the ammo is cheaper too. It is also lighter.

If you do intend to use this for deer or hog hunting, then yes, by all means go with the .308 but if for target, plinking, home defense, varmint control, etc. - go with the .223 - it is a much better AK to start with IMHO.

my advice, get a 30 caliber gun if you want to use it as a "social rifle". It penetrates better, hits harder at range, and is far more flexible. x39 or x51 is the way to go. The 223 is basically a varmint round masquarading as a military cartridge. I'd avoid the poodleshooter unless you are extremely recoil sensitive.

.223 or 308 saiga "BOTH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own 6 saiga's right now 3 in .223 all with 16" barrels and two 16" barreled 308's and two 22" barreled 308's. I may have more and lost count I try to buy every used saiga i see thats cheap too.

With the surplus military market being kind of sucky now with whats left with nothing new or different on the horizon I see the saiga's as a breath of fresh air to collecting. I say buy what we can while we can while there still available. All of us(family) hunt and plink too we shoot over 1,000rds+ at one trip to the range of different calibers, the saiga's rock everything else.

I was never interested in the 223 round until the saiga was so affordable in 223 and the wolf ammo in 223 is so cheap too as an alternative plinker to the scarce/expensive 7,62x39 ammo. I nevert expected to find the 223 so much fun to shhot being a big bore guy for most of my life('06,444 & 338 magnum). The 16" 223 and 308 do make a nice pair to have in your collection. The prices seem to be going up too on the latest import so now is the time if you missed them on the first go around. There is nothing to match the saiga's quality nor value on the american market today nothing comes close.

BTW my state is soon to ban all AK designed receiver weapons too.

I own 6 saiga's right now 3 in .223 all with 16" barrels and two 16" barreled 308's and two 22" barreled 308's.

Hmm.... 3+2+2=6 :blink::blink::blink:

Remind me to give you a call next time I need change for some $100.00 bills... Maybe then 3+2+2 ($20.00 bills) will = 5!! LOL :lol:

:smoke:

I own 6 saiga's right now 3 in .223 all with 16" barrels and two 16" barreled 308's and two 22" barreled 308's.

Hmm.... 3+2+2=6 :blink::blink::blink:

Remind me to give you a call next time I need change for some $100.00 bills... Maybe then 3+2+2 ($20.00 bills) will = 5!! LOL :lol:

Sorry I have "8" I have 3 of the 16" barreled saiga's I lose count because i purchased 1 used 308 with scope and extra mag for $229 and 1 still NIB 223 missing the mag for $239. I forget those were sneaked in purchases when the saigas weren't imported. Dam there multiplying as we speak I have to seperate those rascals there worst than rabbits. I just can't pass up and great used buys or the good deals on them too I'm just a saiga hog and i want to keep them all to myself. Really its when they said they might not be imported anymore so i grabbed what i could to keep on shooting saiga's incase one broke i had a parts gun too its good to have extra's and stand bys.

2 saiga's in 308 with 22" barrels still NIB

1 Saiga in 308 with 16" barrel still NIB

2 Saiga in 308 with 16" barrel shot 3 times

2 Saiga's in 223 with 16" barrels shot once

1 saiga in 223 with 16" barrel still NIB

YUP I have 8 total all in different safes so i can't count them all that easy.

BTW; I don't change $100 dollar bills I spend them on saiga's.

Edited by Unknown Poster

I know how the multiplication factor is... I had 9... traded off two... got two more... so I am back to 9... and still have plans for at LEAST 4 if not 6 more, in different configurations... :up:

We can get the 223 ammo on sale time to time for $95/1,000rds thats the time to buy it. The south african 308 ball ammo is getting pricey lately too but the new wolf 308 ammo is looking better all the time too the prices are getting closer and closer too. All I can say is get ready to reload all our military calibers and get those cheap LEE Dies at www.midwayusa.com thats what i did. The Lee dies are as good as everyone elses and even there cheap $10 Lee RGB dies are good too I ran about 6,000 rounds of 308/FMJ one winter without a problem. The good old days of shooting cheap surplus ammo are just about gone. Back in the 70's to 80's surplus ammo wasn't cheap back then at all if you could find any.

Its cheaper for me to plink with the 223 right now over the 7,62x39. As soon as the shortage of the 7,62x39 ammo started i started buying up the 223 to stock up on it before the shortage hit there or the prices went up too.

Edited by Unknown Poster

Really the difference between a 308 and 223 is all about the energy that a 150-180 grain bullet retains at long ranges vs a similar (but slightly higher velocisty) 45 to 60 grain bullet. Nothing is free (my shoulder knows the difference between 50 rounds down range with my 223 as compared to my 308). The added weight and recoil of the 308 is what accounts for energy (mass*velocity squared) at 500 yards that's equal or superior to the energy that the 223 or 7.62x39 have at about 100 yards. To me that marks the difference between a battle rifle cartridge such as a 308, 30-06, or 7.62x54 as compared to an assault rifle cartridge such as a 223 or 7.62x39. Also, if you're hunting, the 223 is not legal for deer in many states.

I'm a big 308 fan. Surprisingly a bone stock saiga 308 doesn't have huge recoil. My 300 wby on the other hand... :cryss: