Zeroing an 8X POSP scope...

Ok... simple enough... mount to gun... shoot... adjust...

Now... what I am asking for is HOW do I adjust the little dials and wheels once the scope is zeroed... or CLOSE to zero... so that the red lines, all are aligned for ZERO... the numbers are returned to zero at the base points... and adjustments made from there?

PLEASE do not go and copy and paste links or images from the pdf files and doc files of the manuals that are english translations of the russian... I have done/seen all that... and I still have NO CLUE what the fuck they are talking about...

I am hopeful someone out there has fiddlefucked with theirs... figured it out in REAL american english/common sense and can RELAY that info to me here in useful, UNDERSTANDABLE, and perhaps even graphical terms... ( have ya taken any pics that can assist me??)

I would like to be able to tweak and zero the POSP scope I have on my PSL... and I just cant seem to get it "QUITE THERE"... as one click at this point is TOO FAR on the paper...

I am just not quite ready to go unscrewing little screws on the turrets in hopes that " I will figure it out..." without knowing WTF I am doing... at $150.00 for an optic... I prefer to do it right the first time, if possible.

Thanks!!!

i dunno what to tell ya for the click being too much thing.. i know what you mean, and do not know the solution.

but as for resetting the knobs so they say zero when its zero'd, i got it as close as i could considering the click size, then loosened (not removed) the two screws toward the edge of each turret. edit: NOT the center srews

then i reset the windage knob to zero, and the elevation knob to one (since i sighted in at 100)

then i re-tightened the screws.

it sounded like a regular click when i did this, but the crosshair didn't move when the screws were loose.

the manual says, in somewhat broken english, that to reset it to factory alignment, simply loosen the srews, align the red marks to eachother and retighten.

Edited by 44rdv4rk
Yup, that is how you do it. Loosen the two silver screws and move the silver numbered part of the turret so the numbers are back at 0, then retighten. To go to factory zero, line up the red marks. Easy if you know how to do it.

Exactly. Just adjust to zero, and then loosen the two silver screws and hold the top while you turn the part with the numbers back to zero. Once you get it set to 50 or 100, you should be good to go. Just remember it is in meters, not yards.

Hmm... if this one is a 4 MOA adjustment per click... the fucker is going to be "FOR SALE"...

How the fuck can ANYONE adjust a scope if each click is 4" at 100 yards?!?!?!?

Will have to take it to the range tomorrow and see what I can come up with...

Thanks to yall for the insight...

:smoke:

yeah, 4moa sounds wrong, i didn't order the "pro version" and it's still half inch clicks at 100, which i think is big, since my other scopes are all 1/4 moa adjustments. 4moa adjustments and you might as well just use irons. :-/

mayby they sent me the good one for the regular price. lol

somebody want to enlighten me as to why anyone would even make a 4moa click optic? or are you talking 1moa adjustments? 1" per click? thats still a tad bit much if you ask me.

somebody want to enlighten me as to why anyone would even make a 4moa click optic? or are you talking 1moa adjustments? 1" per click? thats still a tad bit much if you ask me.

I may be wrong, but from I recall reading an article on Soviet optics that claimed the POSP had 4moa adjustments. All I know that is sure is that the PRO models feature 1/2moa adjustments.

Kalinka manual shows 10 cm per "full notch" click at 100 meters, or after doing the math, 3.60 inches at 100.0 yards for POSP scope. You can do a half click, so 1.8 inches per adjustment at 100 yards.

In the paragraph regarding windage:

"Each movement of the dial one full notch is equal to 0.1 meters of line of sight movement at 100 meters and 0.3 meters aad 0.3 meters at 300 meters. The lock, which is located on the turret, allows the turret t obe set in between two notches."

In section on elevation:

"The dial at the top of the scope is for adjusting for range. Again each number indicates 100 meters of range. Hence if you are firing at a target 200 meters distant you would set the dial on "2". The dial ladjusts in 50 meter increments. Setting it on "0" would be for close in firing of less than 50 meters."

IMG_1481_resize.jpg

Edited by tritium

this is confusing... my manual shows 6.5 cm movement per "scale indication" at 100m. which is 2.5" at 100m per"scale indication"

there are 2 clicks per "scale indication", so thats 3.25 cm each click, or 1.25"

i double checked the distance to my berm from my picnic table (where i sighted in), i had paced it off at 100 yds, but when checked by actually flipping a yardstick.... (yes i have too muh time on my hands), it is 88 yds, or just over 80m, so that should be 80% of the movement per click as 100m, which would be 1" per click, but i have 1/2, ...maybe 5/8 inch per click.

im sorry, this post is probably doing nothing to help, but im just trying to make sense of it.

i guess i need to step bigger when pacing distances :-/

anyway, indy, it looks like since we both got the 8x from eastwave, you should have 1-1/4 inch clicks at 100meters and 1-1/8 clicks at 100yards, according to the documentation, but real life *may* vary.

