Could a mod to the S-12 carrier solve top round deformation?

How bout it guys?, can it be done? Maybe with a redesigned carrier?

I remember a poster from long ago who said that he is a LEO, and that he solved the top round deformation problem by changing the angle on the bottom of the bolt carrier by removing enough material to allow a full mag to be locked in on a closed bolt without the top round being pressed against the carrier. I was concerened that this mod would weaken the carrier enough to cause a falure. I wonder if a custom made Titanium carrier with this mod would be possable? Would be nice if our"AK" shoties could use any ammo in a crisis/survival situation without need to be concerend with top round deformation. A carrier like that would be worth some $ to me. Could a proto type be made out of a factory carrier, and then be cnc'd out of stronger material?

Tony, Battle Rifle, Equinox, any ideas on this one?

No, actually I think he's thinking about St.Peter's polishing mod to that steel "finger" that sticks out on top of the barrel and supposedly helps guide the shells in. :unsure:

I modded the bolts on both my 12 and 410 to solve that problem. It didn't completely cure it, didn't make it PERFECT, but it's both a lot easier to insert a mag and helps keep the tip of the first round from flattening. Not much else you can do as far as I can see.

Modding the mag would do nothing as far as I can guess..................

Edited by tomovich

I found the post that I was thinking of. It is the bolt, rather than the carrier. I started this thread without taking a look at the S-12 first. Link, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...amp;p=2398&

Posted by LEO:

"Hey Guys:

I have an older Saiga that I traded into the first year they were on the market in the US. I am a police officer so I can do pretty much anything I want to this thing. I have relocated the pistol grip and put a bunch of Galil parts on it, Galil folder, pistol grip, forend and safety/selector (operated with the left thumb). I had to modify the bolt to allow a magazine to be inserted by machining a shallower angle on the bottom where it contacts the first shell. I still have to put PSI ghost ring sights on it, but It,s getting real close to the parkerize and paint stage and appears that it will be a viable weapon system. I was teaching a shotgun class at the academy last week and took it out and ran it a little. It preformed well although it still has only a little stud for a front sight left over from the original sighting system. I was wondering about a couple of things. I assume the gas chamber is pressed to the barrel as I knocked the pin out of it and was unable to get it off. I also assume that the gas chamber has to be removed to get the "gas tube" off the gun, also I am considering titling this weapon and was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience cutting the barrel on these weapons without pressing the gas block off? This shotgun started life with a 24 inch barrel and I have cut it to 18 inches, but upon test firing it found that it would cycle only 2.75 inch high brass with the gas regulator set in the number 2 position. I also want to modify a Galil bolt carrier for this weapon, but I'm not sure it will fit. has anyone tried a standard AK carrier in their Saiga? I realize the gas piston portion of the Galil carrier will have to be cut, but I'm not sure It will fit the rails. I'm hoping you guys can build Saigas just like it after September of 2004.

I'll post photos of this weapon in a couple of months when it's finished,

Richard "

I have a spare bolt that I'll see if I can mod it like stimpy did when I get some time to tinker. This top round deformation issue is the biggest weakness that I see with the S-12. Especially considering the new goodies about to come out.(Halo rail, Jeric's last round bolt hold open, US ten rounders, ect...)Seems like there has to be some way to cure it. That's the only reason I don't use it as my go to shotty even though it has a special place in my heart, and a good amount of my funds tied up in it. :wub:

Edited by cscharlie