WELL... I took the 8X POSP which is mounted on my PSL to the range today... to see what was up with it... and try to sight it in.

First off, let me address the issue of range calibration on the top dial and meters distance... It seems to me that the top dial when turned for range will act more like a bullet drop compensator as ranges increase, if the literature is how I decypher it... that said... lets move on...

I was shooting today at the range, and was able to NICELY zero the scope with reloads... (Pics to follow when I get them scanned in...)

The left and right was at factory zero, and the elevation was at the number 6... yes, SIX!

At 100 yards the elevation is set at 6 to hit zero. go figure... nevertheless... its zeroed and thats fine!

Bullets within an inch at 100... close enough for me, for now, with this rifle. When I can get it locked into a vise, and not just half-assed off the bench, I think it will do even better. :up:

Heres the pic of the target... 2 shots... I didnt want to press my luck... first shot broke the orange, second was a hair high... I guess if ya measure it, its more like a 1/2" group give or take... Still... with the PSL at 100 yards thats still very decent!!! :up:

sightinPSLB.jpg

so how far was a click on your scope???

Well, yanno... it is hard to say... probably close to 1/2 inch give or take... you have to understand some of the extenuating circumstances that make it difficult to accurately judge...

1... I was shooting WOLF ammo to start with, and out of the PSL I am lucky if I can get a 2" group at 100 yards. I used that to get it CLOSE...

2... I was shooting off a sandbag in the front, myself at the rear... not the most stable platform for sighting in a rifle...

3... I am a CHEAP BASTARD... and didnt want to shoot too many of my reloads at the target... JUST enough to see what did what... and it was on target already so I quit and said "good enough". LOL

See... my reloads are good for ONLY ONE SHOT... brand new brass... once fired... ready for the shitcan, as the PSL ruins them completely... I shot two of the speer 150 grain HOT-COR spitzer... those were low... and then the two you saw on target were either one or the other of the Sierra Pro-Hunter 150 or 125 grain spitzers. OR... as its been so long and I dont recall which were which, other than a black dot on the primer to differentiate between the two loads... it could have been bass-ackwards... I will need to pull and weigh one of each to re-verify what load is what... SO... one load is one or the other of those 3... I will need to figure out which one is the better shooting load. Heaven forbid I wrote it down, and kept it WITH THE BULLETS THEMSELVES... that would have been intelligent!

4... the barrel gets HOT quickly... and POI changes as the temperature changes... so I was taking my time to keep the barrel cool... and didnt want to fiddlefuck with testing as I it got zeroed in with about 5 rounds...

So... take all that as you will and figure accordingly... LOL :up::lol:

After you get it zeroed, whether it is pointing to 6 or whereever, loosen the two silver screws on top, and rotate JUST the numbered back to "1" (assuming you zeroed at 100). Then tighten back up.

Now you have a bullet drop comp, with 50 yd. clicks. So if the range finder tells you it is 350 meters, turn the top dial to 3.5 and bang!

Well... today I got to do a little shooting with this PSL at 400 yards with the optics and reloads.

I was shooting at a 12" X 12" spinner of 1/2" steel plate I built. The spinner is actually two 12" X 12" plates centered on a pipe that rotates about the central axis. The lower of the two plates also has a 3/8" 10" X 10" plate welded in the center of the 12 by 12 to give weight for the automatic "reset" to vertical.

With the reloads, and the top turret set on "4"... I was hitting minute of dirtbag EVERY TIME with the PSL. I was able to hit the lower 12" X 12" plate with each shot!

I did not bother to see WHERE on the plate it was hitting. I know from the movement and the noise that each round scored a HIT... so that was good enough for me...

I would consider that worthy of a "kill" on deer sized game or larger at that range. If not a kill... it would certainly put a hurting on whatever was on the receiving end. :lol: LOL

Well, to be sure... the Rifle CAME WITH a 4x posp scope already zeroed from the factory... that one always worked awesome... I just wanted to double the magnification by going to the 8X... The replacement is NOT the same as the OEM optic...

Well...right there is the problem... KANLINKA... I wouldnt be suprised if the optics they sell are not the same as the ones from Eastwave... The chart shows 20 clickable inclinations... mine has only 12 or 14... not sure its over there in the case, I dont feel like opening it and looking, but I KNOW its not 20...

Mine also has the units get further apart as the elevation increases... again... it is more like a BDC than a "click/inch" turret... It hit where it was supposed to yesterday, lets just leave it all at that...

I got the turret adjusted as I hoped with yalls help, I thank those that hooked me up with the info!

THAT was the info I needed... :up: